D70 Kit Lens suited for wide angle shots??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startrail

Nov 18, 2005
Hi all :) This is my first time posting to this forum, but have been wandering around the forum since August last year. Just got my D50 before the new year and finally got a chance to play with it today. Been busy with Christmas and New Year and stuff :)

ANyway, I would like to ask you all for your opinion on whether is it really necessary for me to get a wide angle lens to shoot wide open vistas. Because while playing with my D50 kit lens today, i realised that while taking shots from the 30th floor and aiming for far away areas, the shots turn out abit jaggy after a certain distance. I've yet to try it with my recently purchased D70 kit lens yet, so am wondering if D70 would have better shots , but would like to hear from all you 'lao jiaos' :D

Oh and espn, no buy buy buy for me :bsmilie: i'm already broke frm my recent puchases :embrass: Thanks all in advance

Don't worry.. I won't ask you to BBB, mr Meerkat will.

2534meerkat4.jpg

Dun really understand your post. :embrass: but I did say the 18-70 that came with the D70/s SHOULD be better than the 18-55 that came with the D50 based on some shots that I came across. ;)

Maybe you can post an example of jaggy? Not sure what that means.

Oh i realised it's because of my picture viewer shrinking my shot for me so that it becomes distorted :sweat: sorry about that, but anyway, what's the opinion on using a wide angle lens for landscaping?? could i just use a normal kit lens to shoot landscapes?

"jagginess" seems more an issue with the image sensor and image processing algorithm rather than the lens.

Generally speaking, wide lenses are useful and often used to capture landscapes (and general street photography)... but that doesn't mean to say that telephoto lenses have no place in the open.

In fact, some of the best landscapes / snowscapes are taken using the longer-reaching lenses.

Regards

Startrail said:
Oh i realised it's because of my picture viewer shrinking my shot for me so that it becomes distorted :sweat: sorry about that, but anyway, what's the opinion on using a wide angle lens for landscaping?? could i just use a normal kit lens to shoot landscapes?

Try to view the pic at 25%, 50% or 100%.

How wide you want?

18~55 and 18~70, both lens are same wide at the wide angle, anything beyond that cost will a lot.

catchlights said:
How wide you want?

18~55 and 18~70, both lens are same wide at the wide angle, anything beyond that cost will a lot.

Lets just say for general landscaping purposes :) is the 18mm angle wide enough?? :) I know both have the same wide angle, but i've read on forums with regards to quality, the 18-70 is better, so i'm wondering if this would help in landscaping photography :)

ortega said:
I have a cheap 17mm F3.5
:think: how much u letting it go for?? But should resist the buy buy buy syndrome:sweatsm: no more money liaoz

Startrail said:
Lets just say for general landscaping purposes :) is the 18mm angle wide enough?? :) I know both have the same wide angle, but i've read on forums with regards to quality, the 18-70 is better, so i'm wondering if this would help in landscaping photography :)
Not all landscape has to be shot in wide angle, check out books from library and www. you will know what I mean.

So if you have the 18~70 or 18~55, make full use of it, these lens has the potential far more than you can handle.

I believe in use whatever have to create the shots you want, until the day your skills justify the purchasing of new gears.

Startrail said:
:think: how much u letting it go for?? But should resist the buy buy buy syndrome:sweatsm: no more money liaoz
I am not letting it go, you can look for it in the B&S
Tokina 17mm F3.5, should be around $500+++ brand new

Call CP to ask for price or check the price list

Whether 18mm of the kit lens is wide enough depends on your own creativity. 18mm or even 50mm can be used for landscape shots, it will depends on how you want to compose your shots.

Composition usually gets more tricky whether you move into wide angle lenses. This is because you will now have a wide angle of view and at the same time deeper depth-of-field. More objects in the foreground and background will come into focus in a wide angle shot. You will need to decide where your focal point of your composition and pick your perspective to create the necessary depth.

It should be fun trying to compose using wide-angles.

Hmm... ok thank you all for your suggestions :) I'll go play arnd with my 2 lenses first before anything else :)

Status
Not open for further replies.