Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbuff

Aug 18, 2004
www.pbase.com
Hi I am stuck and not sure which to buy:

Just checked out Parissilk and the following is the kit pricing:

1) Nikon D70 (with 18-65 not exactly sure) - $1990

2) Canon 300 D (with 28 to 55) - $1750 plus bundled with an extra batt and 512 CF.

Which would u choose if $ is not a problem and if performance is more impt.

If $$ is not an issue and performance is of utmost priority, u could look at the 1D Mk2 ($7k+) or even the upcoming 20D. If I were u, I'll wait a while first since the newer models are about to be announced soon.

Btw, the above comment was made purely with the intention of expanding your options, just in case u might need higher performance. Just needed to clarify lest I get misunderstood.

I'll get a FM2 and 35/2.

Focusing on the question of either a 300D or D70, I personally feel that the D70 will provide more bang for the buck. It is more feature laden compared to the 300D which is more designed by Canon to be a 'point and shoot' camera, most of the time.
Alot of shutterbugs have a habit of pledging 'allegiance' to either Canon or Nikon and once you accumulate enough lens and assessories, it is an expensive exercise to switch camps, although I have seen in the buy/sell forum of a number of 'defections' from Canon 300D owners who wanted to off-load their new cameras for a D70.
My two cents worth.... :) :)

Take D70 anytime. Do a search and you'll get what you want to know. ;)

digitalbuff said:
Hi I am stuck and not sure which to buy:

Just checked out Parissilk and the following is the kit pricing:

1) Nikon D70 (with 18-65 not exactly sure) - $1990

2) Canon 300 D (with 28 to 55) - $1750 plus bundled with an extra batt and 512 CF.

Which would u choose if $ is not a problem and if performance is more impt.

D70 is good enuff. Sorry to say that u don't need a 1D Mk2 even if you got loads of $$$. Only smart people in this forum will advice you to spend your extra $$$ on good lens instead. :bsmilie:

Unless you in hurry, hang on for a while lah. Heard that new 330D or something from tua-pow is due to launch soon.... I guess it will be in time for the Nov - Dec sales season...

shutterbug said:
D70 is good enuff. Sorry to say that u don't need a 1D Mk2 even if you got loads of $$$. Only smart people in this forum will advice you to spend your extra $$$ on good lens instead. :bsmilie:

That seriously depends on his spending power and the level of performance required, which the threadstarter did not state. Seriously, smart people in this forum will advise u to buy what u need, and not waste extra $$$ unless absolutely necessary.

Given a choice between the 300D and the D70 only, I would choose the D70 myself.

If u aint got a camera at the moment, I would say, not to wait for any "anticipated" models to arrive. Buy a D70 and start shooting. Not unless u have enough money for the 20D.... . 300D.. hmm, its already starting to feel old.

Hi all

Thanks v.much. My heart leans towards the D70 too and i am not very pro, just a beginner who started with a Panasonic FZ1 then LC1 (bought 2 months ago only.... who i like it very much altho it has limitations).

So i guess i will buy the D70 with the AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6D

Thanks.....

I will steer clear of the 28-200 though... unless U are not particular.

I would go for the kit lens... 17-55AFS, and the 70-300G (or SIgma) for a start. Buy better stuff as u move along and discover your niche. The 28-200, is not wide enough......... .

Wait a while and get 20D, based on the US list $, it should not be very far from D70. Money not problem ? Go for 20D :thumbsup:

20D will be out in Oct 2004, the prices of 10D , 300d or D70 will drop for sure

In all honesty, if you starting from scratch and have to choose between the 2, forget 300D and get the 70D. both are great cams but i think the D70 allows you to use more advance stuff as you progress. 300D is good but seems more basic.

if no rush... wait until November then start buying.... or better will be in december... coz prices will be SUper WILD when all the brands starts their price war!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.