D70 user needs an upgrade. Help!

joeyjoey

Aug 10, 2007
west.
www.riverbelow1.blogspot.com
I've been using the Nikon D70 since I was 15. That was about 7 years ago. I realized that there are specks in my photos (always the same spot) and would like to know if this is due to the prolonged negligence of my camera? I'm bound for Australia for a year for my studies after I ORD, so I'm looking to get a newer more functional camera. The D70 does little at high iso setting as we all know, so I'd really love for you guys, the professionals to solve my dilemma.

I've looked through marketplace and realized that my camera is now worth only 250-350 dollars. So I'm just wondering if I should spend the money to send it for cleaning and servicing (how much will that cost) or look at a newer Dslr. Then again, I'm torn between a dslr or a semi pro compact camera (is that what they call it?), something like a really powerful canon powershot or the Olympus pen? Or I'm hearing the Nikon coolpix? I'd really need some recommendations. I don't wish to settle for quality lower than my current dslr cos that just doesn't make any sense.

If not, should I be looking at dslr? I'll rather buy one from Nikon because I have various accessories like a sb600 that I have painstakingly save up pocket money to buy. Haha.. So I'll really appreciate if any one of you, who's more in tune to the current market, can give and offer your advice to someone who's not been in the market for several years already.

Thank you, and a Happy New Year to all!

I've been using the Nikon D70 since I was 15. That was about 7 years ago. I realized that there are specks in my photos (always the same spot) and would like to know if this is due to the prolonged negligence of my camera? I'm bound for Australia for a year for my studies after I ORD, so I'm looking to get a newer more functional camera. The D70 does little at high iso setting as we all know, so I'd really love for you guys, the professionals to solve my dilemma.

I've looked through marketplace and realized that my camera is now worth only 250-350 dollars. So I'm just wondering if I should spend the money to send it for cleaning and servicing (how much will that cost) or look at a newer Dslr. Then again, I'm torn between a dslr or a semi pro compact camera (is that what they call it?), something like a really powerful canon powershot or the Olympus pen? Or I'm hearing the Nikon coolpix? I'd really need some recommendations. I don't wish to settle for quality lower than my current dslr cos that just doesn't make any sense.

If not, should I be looking at dslr? I'll rather buy one from Nikon because I have various accessories like a sb600 that I have painstakingly save up pocket money to buy. Haha.. So I'll really appreciate if any one of you, who's more in tune to the current market, can give and offer your advice to someone who's not been in the market for several years already.

Thank you, and a Happy New Year to all!

Well... for the specks in your photos, it might be dust on the sensor, try blowing it with a rocket blower (don't breath onto your sensor though) and see if you can get it clean. If not, try to use a sensor swab or sent it to the shop (NSC, third party camera repair shops) to have the sensor cleaned.

If you start seeing web like objects in your picture, then... most probably it is due to fungus growth.

For good compact camera I would highly recommend the following,

1) Sony RX100 MKII (my favourite in term of compact camera, big sensor - 1 inch, small size and good enough range)
2) Olympus Stylus 1 - good IQ, great zoom range, pretty good and fast AF.
3) Fujifilm X20 - bigger sensor than Olympus Stylus 1, very very good IQ.
4) Nikon 1 series (V1/V2/J1/J2/J3) - same or similar 1 inch sensor as the RX100 mkII, but with the versatility of using different lenses. With adapter, you can use your old D70's lenses on it too and with almost no decrease in AF speed.
5) Canon S120 or G16 - both are good compact camera with good AF speed, and pretty small.

As for Olympus mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, I would highly recommend the EM5 - excellent image stabilization system, image quality and quite alright size. With the introduction of the EM1, the EM5 had been make pretty affordable price now.

Finally, none of us could actually give you too much advises without being abit bias and it will only add to your confusion. The wisest thing for you to do is to go down to the shop and test out the cameras, then see if you like which camera best.

Well... for the specks in your photos, it might be dust on the sensor, try blowing it with a rocket blower (don't breath onto your sensor though) and see if you can get it clean. If not, try to use a sensor swab or sent it to the shop (NSC, third party camera repair shops) to have the sensor cleaned.

