D70, KM 5d or Oly E 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

latinfrog

Dec 19, 2005
East
hey guys i've been a big fan of da Nikon D70 ever since it launched.. but after joining dis forum i've read abt a better budget in da KM 5D... but i've came across an article abt E500 and da features are quite fantastic.. I'm kinda lost.. cus i use to carry da F5 and F90 but i've since returned da SLRs to my department and now i'm looking for a DSLR and in a dilenmia in which model suits da best.. i'm looking for something good for portrait shoots like models and scenary shoots..

So question for the expert bros here.. wad's a good model and wad are the best suggestable lens and external flash to go along?

Thanks for the time wasted.. :)

the oly e-500 is sorely lacking in the high ISO arena. ISO 400 - 800 is already quite noisy. above ISO800, it's even worse.

personally for me, one of the reasons i get a DSLR is because i want to utilise high ISOs.

i would go for the KM 5D. as JSBN. he posted some shots at high ISOs before and they came out quite clean. kit lens quality is also good, plus you get anti shake. but take note that 5D has no option of adding a grip.

but having said that, the D70s, 350D and 5D are all capable cameras. no one can tell you which is the best. it boils down to preference and brand loyalty sometimes.

in the end, it's more of the photographer that makes a difference. just scout around the photo forums, and you will see some shots made by small cams that put some guys with huge SLRs to shame.

stick to nikon ba since u already possess some nikon items
pricewise the km5d cheapest
pic quality wise it the man that behind the camera count...not the camera itself

i've held da D70 b4.. but not the other 2... so far i've haven't heard much abt the E500 other den da anti dust thingy.. i

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
the oly e-500 is sorely lacking in the high ISO arena. ISO 400 - 800 is already quite noisy. above ISO800, it's even worse.

personally for me, one of the reasons i get a DSLR is because i want to utilise high ISOs.

i would go for the KM 5D. as JSBN. he posted some shots at high ISOs before and they came out quite clean. kit lens quality is also good, plus you get anti shake. but take note that 5D has no option of adding a grip.

but having said that, the D70s, 350D and 5D are all capable cameras. no one can tell you which is the best. it boils down to preference and brand loyalty sometimes.

in the end, it's more of the photographer that makes a difference. just scout around the photo forums, and you will see some shots made by small cams that put some guys with huge SLRs to shame.

Yeah i agree on ur point on da preference and brand loyalty.. jus hoping i can get some infos here and there by ppl who've been using da cameras.. wanna understand more b4 i really make my choice. :)

heard that olympus's Zuiko Digital lens are sharp & good, but expensive though. The noise is slightly higher than other due to the 2x crop factor, but if you are to zooming, that is a good thing.

OK u can read it here..http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1699081&postcount=11

So far the image quality from KM 5D is the best I seen even from the Kit lens. The colors reproduction I would say is better than Fuji. Generally Minolta Glasses are very good but since u played with Nikon SLR and have some lens, it would be advisable to get back Nikon mount since u can save some costs unless u want a total new system. Just my opinion.. ;)

tokrot said:
OK u can read it here..http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1699081&postcount=11

So far the image quality from KM 5D is the best I seen even from the Kit lens. The colors reproduction I would say is better than Fuji. Generally Minolta Glasses are very good but since u played with Nikon SLR and have some lens, it would be advisable to get back Nikon mount since u can save some costs unless u want a total new system. Just my opinion.. ;)

I tink i've asked dis in another thread but never got a reply.. wad's a good external flash for Km5d and wad are the options for it's lens..

Sad to say i've returned my whole nikon set already nothing left.. :(

latinfrog said:
hey guys i've been a big fan of da Nikon D70 ever since it launched.. but after joining dis forum i've read abt a better budget in da KM 5D... but i've came across an article abt E500 and da features are quite fantastic.. I'm kinda lost.. cus i use to carry da F5 and F90 but i've since returned da SLRs to my department and now i'm looking for a DSLR and in a dilenmia in which model suits da best.. i'm looking for something good for portrait shoots like models and scenary shoots..

So question for the expert bros here.. wad's a good model and wad are the best suggestable lens and external flash to go along?

Thanks for the time wasted.. :)
Go for the d70 with sb800 external flash unit and the 28-105 lens for portraiture :thumbsup:

Personally, i got e500 coz im usually shooting at wide. The wide lenses are better if not the best. The Anti-dust assures no hassle in cleaning and damaging the sensor. Its 8mega pixel allows much cropping. Oly worldwide guarantee comes useful, if i can make purchases overseas.

