Status
Not open for further replies.

mattc

Apr 3, 2004
West
:embrass:
Hi There,

New & Looking to start/invest right.

I reckon the function & specs in D70 is far better than D100, hence want some of yr valuable input into D70 vs 10D.

Looking at the range between Canon and Nikon, it seems that Canon is faster in offering higher spec DSLR (>8 mega pixel) than Nikon.

Should I upgrade the body later, one would want to stick to the same brand as Lenses are already purchased. Heard that Nikon gives sharper images, is that true?

Kindly advice. :)

It's not the megapixel that makes a photo looks good.
It's the photographer.

But since you're thinking which 1 to get,

I recommend Canon 1D2,
followed by Sony F828

Both of them 8 megapixels.

The D70 is a prelude to what the D100 replacement will be offering at least bare minimum if not MORE. The D70 was *never* meant to be D100's replacement and so not necessarily that all it's features outweighs the D100.

The 10D's equivalance is the D100. D70's equivalance is the 300D.

You seem to be in the more MP means better myth, which I won't say it's not right, but resolution isn't everything, and like I prementioned in your thread, the 8mp you're referring to, is the 1D MKII which is $8K+.

Canon no doubt has been releasing models very regularly, but also, at the same time, older bodies are discontinued very regularly as well. I shudder to image what happened if I bought a 10D now and a 10D MK II is announced & released. Minor upgrades are in the newer bodies which don't really justify I feel as a new model, more like bug fixes to me. My personal conjunction.

Nikon has been steady in it's development for a long time, it's D100 is a good example, it has been around for so long and still going strong. There was no new models with minor upgrades here and there so that people keep buying and pushing for new stuff. The D70 is another good example as it showed that Nikon is indeed pushing for development, the design capability is far different from D100 and shows a prelude to the D100 replacement, something which we can hold on. It's not just about faster, it's about technology & design too.

No doubt when you've kicked off and collected enough lenses, one tends to stick with it and go further with it. We'll be happy no matter which DSLR you get ;)

If you wanna play Nikon, do join us at Spinelli's where the Nikon council gathers for a short break after a hard day's work. We'd be more than happy to discuss and let you try exotic equipments ;)

megapixels is not important unless you wanna blow your photos to billboard size.

as stated in another thread

my sony 717, a 5mp camera can easily blow up to A1 size without any artifacts. of course if you wanna inspect the picture from 10cm away and see pixels fair enough, but you'll be looking at a pixel and not at the whole picture.

as for whether to get D70 or 10D, please do consider that you're investing in a SYSTEM. you're investing in a BRAND. try both cameras out and see which one you like more. remember that in the future if you buy lenses you've gotta buy only NIKON or CANON mounts.. unless you change system which is a waste of $$$.

as for recommendations, yes D70 is a good camera, but i like canon more.

For Nikon DSLR firmware upgrade need to get back to service centre with warranty card. If out of warranty then may need to pay for it to upgrade.

For Canon DSLR can easily download from canon website and upgrade to the latest firmware anytime.

Correct me if I’m wrong

JL1500k said:
For Nikon DSLR firmware upgrade need to get back to service centre with warranty card. If out of warranty then may need to pay for it to upgrade.

For Canon DSLR can easily download from canon website and upgrade to the latest firmware anytime.

Correct me if I’m wrong

yup! canon allows updating/upgrading firmware via usb cable. pretty easy to do it too.

actually, both brands got their pros and cons. agree with all the seniors' comments abt falling for the MP myth. quality of the cam is impt, but the person behind the lens really matters IMO. i've used cameras by nikon and canon before. IMO, nikon lens are slightly better but canon stuff are more afforable. anyway, now dat i own a 300D, i'm very happy with the ease of use of the camera.

why not just pop down to any big time photo shops and test out the cameras yourself. to me, it all boils down to ease of use and price. to each his/her own, i guess! :bsmilie:

Nikon lenses give sharper images? I don't think you could make a general statement like that. You have to compare them lens for lens, and even then blow up to 100% to look for differences. I think all you have to know is that they are more or less equal and at a very high standard. You will not be disappointed by going for either Nikon or Canon unless you have specific needs. Want to shoot telephoto, get Canon. Want wide angle, get Nikon.

