D70 - Wrong Color Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoyip

Mar 29, 2004
www.activemediastudio.com
Shot this at Sentosa during the Garden Festival, the purple water tulip got a very strong blue cast rendering the actual color wrong (blue instead of purple)

This is the shot (Wrong Colors):
sentosa_08.jpg

The correct color should be closer to this (Shot by another CSer):
fengwei said:

Tried diff WB settings but no use, anyone know of any fix?

geoyip said:
Shot this at Sentosa during the Garden Festival, the purple water tulip got a very strong blue cast rendering the actual color wrong (blue instead of purple)

sentosa_08.jpg

i dunno how to fix but the blue one looks alot nicer!!! :bsmilie:

If you happen to shoot in RAW... try NC.

A number of things could have gone wrong:
did you use any filters or flash?
then are you shooting RAW or jpeg?
if jpeg which colour space are you using? Does it match with the one you use in your processing software?
if you are shooting RAW, what RAW converter are you using? i compared NC, Photoshop, Rawshooter and Thumbsplus, they give you all different results because they interpret the data different.
is your system colour managed? then you may be mixing colour spaces....
and last but not least it might be the sensor of your camera.

you see there are several reasons why you get different results for another CS. If your friend did not use the same cam, same accessories, same software and same computer settings, then its hard to compare....

I notice the LCD will show blue, when downloaded and viewed on a color-profiled monitor it should show the correct colours.

Alternatively shoot in RAW.

Thanks for replying.

I shot using Flash with different WB setting (all show the blue instead of purple).

My settings/software:
- Jpeg
- aRGB
- Photoshop

Pls correct if i'm wrong:
Since I'm using Jpeg with aRGB set as color space, and photoshop there should not be any color shifts right? From my understanding if you move from one color space with a larger color gamut to another with a lower color gamut, say for eg from aRGB to sRGB/CMYK, you will have shifts in "color" but color remains the same, meaning bright reds to muted reds, even thou color has shifted, but they are still reds.

The thing that puzzles me here is that I'm getting tonal shifts (purple to blue). Isit becos of the close relation between purple and blue? or I'm getting the whole thing wrong?

If your profile is showing CMYK or LAB there still will be colour shifts. In order to make sure what you get is what you see, you need to profile your monitor again and check.

Hi George, thanks for linking my photo over here for comparison ;)

I shot mine in jpg sRGB, AWB, no flash. I think it might because the use of flash here on this case. Your flower does look nicer (more vivid and colorful) but abit too much blue just like you said. But it doesn't feel as smooth and soft as the flower should be like. Next time you try one without using flash and see if you can get the color right.

Another thing is that different brand cameras handle/process colors differently, and even different leses give different cast/tune sometimes.

And to be honest, I like yours better ;)

Cheers.

It's because you have used AdobeRGB and then didn't convert it to sRGB for web view. Your image doesn't have an embedded RGB profile, and so most programs will assume it is sRGB when it actually is AdobeRGB (also, most web browsers won't understand AdobeRGB, only sRGB)

What I did was take your image, opened it up in PS using the AdobeRGB workspace and then converted it to sRGB before saving it again as another jpg (did not make any colour changes) seems to be more purple now and less blue.

95761761_4ca1ffc518_o.jpg

When it comes to shooting purple coloured things I can only get it right when I set the colour space of the camera to Ia (sRGB).
The other 2 settings, II (Adobe RGB) and IIIa (sRGB) will turn the purple colour to blue.:dunno:

fndjufri said:
When it comes to shooting purple coloured things I can only get it right when I set the colour space of the camera to Ia (sRGB).
The other 2 settings, II (Adobe RGB) and IIIa (sRGB) will turn the purple colour to blue.:dunno:

that is correct. the gamut for the other 2 profiles cannot handle the color. shoot in RAW for detail, not for color. and use the appropriate color space to handle the colors. cheers!

leonzhu said:
that is correct. the gamut for the other 2 profiles cannot handle the color. shoot in RAW for detail, not for color. and use the appropriate color space to handle the colors. cheers!
GHOST!!!!

leonzhu said:

AdobeRGB has a larger gamut than sRGB.

fndjufri said:
The other 2 settings, II (Adobe RGB) and IIIa (sRGB) will turn the purple colour to blue.

If you open an AdobeRGB file in an application that does not understand AdobeRGB (ie a web browser), the colour shown will not be what was actually specified.

gooseberry said:
AdobeRGB has a larger gamut than sRGB.

If you open an AdobeRGB file in an application that does not understand AdobeRGB (ie a web browser), the colour shown will not be what was actually specified.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

espn: what ghost?

gooseberry: i know adobeRGB has a wider gamut, i didn't say it is 'out-of-gamut'. but good job on the clarification!

Any curves, saturation, contrast, whatever setting you set in your camera? Sometimes the 'Auto' setting in the camera may caused a slight colour change as the camera will process the photo on save... especially when you're shooting JPEG.

Personally I have tried shooting in RAW mode w/o custom curve, then apply the custom curve in NC... and to shoot the same RAW pic, same time, same place with the custom curve enabled on the camera... both picture looks slight different in terms of colours, contrast, saturation, etc. :)

leonzhu said:
espn: what ghost?

gooseberry: i know adobeRGB has a wider gamut, i didn't say it is 'out-of-gamut'. but good job on the clarification!
GHOST - people reappearing after vanishing from the earth for over a long period of time :bsmilie:

geoyip said:

Try changing your flash?

espn said:
GHOST - people reappearing after vanishing from the earth for over a long period of time :bsmilie:

right... yup haven't been posting or monitoring the forums much since i joined the army. good to see some people still remember me!

leonzhu said:
right... yup haven't been posting or monitoring the forums much since i joined the army. good to see some people still remember me!
How to forget you, your D100 is so special, mine 4 NEF, yours 6, remember? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.