D70 DX Lens effectiveness...what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidbyte

I just got my D70 kit. Still kinda new to DSLR, i was just wondering for the macro lens with the DX lens which comes with it, what is the effective distance for this lens and what lens should i get if i need to have a good zoom and macro. Recommendations please and thanks.

1..Recommended macro lens / price / where-to-get-it
2..Recommended telephoto lens / price / where-to-get-it

1..Micro Nikkor 105mm or 60mm / $1000, $650 / All good photo shop
2..70-200 VR / $3000 / All good photo shop

acidbyte said:
I just got my D70 kit. Still kinda new to DSLR, i was just wondering for the macro lens with the DX lens which comes with it, what is the effective distance for this lens and what lens should i get if i need to have a good zoom and macro. Recommendations please and thanks.

acidbyte said:

For a smaller budget, you could consider the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super II. It will double as a macro and telephoto lens. Price around $330-340.

Sigma lens is a good choice for starters. Cheap and quite good. But dont tell that to espn, he will shake head. :D

gooseberry said:
For a smaller budget, you could consider the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super II. It will double as a macro and telephoto lens. Price around $330-340.

Does anyone have sample shots from this lens?

Second that, yes the lens is actually good. I own one now.
No complaints on optical quality but mechanical quality and coating maybe cannot last.

gooseberry said:

Dennis said:
Second that, yes the lens is actually good. I own one now.
No complaints on optical quality but mechanical quality and coating maybe cannot last.

Yeah, it does feel a little too plasticky doesn't it ? Build quality could have been better in terms of feel and design, but optical quality is quite good - arguably the best out of all the consumer 70-300 zooms.

Sigma 70-300 is good. Gotten decent results wide open at f4 till 5.6 through the range. (decent results as in very sharp prints till 5R or so). I think light is good, i am going to bring this to Indonesia to shoot hawks soon... :) Macro is ok at 1:2, just that you gotta MF, found it pretty difficult to shoot my kois darting around though without AF.

Yeh, saw many using and I tested the Nikon 70-300D, almost on par and mechanically better but at almost twice the price, I will get the Sigma for travelling.

gooseberry said:
Yeah, it does feel a little too plasticky doesn't it ? Build quality could have been better in terms of feel and design, but optical quality is quite good - arguably the best out of all the consumer 70-300 zooms.

Dennis said:
Yeh, saw many using and I tested the Nikon 70-300D, almost on par and mechanically better but at almost twice the price, I will get the Sigma for travelling.

I tested the 70-300G lens which belonged to my relative's, think price is the same? Wide open cannot make it.

70-300G is about $250, price less but with a plastic mount. May give problems after many mounting. I heard the optical quality is almost te same as the D ones as the les design is the same except D uses 1 ED glass. Should not differ too much except for cromatic

2100 said:
I tested the 70-300G lens which belonged to my relative's, think price is the same? Wide open cannot make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.