D70 white balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernards

Feb 17, 2004
I just got the D70 and the white balancing on auto doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. Besides folking out $240 for the Expodisc. Anybody know of good materials and tips for getting accurate white balancing?

Just train up and use manual WB to recognise the different conditions. Very easy and you can even get a rough idea on the LCD. I don't think serious users use auto WB.

Welcome to the world of SLRs. Manual could be a joy you know?

I was wondering what is a good white object to do the white balancing. A particular brand of A4 paper? A commercially avaliable white card?

Hmmm. If the auto WB on the D70 is so far off all the time. I am thinking it might not be a bad idea to pay for the Expodisc.

No need Expodisc. A cheap option is to try a pringles cap or something similar. I am using my Nikon Polarizer II casing. Works very well for me. Juz another option u can explore. Let me know if u like the results. :)

Actually D70 already has something built in for WB, it's called RAW :)

2100 said:
Just train up and use manual WB to recognise the different conditions. Very easy and you can even get a rough idea on the LCD. I don't think serious users use auto WB.

Welcome to the world of SLRs. Manual could be a joy you know?

u are right 2100.. :thumbsup: i always use "Pre" setting to recognise the different condition.. veli nice WB..

Bernard u can try it n see the result .. u will :heart: it :D

i think that any white paper will do for the PRE white balance... dont need these special grey cards and what not...

Actually the auto white balancing is not that bad, and you can do fine-tuning. I personally find the auto white balance a bit too cool so I set it at -2 to get it a little warmer. Some have even gone for -3.

Using Preset is good idea, but shooting in RAW is even better since you can adjust the white balance later on the computer.

The pringles cap caught my attention. :D

I intend to shoot in raw sometimes. But having to process so many files after a shoot is quite a task. I'll probably do it for selected pics.

Thanks for all the good advice!

CAMEDIA said:
No need Expodisc. A cheap option is to try a pringles cap or something similar. I am using my Nikon Polarizer II casing. Works very well for me. Juz another option u can explore. Let me know if u like the results. :)

The translucent Pringles can doesn't work well. Sometimes it causes a blue cast. Seems to work in certain situations. But those Philips power saving blubs seem to cause havoc.

Heh, take note that Pringles caps these days are CLEAR already :cry: .. not so easy to find the white ones anymore...

Heh, I was just about to ask about this... I've been playing with PRE over the last 2 days and get pretty good results indoors, measuring off white walls, the fridge, etc. My question is this: if you use a white object, (like a piece of paper) where do you put it before measuring?
Do you position it facing the main source of light?
What happens if you have many light sources some have a yellow cast, some blue (or tungsten)?

bernards said:
But those Philips power saving blubs seem to cause havoc.

If you wanna know why, just shoot them bulbs or tubes directly at 3fps for 10 frames, set the WB manually to a fixed colour temp. Review on the monitor.

dementate said:
What happens if you have many light sources some have a yellow cast, some blue (or tungsten)?

What happens, well it wrecks havoc, that's what happens for auto. :) If you do take events, most times you'd notice that for an environment that is lit by tungsten lighting and you use pics, the flash would look an unnatural blue if it hits hotspots on the face or spectacles reflecting the flash back.

Just make it a habit when taking pictures to set the WB. It's that simple.

Gymrat76 said:
Heh, take note that Pringles caps these days are CLEAR already :cry: .. not so easy to find the white ones anymore...

hint: ask henry

Status
Not open for further replies.