Concluding KM won the most innovative award for its Anti-shake. Oly won several awards for its lenses.

For the E500, the sensor is a 4/3 frame size which is smaller than the APS size used in other entry level DSLRs and so noise may be a problem at high ISO levels. From numerous reviews, it does seems to be a problem.

Consider KM 5D vs Nikon D50, D70s vs Canon 350D.

I'm still using a prosumer camera Nikon Coolpix 5700 and will be upgrading to an entry level DSLR after I've learned more and ready to spend more than $3K on the gears.

Personally, I'm impressed with the picture quality of the KM 5D.

Clockunder said:
For the E500, the sensor is a 4/3 frame size which is smaller than the APS size used in other entry level DSLRs and so noise may be a problem at high ISO levels. From numerous reviews, it does seems to be a problem.

Consider KM 5D vs Nikon D50, D70s vs Canon 350D.

I'm still using a prosumer camera Nikon Coolpix 5700 and will be upgrading to an entry level DSLR after I've learned more and ready to spend more than $3K on the gears.

Personally, I'm impressed with the picture quality of the KM 5D.

coolz.. bro lemme noe ur final choice and ur personal feel on da camera when u've bought it.. :)

KM5D is REALLY CHEAP. Until now I still cannot understand how they can sell for close to $1k. Less than 6 months ago people are paying a PREMIUM of 2k+ for the antishake.

I also newbie. Sold my minolta 7D to get oly E1. If you go overseas, you can pick up an E1 kit for very cheap prices. The 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 lens is unbeatable for its price, weight. I used to lug a sigma 20mm f1.8 and KM 28-75mm f2.8 just to get similar coverage.

Are you comfortable in cleaning the CCD by yourself? If not, then oly has another BIG plus as DUST DO get into your camera body.

If you don't mind dust, minolta 5D is definately much better than D70. Image quality is the SAME and D70 and it has AS.... you know how much VR cost for Nikon? And furthermore, there is no 20mm f1.8 VR lens :) With my sigma f1.8 20mm, you can REALLY capture lowlight with AS.

So plus point for 5D
+ ANTISHAKE!!!
+ CHEAP!!!!

plus point for E500
+ good lens. Value for money if you can buy overseas. Oly has international warranty for BODIES + LENS. You are not going to find a 100-400mm (35mmeq) f2.8-3.5 lens at $1.5-1.7k that weighs less than 1kg.
+ dust buster
+ better LCD screen, it does matter

latinfrog said:
coolz.. bro lemme noe ur final choice and ur personal feel on da camera when u've bought it.. :)

I think it will be at least another few months before I consider an upgrade seriously as I'm now still testing out the limits of my prosumer camera Nikon Coolpix 5700 and I'm only 9 months into photography.

The main reason for me wanting to upgrade is to have lower general noise level and using higher ISOs (800-1600) or having faster lens to have a faster shutter speed in poor light conditions and using smaller aperture (F11-F16) for my fireworks and other landscape shots. So the E500 is out for me because of its higher noise level at high ISO.

Guys one more thing..where's a good place overseas to get cheaper DSLR?

You might want to consider sticking to either a Canon or Nikon. A lot more people are using these systems, which means that the 2nd hand market is much bigger, and shops are more likely to carry the accessories.

Fewer people use KM and Olympus... scroll through the B&S list... harder to come by equipment from these brands. A friend of mine bought KM cos of the reviews... while he liked the camera he hated waiting months sometimes for dealers to bring in the lenses he wants... also had to buy lotsa stuff brand new cos he couldn't find on the 2nd hand market.

Just some thoughts.

solarii said:
You might want to consider sticking to either a Canon or Nikon. A lot more people are using these systems, which means that the 2nd hand market is much bigger, and shops are more likely to carry the accessories.

Fewer people use KM and Olympus... scroll through the B&S list... harder to come by equipment from these brands. A friend of mine bought KM cos of the reviews... while he liked the camera he hated waiting months sometimes for dealers to bring in the lenses he wants... also had to buy lotsa stuff brand new cos he couldn't find on the 2nd hand market.

Just some thoughts.

Yes, this is the main issue which I've been worrying about getting a KM.

The other thing I'm conscious about is my incapability to check 2nd hand stuffs especially the lenses. My current camera is also my first camera which I bought 2nd hand and its zoom got stuck after 1 week and I had to spend $234 just to get it repaired.

So I'm more inclined to get brand new ones now and therefore the other issue is the costs of new lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.