D700 or 5D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokaicila

Jun 15, 2008
lumiac.com
my friend has a d300, 2 flashed, sb900 n800, tokina 11-16mm. 85mm and a 17-50 f2.8. he is going to move to full frame. should he move to canon? cos he prefer to shoot without flash.

He's already got Nikon equipment, so staying with Nikon would be good as he can reuse his gear, even the flash if he ever needs to.
But the 11-16 and 17-50, they are both APS-C lenses, which would vignette heavily on the D700, unless there was the DX crop like the D3.
Staying with Nikon will allow him to use the lenses and flashes he already has, and he would already be familiar with Nikon, I think the D700 :)

Without flash 5D (regardless any other reason e.g cost, existing set up, camera handling, etc.) :)

With all the other reasons and flash, D700.
Unless he himself has a compelling reason to want to switch systems to even consider about 5D

Ryan

He should know wat is comfortable for himself:confused: Or rent both sys n test it out. :)

my friend has a d300, 2 flashed, sb900 n800, tokina 11-16mm. 85mm and a 17-50 f2.8. he is going to move to full frame. should he move to canon? cos he prefer to shoot without flash.

whatever his preference is. just get him to sell those above in BnS thread. i'll be waiting....:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

newer product doesnt mean better product but however it shd be an improve product.

since he already have so much Nikon equipment
i think he should get the D700
Its costs a lot to switch system

The D700 is new tech. Performance should be better. If want compare i think must wait for canon's upgrade for the 5D.

he should go for d700 or if he wants wait for 5d replacement

Hi guys, thanks for ur suggestions, actualli Hokaicila is refering to me, ytd toss n turn on bed to think abt this until i cannot tahan ask Hokaicila to post for me and ask for some opinion.

The reason why i want to move to full frame, as Hokaicila mention, is because i want to capture most of my shots with natural light. for such high iso performance cam(other than D3)
this D700 and 5D are of my preferance, and all that i could think of.

I've read some reviews on both cams and tried on them as well. Both are awesome cams imo, and im really having a hard time choosing. Here are 2 scenario i might end up with.
Could you guys give me some advice?

Scenario 1: Switch to Canon
I will need to sell away every piece of gear i have now and get a 5D, 24-70mm f2.8, 580EX II(for standby). Im shooting weddings most of the time, so i guess i need a 2nd body and some prime lens.

Scenario 2: D700
I will need to sell my tokina 11-16mm, 17-55mm. Get D700 with 24-70mm and my D300 remains as my 2nd cam. I could use some prime lens on D300, but im afraid in some low light condition,
D300's max usable iso limit is about <1600.

My ideal set up for lens is a standard zoom or wide angle on the 1st body. prime lens on the 2nd body. Which 2 body would you guys recommend?
Ofcourse, i won't be able to get them all one shot, but at least i got an idea of where i will be moving to when im financially able to.

Hope this will not sound too confusing. And thanks for your time in reading this.:)

why is he asking such questions when hes using that level of equipment?
i find that weird...

i find that weird...

No harm in asking. I think you asking this question is a bit silly though, and me replying maybe sillier... horhorhor

Im shooting weddings most of the time,

Are you a professional wedding photographer? I hope not, as you don't know what cam to use.

i find that weird...
So you mean when you go to this LEVEL of equipment, you will have no doubts and doesnt need anybody's opinion anymore?

Are you a professional wedding photographer? I hope not, as you don't know what cam to use.
Im not a pro wedding photog at the moment, but is trying real hard to become one. And yes, i hv done my research, tried and still don't know what cam to use, that explains why i wanna get some opinions from you guys, if not, i won't be bother to even post this and make myself sounds weird. But hey, at least i know what lens to use. its not that bad after all, isn't it?

Last edited:
your D300 and 17-55mm and add a 85mm 1.4 and you are good enough for actual day.

I got my answer and decided not to make things seem 'Weird'. My apologies if in any way, my post makes u uncomfortable. and thanks for most of ur guy's valuable input. Hope that one day, i will be a PRO that knows it all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.