D70 Upgrade: D300 or 40D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicovelvet

Jan 2, 2008
I own a three year old d70 and im guilty of neglecting it (was distracted with video for the past few years)

I’ve only very recently got back into photography because my line of work requires me to take photos of young children (portraits/live action)

Question is: Do I progress to a D300 (the live 3D tracking seems really attractive when it comes to unpredictable children) or should I give 40D a go? I’ve been using Nikon but I’ve come to love canon’s system (used 10/30D back in school) mainly because of their brilliant skin tones and wider range of lenses.

Budget for a body + decent lens is around 3-4K.

Should I slug it out with the dark side or I switch alliances for good? (it’s much easier now to invest on lens + accessories post-school)

I’ve handled both cameras – fine with both (I prefer D300’s ergonomics though) I’ve read countless online reviews and bugged uncles at various shops for recommendations but as always the camps are (still) split in half.

Constructive comments and much help needed :)

Thanks!

hi, could i ask if you got any lens?
3-4K will not go very far if you start with nothing.

Go to Nikon camp they will say D300, maybe some will tell you D3.... :sweat:... go to Canon camp they will say 40D..... go to a Black shop they will say get both!!!! :sweat:

Go to a reputable shop that you know of, jio jio the sales let you try both and see which you like..... most likely after you touch both, your heart will tell you the answer.... of course pocket must agree as well...... :devil:

i think you shld look at the lenses that fit what u shoot then decide on the camera body. if both brands have lenses and bodies that fit your requirement, then consider what u will be able to get with your budget.

the canon definitely is cheaper but the nikon has more features. are u a very basic shooter like me or you must have all the latest gizmos? in the end, only u will know what u really need and there is little justification necessary after that. :)

hi, could i ask if you got any lens?
3-4K will not go very far if you start with nothing.

3k will only get a d40x+17-55.

add flash and filter spare batt and memory card...etc, think going to reach 4k already, you need a little more cash, around 7~8k for a decent system.

3k will only get a d40x+17-55.

add flash and filter spare batt and memory card...etc, think going to reach 4k already, you need a little more cash, around 7~8k for a decent system.

i only have a handful of filters, a modest amount of 4GB memory cards and a measly F-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G and a SB-600 (not planning to sell the d70+lens+flash though..if i get a canon will pass this on to my bro)

3-4K was referring to just one body + one lens (for now) will be setting aside an additional budget for lens + accessories as time goes.

just a basic shooter hoping to expand :lovegrin:

i only have a handful of filters, a modest amount of 4GB memory cards and a measly F-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G and a SB-600 (not planning to sell the d70+lens+flash though..if i get a canon will pass this on to my bro)

3-4K was referring to just one body + one lens (for now) will be setting aside an additional budget for lens + accessories as time goes.

hi, i own a canon 40D. and got a Tamron 17-50mm lens. It is great!...however, if u only have 3k for the body, i strongly encourage u to get the nikon D300. It is much better then 40D in terms of LCD resolution, speed, and function.

Hope that helps.

It sounds like your heart is leaning towards Canon, and since you are willing to start afresh, then don't let your D70 hold you back. Get a system that you know you will like so there will be no regrets in chosing otherwise. Your current investment is still quite small, so you wouldn't lose much anyway.

D300 for the fast focus. You need this for children.

if u pass the d70 and stuff to ur bro, u can still share if u get the d300

then once u get more equipment u can interchange lenses, flash etc
but if u get canon 40d, u cant use his stuff and he cant use urs

of course theres a $500+ price diff bet the 2 bodies and a significant diff in specs too

just my 2 cents ;p

I'd say save your money, spend it on yourself, parents, gf/wife instead and bring out your D70 for some fresh air. What makes you think you won't neglect your 40D/D300 later on? At the end of the day, it's the composition that counts.
I've seen so called wedding photographers with D2 cams take pics overexposed, and doesn't even know how to blur a background, imagine how messy and scattered pics looked like? Shame on him. I'd say just get some lens for your practice, then upgrade when you're ready. There's nothing wrong with the D70!

I second dennisc.
I am still on D70 and is still producing beautiful pics for me so far.
Rather than spending to get new cameras and lenses and so on, stick to the D70 and pick up/improve your shooting with it.
If u r really keen on splurging though, I would say fujifilm S5pro will give better skin tone than nikon or canon

Maybe you should consider the reason for an upgrade or even jumping to Canon.

Your Nikon D70 is still a very good cam and can produce decent pictures. You may want to continue using it and invest on lenses instead. The next upgrade to the D300 or even D3 would be a better path IMHO.

i think i understand your situation...
just hands itchy and want to buy something... it happens to me sometimes too.... ha ha :)
if you die die must buy a camera, then i would rather go for the D300...
it has superb performance at high iso, plus you still have your lens and accessories from nikon... so you can share with your brother.

or why not get more lens and continue using your D70 ?

If I am you I will get faster lens like 85 f1.4, 70-200 f2.8 VR and put them on the D70 and start shooting :thumbsup:

if u get the D300 and put on your d70 kits lens. picture quality is not great.

why not 17-55 + D300, around 4k if you get second hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.