d70 vs 300d wad is the different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangxie

Jan 22, 2005
singapore
i so sorri to ask silly qns. i veri curious. this 2 set are one of the common set that pple have. when it comes to dslr.

don mind if u would fill in my doubt. i book in at nitz as im serving ns. can u guy leave mi as much info as possible. coz next week. i going to buy either a d70 at store or

a second hand 300d with softwares,
manuals and Kit (a Canon EFs 18-55mm lense).
Free extra battery.
Includes Canon EOS 300D BG-E1 battery grip
Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 LENS
extended warrenty for 3yrs

u guy decide for mi. mi too and tell mi the different
thks so much

Hi,

You can check out this website: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/
for D70 and this for 300D: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/
That would give you lots more information than can be explained from posting a reply.

For each of the reviews, check out the 'Compared to' sections to see comparisons of D70 and 300D, and also the 'Conclusion' section for a quick comparison (best to go through all the sections though - it's not a cheap investment).

Personally, I prefer the 'out of the camera' picture quality from the Canon (which has been described as 'silky smooth', but a bit of finer detail may be smoothed out compared to the Nikon. Then again, that level of detail may not be visible unless you're printing huge pictures - A3 or greater size - or you may prefer it that way - compare the pictures in the review for yourself. It's all a matter of how you like your pictures).

Other features, you'll need to look at the reviews.

Other than that, there's one more thing that makes a difference to me personally - that the Nikon has a better response for Infrared photography. That said, I'd rather have the silky smooth picture and trade-off for IR (that again is my preference - you may think otherwise).

The bottom line is that - You have to decide for yourself - based on the features you think you'll need most and the picture quality you like best.

Hope that helps.

In this kind of circumstand....you got to consider if you want to pay full price of D70 at store(should be aroun 1.7k) or the secondhand price of the Canon? The saving could be spend on some accessories :thumbsup:

But if in general term, during my purchase time my consideration was base on the build quality, lens mount(compatibility) and the resale value :think: In car term I always regards Canon as Honda(very advance and powerful) and Nikon as Toyota(very safe and consistant) :lovegrin:

now is not the time to buy, wait till end feb after PMA (Photo Marketing Association ) exhibition

loupgarou said:
now is not the time to buy, wait till end feb after PMA (Photo Marketing Association ) exhibition

i agree... even theres no new model of budget dslr.... the new midrange dslr would also affect the current dslr models' price to go down....

Depend on which camp u are in.

Having own both before (one is still current), they have their advantage and disadvantage. But generally, both are okay. U just need to get use to the camera functions and settings. Practices makes perfect for photo-taking techniques.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am now with 300D (black). Simpler to use. Everything wonderful except for that plastic looking body. After a while, get use to that.

The Grip on the 300D is shiok man. Lens not too keen and have since changed.
The 75-300mm is a nice start for beginner. At 300mm range, your NS shooting technique very applicable.

Most important is that you try both cameras hands on. Get the feel and read up on the review before making a decision. If you have a growing interest in photography, your upcoming decision should not be based on price alone. Then again, they are just equipment -- spend more time on photography than on equipment and you will see positive results.

one's a nikon
the other's a canon

essentially u not goin into juz a camera but a system....both models have its pros and cons in design and capabilities... but the lens system that u purchase most prob will last u through more than these models if u stay on in photog...

so like said, juz follow ya heart.... for me....i followed my dad's footsteps ahha....

cheers..

AFAIK, as long as I throw any camera into megaweb's hands, the images will always come out breath taking. :sweat:

In terms of features wise, I'm sure all will agree D70 wins. Ultimately it's your preference and liking of the system that matters more.

WRT to PMA, yes, I'd agree with loupgarou.

actually.i nv touch or feel both set at all. i abt to start my learning. in the meaning time i researching on the basic of photography. that gives mi a general understanding on camera.