If you start seeing web like objects in your picture, then... most probably it is due to fungus growth.

For good compact camera I would highly recommend the following,

1) Sony RX100 MKII (my favourite in term of compact camera, big sensor - 1 inch, small size and good enough range)
2) Olympus Stylus 1 - good IQ, great zoom range, pretty good and fast AF.
3) Fujifilm X20 - bigger sensor than Olympus Stylus 1, very very good IQ.
4) Nikon 1 series (V1/V2/J1/J2/J3) - same or similar 1 inch sensor as the RX100 mkII, but with the versatility of using different lenses. With adapter, you can use your old D70's lenses on it too and with almost no decrease in AF speed.
5) Canon S120 or G16 - both are good compact camera with good AF speed, and pretty small.

As for Olympus mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, I would highly recommend the EM5 - excellent image stabilization system, image quality and quite alright size. With the introduction of the EM1, the EM5 had been make pretty affordable price now.

Finally, none of us could actually give you too much advises without being abit bias and it will only add to your confusion. The wisest thing for you to do is to go down to the shop and test out the cameras, then see if you like which camera best.

Hey. Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll look through the list of cameras you have recommended. Just a quick question, how much does it usually cost to get my camera cleaned up?

I'm also looking at the Samsung NX210. Any thoughts on that? I don't wish to buy a compact camera that will compromise too much of quality.

Are the Nikon cameras you recommended compatible with my sb600 speedlight?

Thanks a bunch!

I was in your shoes. ;p D40 for 5-6 years (with a SB900), then a D7000, then a GH3 (m4/3).

My guesstimate: Sensor cleaning alone for a DX camera shouldn't cost more than $30.
Prices might have changed though. Cleaning for my D40 cost $20+ in 2012.

You can check with Nikon Service Centre:

Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
Service Centre / Showroom
23 Church Street #13-03/04 Capital Square, 049481 Singapore

6559 6363

-http://www.nikon.com.sg/en_SG/service/service_centers.page

All important question: What's your budget?

Might help to take stock of your d70 usage in the recent years + a forecast:
What do you use it for? Do you bring it out often?
Do you find yourself not bringing it out because of weight/bulk?
What kinda stuff do you plan to shoot in the next few years?

DSLR
If I wanted to spend as little as possible on a body upgrade within the system to keep things familiar, I'd sell the D70 and put the money towards getting a used D7000 (resale seems to be averaging around $800 at the moment). You'll still have your CLS, etc.

MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera)
- Really nice if you still want the flexibility of a DSLR in a smaller package. You would have to sell the D70 and the SB600. Many options! (check out a comparison of the different MILCs here) Am partial to m43 personally. Noticed in this thread that the OMD EM-5 body is approx $900 new? Maybe approx $1100-$1200 for the kit? (I'll leave it to others to advise on the price, not too familiar)

Fixed-lens compact with large sensor

- Would personally find it too limiting (for what I want to do) if this was the only camera I owned
- Usually see photogs owning one to complement an interchangeable lens system

Fixed-lens compact
- Why bother, I'd just use my phone

Last edited:
Hey. Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll look through the list of cameras you have recommended. Just a quick question, how much does it usually cost to get my camera cleaned up?

I'm also looking at the Samsung NX210. Any thoughts on that? I don't wish to buy a compact camera that will compromise too much of quality.

Are the Nikon cameras you recommended compatible with my sb600 speedlight?

Thanks a bunch!

Not too sure about the current rate of sensor cleaning. I remember quite some time ago when I sent my old Canon 40D to P&G camera for sensor cleaning, he charge me somewhere around S$25-S$40 (cannot remember too well now... old liao.)

Anyway, for the Nikon 1 series... I think only the V2 is able to use the SB600. Anyway... if you ask me... I think Nikon V2 is pretty good price nowadays (SRP at 999 with 10-30mm lens - remember to multiply by 2.7 crop factor so you essentially get a 27-81mm lens. You should be able to get a much cheaper street price.)

As for Samsung NX210, frankly I have not much experience with Samsung, did play with the NX1000 for a couple of hours when my colleague pass me her's to test once. It is easy to use, pretty good image quality... and somehow I was always forgetting about the Samsung... it just don't leave a deep impression on me.

