D70 questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grado

Dec 28, 2003
When I use my tokina lens on the D70 and set to continuous drive, why does the lens always pause to refocus before the next shot? Is it suppose to focus lock and go into continuous drive without trying to refocus?

Not sure about your Tokina lens, but when set to AF-C (continuous focus mode) on the D70, the focus is supposed to continuously track the subject, and you can release the shutter whether or not the subject is in focus. Only in AF-S (single-servo) mode will the shutter release be locked until the subject is in focus

Yes, but will it try to refocus after releasing the shuttle in either (AF-S/AF-C) mood in continuous drive mood? That means in order to bracket in continuous drive, do I have to auto focus, set to manual focus and release the shuttle in continuous drive? I would not want it to refocus, as I normally focus lock in the centre, recompose the image then release the shuttle. If it tried to refocus after each shot then it will focus on the wrong area as I have recomposed the picture after I focus lock originally.

grado said:
Yes, but will it try to refocus after releasing the shuttle in either (AF-S/AF-C) mood in continuous drive mood? That means in order to bracket in continuous drive, do I have to auto focus, set to manual focus and release the shuttle in continuous drive? I would not want it to refocus, as I normally focus lock in the centre, recompose the image then release the shuttle. If it tried to refocus after I recompose then it will focus on the wrong area.

If you want to lock the focus and recompose, use the Focus/Exposure lock button - you can set it up in the menu to Lock Focus only, Lock Exposure only or both.

BTW, your post is a little hard to understand - hope I understood you correctly.

grado said:
Yes, but will it try to refocus after releasing the shuttle in either (AF-S/AF-C) mood in continuous drive mood? That means in order to bracket in continuous drive, do I have to auto focus, set to manual focus and release the shuttle in continuous drive? I would not want it to refocus, as I normally focus lock in the centre, recompose the image then release the shuttle. If it tried to refocus after each shot then it will focus on the wrong area as I have recomposed the picture after I focus lock originally.

Simple answer is that it WILL NOT try to refocus if you are in AF-C mode.

Zerstorer said:
Simple answer is that it WILL NOT try to refocus if you are in AF-C mode.

Actually it does with my tokina lens. i do not know if the kit lens does it. Even when I set to AF-C in continuous drive, it will try to refocus after each shot, such that when I move my focus point, it will try to focus on the new point. The focus does not lock at all.

gooseberry said:
If you want to lock the focus and recompose, use the Focus/Exposure lock button - you can set it up in the menu to Lock Focus only, Lock Exposure only or both.

BTW, your post is a little hard to understand - hope I understood you correctly.

Thanks! I tried this and it works. What I wanted was to bracket my shots in continuous drive. Now I can focus, chose focus lock only with the Focus/Exposure lock button, recompose and fire away without the lens trying to shift focus to the new focus points.

grado said:
Actually it does with my tokina lens. i do not know if the kit lens does it. Even when I set to AF-C in continuous drive, it will try to refocus after each shot, such that when I move my focus point, it will try to focus on the new point. The focus does not lock at all.

Ah..what was I saying.:embrass:

It will try to refocus in AF-C mode, just that it will not wait for focus to lock before firing. If you didn't want the camera to refocus then using AF-Lock or switching to MF would solve it as you have already discovered.

Why don`t you use AF-S mode instead if you do not want to track the subject movement ? I alwaysjhave a headache using AF-C coz it may chose the wrong subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.