PMA where is it held, when exactly is the date.

o0 ya. wad are the lens. that is gd to start with??? for mi. do u think i should get 50mm len too

i realise that the colour for the 300d is more warmer and does not shows the exact colour of the real thing. is there anyway to compensate for than. i saw in the review. d70 pic on the build is so grey but for the 300d is not.

i also realise the on for d70 is fast for 300d is slow.

the shutter speed for d70 is faster than 300d.

is there any canon user who want to speak up for 300d

(words and term abt used may be veri layman as im not a pro, no gd in explaining too, pardon mi, i admit i someone who do not know much, the comparison maybe wrong too.feel free to point at mi or critise.thks)

pangxie said:
i realise that the colour for the 300d is more warmer and does not shows the exact colour of the real thing. is there anyway to compensate for than. i saw in the review. d70 pic on the build is so grey but for the 300d is not.

i also realise the on for d70 is fast for 300d is slow.

the shutter speed for d70 is faster than 300d.

is there any canon user who want to speak up for 300d

(words and term abt used may be veri layman as im not a pro, no gd in explaining too, pardon mi, i admit i someone who do not know much, the comparison maybe wrong too.feel free to point at mi or critise.thks)

Techically speaking, things like shutter flash sync speeds, camera start-up time...etc the D70 is superior, but that's cos the D70 is newer than the 300D.

When Canon release their newer budget DSLR, rumored to be the 350D, it might be better than D70, and vice versa.

So Features and technically gizmos aside, both Cameras are equally good performers. As they are from a Family of Excellent Camera makers and Lens makers, Canon and Nikon.

So is the Konica minolta's new DSLR.

Just learn to stick to which ever choice u decide to make, and take more great pictures.

(Honestly, I see more people perferring Canon over Nikon due to Canon's agressive adverstiments and many people I know "believe" Canon is the camera of choice simply cos many News reporters and such in the TV use it)
Talk abt the power of Marketing... :bsmilie:

(I'm a Nikon user though...cos my uncle uses a Nikon and I have grown up thinking Nikon to be the brand for cameras (yeah.. stupid reasoning)...lol so its really a personal choice)

Both cameras are equally good. Close your eyes and pick one and I dont think u will be disappointed.

wad is AF mode - single and continous(d70) and also not selectable(300d)

AF asist-white lamp(d70) and flash stroble must be up(300d)

exp compen and flash compen for d70 and 300d - does it have a big difference

i chose D70 becos a couple key reasons..

1. very flexible and very acceptable ISO-Noise ratio across its entire spectrum, can tell from manifest samples of tests all over...to me this is like buffering as much stops into the camera as possible, prior landing a pricy VR lens. better yet, when stops simply cant drop further, the output at max iso is still very well controlled.

2. actually accumulation of a few key features...
a. good battery life (very very impt!)
b. fast startup ('ok' impt)
c. less-plasticky build ('ok' impt)
d. AF -assist ('ok' imp)
e. worthy lens kit (very impt...as understand that the 300d lens kit's worth closer sub-$200 as vs the D70's at $400++?, so imagine the ACTUAL worth of the already advance D70 body pitted against that of the 300D)

yeah believe canon be putting up a new champion very soon..though nikon's own announcements already show its not giving any leeway.

cheers

itisnottheend.org said:
i chose D70 becos a couple key reasons..

1. very flexible and very acceptable ISO-Noise ratio across its entire spectrum, can tell from manifest samples of tests all over...to me this is like buffering as much stops into the camera as possible, prior landing a pricy VR lens. better yet, when stops simply cant drop further, the output at max iso is still very well controlled.

2. actually accumulation of a few key features...
a. good battery life (very very impt!)
b. fast startup ('ok' impt)
c. less-plasticky build ('ok' impt)
d. AF -assist ('ok' imp)
e. worthy lens kit (very impt...as understand that the 300d lens kit's worth closer sub-$200 as vs the D70's at $400++?, so imagine the ACTUAL worth of the already advance D70 body pitted against that of the 300D)

yeah believe canon be putting up a new champion very soon..though nikon's own announcements already show its not giving any leeway.

cheers

I bought the D70 in April Last year. Sold it 6 months later. Now with 300D .........................

Both have its own Pro and Con. It's endless debate to know which is better. However you should know photography is an expensive hobby and very soon you will realise that both systems do provide expensive investment.

I would suggest you to join the SEED or outing. Try to borrow both systems and see which one you like better.

Waz said:
I bought the D70 in April Last year. Sold it 6 months later. Now with 300D .........................
care to explain your reason? Planning to get a DSLR. Still considering between D70 or 300D. Maybe your advise will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.