Oh... by the way... the X20 and RX100mkII would not really affect IQ too much as compared to a DSLR. I mean... I believe they would have better IQ than your old D70... utilizing latest sensor and processing technology.

I didn't recommend single focal length compact cameras like the Coolpix A and Ricoh GR4 because in my own opinion, not everyone like or could use these camera easily. Unless you are very well verse with prime lenses, I would not go into these cameras (I know I wouldn't), but that is only me, you might like prime lenses so... don't limit yourself.

Another camera that had long been forgotten, but is selling pretty cheaply nowadays is the Canon G1X. It had a sensor that is larger than even the m4/3 sensor (by Olympus and Panasonic). The G1X offered excellent image quality, matching even the famed RX100 and in some aspect, surpassed the RX100. The only issue I have with it was its sluggish AF and long MFD...

Anyway, for the Nikon 1 series... I think only the V2 is able to use the SB600.

According to the V2 system chart, maybe not:

spec01.png

via: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/v2/compatibility01.htm

Oh... by the way... the X20 and RX100mkII would not really affect IQ too much as compared to a DSLR. I mean... I believe they would have better IQ than your old D70... utilizing latest sensor and processing technology.

i can believe it if you said the RX100mk2 or the V2, and even the G1X. but X20? that's pretty much smaller in terms of sensor size, and that's telling you what to expect in terms of High ISO and color.

i can believe it if you said the RX100mk2 or the V2, and even the G1X. but X20? that's pretty much smaller in terms of sensor size, and that's telling you what to expect in terms of High ISO and color.

Well... although I don't like to use DXOmark as a reference, but I cannot find any other thing online. Anyway, here is it,

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Fujifilm-FinePix-X10-versus-Nikon-D70___740_197

DXOmark doesn't seemed to have done a test on X20, so I attached the X10 result.

The X10 seemed to have better Color Depth and Dynamic Range as compared to D70, what D70 wins is its low light ISO. A look into dpreivew website, I also cannot find a direct comparison between X20 and D70, so I find another alternative - the D3000 (which had better scoring as compared to D70) and did a high ISO comparison between the a D3000 and X20... and I find the pic in X20 much cleaner.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x20/12

So taking that as something of a reference, I still say that X20 sensor and processor is better as compared to the very old D70.

Thank you all for spilling your generous advise. I really appreciate it.

To answer some of the questions about my personal usage:

Yes, I sometimes decide against bringing my camera out because of sheer size. But when the need arises, such as when travelling, or going to an event, I usually don't hesitate bringing my dslr out.

I used to shoot a lot of for my friend's local band. Stage setup, low lighting etc. I used my camera for my projects (diploma in Architecture and planning to do degree in same discipline in Australia after ORD) so we often go on site visits and do mock up models which we had to snap photos for our documentation and design process. When I travel, I find myself taking a lot of still images and street scenes. When I attend functions, I will delve into a little bit of portrait.

Well, so what I'm really saying is that perhaps I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none. Maybe I'm not too serious about it, just utilising my camera whenever possible.

Oh yes, and I recently came back not too long ago from Vietnam and found myself taking a lot of videos with my mobile phone. Stitch them all up together and if you guys are interested, you can watch my humble presentation in this link - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10151831116962592&id=627797591&__user=627797591

In the next few years, as I make my way to a foreign land to further my studies, I want to own a camera which can follow me with ease everywhere I go.

To a certain extent, I can say I'm quite concerned about outlook. So a camera which looks decent, looks "serious" will inevitably be a factor I will consider. Something like the Olympus pen series should suffice. For budget, I don't wish to spend anything more than 450 for a second hand set.

So there, maybe with that, you guys can better advise me? Keep them coming, I'm in camp now and practically have nothing to do. I've been reading up whichever camera model you guys put on the table faithfully.

Samsung nx210, Olympus pen series, Nikon v1... Hmm?

Last edited:
Thank you all for spilling your generous advise. I really appreciate it.

