D70 at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeusExMachina

Jan 22, 2004
Hi guys, I be bringing me D70 out to sea on a boat trip and as we all know cameras and seawater don't mix, any ideas how to protect the camera from the sea spray cheaply?

ziplock, ziplock, drybag/garbage bag.

if u cannot afford to being silica gel out to sea, bring dried toasted oats..

my d70 went to sea too and survived.

Clown said:

Dried toasted oats? :bsmilie: Not bad, never heard of that before!

Think silica gel cheaper, one bottle for $3.50, oats cost more than that :)

GYR

No problem, have it sprayed with light rain and seaspray before.....ferry trip to Sumatra. Just clean it off with tissue and later wet cloth when you reach your destination. May want to invest in a UV filter though. Last time my C5050 survived the same ferry trip too. If you are talking about really choppy waters and a whole wave crashing into you, then i think you better take cover and not bring it out.

er.... just try not to change lens so often in the sea breeze or when the boat is moving fast. Outside salty still ok, inside salty we got problem ;p

Clown said:

I have several custom fitter ziploc bags that can fit the D70 + 18-70 lens.. and still can continue to shot even in choppy weather.. lol..

I use the same when shooting in the rain with my D100.. not much problem.. always carry some distilled bottled water.. you will need this to wipe the cam clean of all the salt.. after which.. wrap the cam in a clean face towel.. (good morning towel) and keep.. it will be ok..

My D100 has survived 4 fishing trips.. with sea water being splashed directly from a fish as it was being reeled in..

electronics... not good friends with water... will conduct electricity.. muhahhaaha.... use the bathing cap... also can... hahahahhahaaha...... cheap summore... but that was used to cover the body lehz..... :)

Hmmm.... suddenly recalled there was a post here from a very innovative member about using a plastic bag to cover the whole thing, but cut a hole for the lens and hold the opening with a filter screwed to the lens.
Can't remember who came up with it, but it works ;)

gadrian said:
I have several custom fitter ziploc bags that can fit the D70 + 18-70 lens.. and still can continue to shot even in choppy weather.. lol..

I use the same when shooting in the rain with my D100.. not much problem.. always carry some distilled bottled water.. you will need this to wipe the cam clean of all the salt.. after which.. wrap the cam in a clean face towel.. (good morning towel) and keep.. it will be ok..

My D100 has survived 4 fishing trips.. with sea water being splashed directly from a fish as it was being reeled in..

I see, a fellow fisherman. :)

Actually thats exactly why I need to keep my D70 dry, coz I'll be going on Safari in the Spratlies soon and just thot I'd bring me D70 along coz my el cheapo sim lim sq digicam gave up the ghost recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.