Canon is the more innovative company and have a number of technologies that Nikon so far has no answer for. Diffractive Optical lenses, for example (the new 70-300 DO IS seems to be shaping up to a real winner!). More of their lenses have image stabilisation technology. The product cycle is faster, and they develop their own sensors. Nikon simply has no answer to the 1D Mk2 ... yet.

Having said that, most of us will not be shopping at the sharp edge of the technology curve because most of us don't have silly amounts of money to throw away! Where the REAL WORLD is (the world of 10D's, D100's, 300D's, and D70's) the war is very much alive.

To answer your question - for my money today I would get a D70 over a 10D. Why? It's faster, has better metering, better AF, and is A LOT CHEAPER! Use the money you have saved to get yourself a better lens. That is, unless you need the metal construction, vertical grip, prefer Canon ergonomics, etc ...

see which system of lenses you prefer first. the camera body is just a tool, it's the lenses that resolve light rays into your photos.

Heh... I have been asking myself the same question for the past 2 months..... The problem I face is more of lenses.... I'm the only one in the group that uses Nikon (film based) SLR. Most of my friends are using Canon. Now 2 of them have ventured in and got themselves 10D and a few lenses with it.... If I was to get 10D, fine, can borrow from them anytime.... But then I will have 2 systems... and that's does not make very good sense to waste my current 2 lenses, despite the fact it's not DX version.... I can still use this (especially since one of them is the 50mm f1.8 prime lens.) But if I was to get D70, I got no one to borrow lenses from if I need to... you know like those bigger zoom lense like 80-200mm, etc.

So.... I'm still racking my brains out on this issue..... :confused:

Hmmm.... Maybe it's time for me to seek the Nikon council out.... :think: Get meself known to them and they to me.... and if really buy D70.... and need these lenses... can borrow.... :embrass: ;p

Hmmm..... Now where do they usually meet again?!?!? :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :devil:

Since you are already having Nikon lenses, stick to Nikon. Please do not get drawn into any potential Nikon vs Canon flame war. If you are seeking out the so-called Nikon Council (basically a bunch of CSers I've spotted at Spinelli's), then one way is to PM espn or Gadrian. espn is definitely one who haunts that place more regularly. I'm sure you will find them friendly and nice people.

.... forgot to mention that the D70 is very much lighter to handle too! Got to lay my hands on 3 at yesterday's outings... :D

Alpc said:
Heh... I have been asking myself the same question for the past 2 months..... The problem I face is more of lenses.... I'm the only one in the group that uses Nikon (film based) SLR. Most of my friends are using Canon. Now 2 of them have ventured in and got themselves 10D and a few lenses with it.... If I was to get 10D, fine, can borrow from them anytime.... But then I will have 2 systems... and that's does not make very good sense to waste my current 2 lenses, despite the fact it's not DX version.... I can still use this (especially since one of them is the 50mm f1.8 prime lens.) But if I was to get D70, I got no one to borrow lenses from if I need to... you know like those bigger zoom lense like 80-200mm, etc.

So.... I'm still racking my brains out on this issue..... :confused:

Hmmm.... Maybe it's time for me to seek the Nikon council out.... :think: Get meself known to them and they to me.... and if really buy D70.... and need these lenses... can borrow.... :embrass: ;p

Hmmm..... Now where do they usually meet again?!?!? :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :devil:

If you really wanted a 10D tat much, sell your body and lenses to get a 10D with a Canon 50mm 1.8 .... what is your other lens? You will have to decide if your other lens and body is worth the keep .....

However, if you still to D70, the advantage of Nikon system is they can use most of their own lenses, right down to manual lens on autofocus body, something both Minolta and Canon is poor in.

Status
Not open for further replies.