To answer some of the questions about my personal usage:

Yes, I sometimes decide against bringing my camera out because of sheer size. But when the need arises, such as when travelling, or going to an event, I usually don't hesitate bringing my dslr out.

I used to shoot a lot of for my friend's local band. Stage setup, low lighting etc. I used my camera for my projects (diploma in Architecture and planning to do degree in same discipline in Australia after ORD) so we often go on site visits and do mock up models which we had to snap photos for our documentation and design process. When I travel, I find myself taking a lot of still images and street scenes. When I attend functions, I will delve into a little bit of portrait.

Well, so what I'm really saying is that perhaps I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none. Maybe I'm not too serious about it, just utilising my camera whenever possible.

Oh yes, and I recently came back not too long ago from Vietnam and found myself taking a lot of videos with my mobile phone. Stitch them all up together and if you guys are interested, you can watch my humble presentation in this link - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10151831116962592&id=627797591&__user=627797591

In the next few years, as I make my way to a foreign land to further my studies, I want to own a camera which can follow me with ease everywhere I go.

To a certain extent, I can say I'm quite concerned about outlook. So a camera which looks decent, looks "serious" will inevitably be a factor I will consider. Something like the Olympus pen series should suffice. For budget, I don't wish to spend anything more than 450 for a second hand set.

So there, maybe with that, you guys can better advise me? Keep them coming, I'm in camp now and practically have nothing to do. I've been reading up whichever camera model you guys put on the table faithfully.

Samsung nx210, Olympus pen series, Nikon v1... Hmm?

Actually I would really advise that you take a trip down to the local store and have a hands on on those cameras and see which one you like. Since the camera is going to last you quite a while, I would advise that you up your budget. Yes... you will feel the pinch now... but you will enjoy it more in future. Do not make the same mistake as I, by going for something cheap... outgrow it pretty fast and keep upgrading bodies and lenses... if I have take more time and up my budget at the first instant, I will still be using that camera body and lenses till now and still save on money.

Since you are using it for your architecture studies and projects, I would really advise you to get the EM5 or even up the budget to get the A7. Trust me... It is cheaper in long run.

In this day and age, yes, please buy a mirrorless camera.

What's your budget like? I think a set of used X-E1 would be a great way to start. Save some money for a decent wide angle. You will need one for archi documentation for your studies. When I was did my Archi degree in Melbourne, a Nikon F100 + 20mm f/2.8, together with a Powershot G2 was the staple.

I suggest a used X-E1 + 14mm f/2.8. These will set you back about $2000.

Thank you all for spilling your generous advise. I really appreciate it. To answer some of the questions about my personal usage: Yes, I sometimes decide against bringing my camera out because of sheer size. But when the need arises, such as when travelling, or going to an event, I usually don't hesitate bringing my dslr out. I used to shoot a lot of for my friend's local band. Stage setup, low lighting etc. I used my camera for my projects (diploma in Architecture and planning to do degree in same discipline in Australia after ORD) so we often go on site visits and do mock up models which we had to snap photos for our documentation and design process. When I travel, I find myself taking a lot of still images and street scenes. When I attend functions, I will delve into a little bit of portrait. In the next few years, as I make my way to a foreign land to further my studies, I want to own a camera which can follow me with ease everywhere I go. To a certain extent, I can say I'm quite concerned about outlook. So a camera which looks decent, looks "serious" will inevitably be a factor I will consider. Something like the Olympus pen series should suffice. For budget, I don't wish to spend anything more than 450 for a second hand set. So there, maybe with that, you guys can better advise me? Keep them coming, I'm in camp now and practically have nothing to do. I've been reading up whichever camera model you guys put on the table faithfully. Samsung nx210, Olympus pen series, Nikon v1... Hmm?

I like that u r able to at least describe what u r looking for according to what u've shared.

From someone who has used a DSLR before , my guess is u r comfortable with interchangeable lens systems so it won't prob be advisable to drop it and go for a fixed lens.

I've tried most of the cameras recommended here (except the Samsung) and I'll just say plainly and simply: go for Olympus MFT.

Why ?

1. Doesn't kill your pocket to start. If u r into a good size with decent IQ , the EPL5 or EM5. U can start with a kit lens for nothing more than $700 buying a 2nd hand piece. Even the much older GX1 produce great photos.

What EM5 with 12-50mm can give u should impress u. And with the EM-1, EM-10 release, EM5 prices are going to be very good.

Yes , EM5 looks serious enough. If u are willing to splurge , get the EP5. The build , IQ and 5 axis IBIS is only matched or bettered by the top tier models in other brands which costs much more.

2. I understand this notion light is good. I've never dabbled in DSLRs for this simple reason. Take a look at the MFT 12-35/2.8 (24-70/2.8 equivalent and see how much weight u will save with little sacrifice in quality.

3. Start with a good MFT body, get the 12-50mm , 45/1.8 and u r already on the way to covering your needed focal lengths for portraits and street, travel. If u wana upgrade later, there are many options like the 12-40/2.8 , 7-14/4 , 75/1.8 that will only amaze u further.

4. Primes are easily available in MFT. Pack the body with a 17/1.8 or 20/1.7 and again , u have a light weight combo.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think for the record I should state that my budget is about 450 for a second hand camera. Any specific models?

Here are some which I've researched and have interest in. Maybe you can advise against them for some of the models?

Canon g1x, g15.

Nikon v1, j1, j2.

Samsung nx210.

How about those Nikon coolpix models which look like a mini dslr?

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of getting a 18-200mm lens (Samsung nx offers one of such. How about the rest?) for my daily commute and travel. Just not too sure if it will look awkwardly oversized on a compact camera. Lens should come in later. Something like a 14-50mm f2.8 sounds good.

I think for the record I should state that my budget is about 450 for a second hand camera. Any specific models?

Here are some which I've researched and have interest in. Maybe you can advise against them for some of the models?

Canon g1x, g15.

Nikon v1, j1, j2.

Samsung nx210.

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of getting a 18-200mm lens (Samsung nx offers one of such. How about the rest?) for my daily commute and travel. Just not too sure if it will look awkwardly oversized on a compact camera. Lens should come in later. Something like a 14-50mm f2.8 sounds good.

i'm all for the G1X

Canon g1x, g15.

Nikon v1, j1, j2.

Samsung nx210.

Ok... since you are more or less fixed to a budget (which is a good thing), might I interest you to the EOS-M. It is costing around S$699 (SRP) with a 18-55mm lens. You should be able to get it much cheaper street price or even look to amazon which is selling very cheaply nowadays with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Compact...&ie=UTF8&qid=1388725820&sr=1-2&keywords=EOS+M

(Converted to be around S$456.6)

It is a great little camera (APS-C sized sensor). The only issue I have with it was its slow AF (new firmware did improve it quite abit)... but if you are using it for architecture or stationary objects, you shouldn't have any problem with it.

Thank you all for help. I have set my mind on a Nikon 1 with kit 10-30mm and a sb-n5 speedlight. How is this setup for my usage? What lens should I consider if I would like to upgrade?

Thank you all for help. I have set my mind on a Nikon 1 with kit 10-30mm and a sb-n5 speedlight. How is this setup for my usage? What lens should I consider if I would like to upgrade?

The Nikon 1 system is indeed a great little camera system. You make a good choice.

Nobody know what lens you should upgrade if you wanted to upgrade because nobody know what you are missing. Only yourself know what is lacking in your 10-30mm.

If you're looking at coolpix models other than the Coolpix A, note that they're regular point-n-shoot compacts with tiny sensors (1/1.7-in - 7.6mm x 5.7mm), so don't expect much in low-light. But if you are still interested, might want to look out for those that are compatible with speedlights. E.g., noticed there's a used Coolpix P7700 going for $400. I think it was Nikon's equivalent of the G15.

It's a previous gen model btw.

Nikon Creative Lighting System for illuminating shots

You can use this camera's built-in flash as the "commander" to control compatible Speedlights*. This wireless, synchronized external flash operation enables creative lighting for clearer images or to achieve dramatic shadows.
* Compatible Speedlight models: SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, and SB-600

** Compatible with Group A only

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p7700/

-------

Edit: Just saw your latest post, have fun with it!