D70, 300D or E300

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue

Nov 21, 2004
Hi,

Can anyone advise on the above DSLR, I have a Canon Ixus V3 for about 2.5 year, thinking of getting a DSLR. Please help?

deepblue said:
Hi,

Can anyone advise on the above DSLR, I have a Canon Ixus V3 for about 2.5 year, thinking of getting a DSLR. Please help?

i am sure no one can give you a clear answer ... :dunno:
do research on your own and see which one suit you more ... :think:

Thats a minolta?

very tempted by the E300, $1699 for 8 MegaPix. Has anyone bought that Camera?

deepblue said:
Thats a minolta?

Yep that is the Konica Minolta... 7D somewhat more expensive than E300
Good camera though.

Canon 300D is good also as is the nokia D70

Either will serve you well, but, if you wan't to try IR photography as part of what you do.
I suggest the Nokia D70... Check the thread in Digital Darkroom :thumbsup:

Pablo said:
Good camera though.

Either will serve you well, but, if you wan't to try IR photography as part of what you do.

Errrr... Pablo... It's a 'Nikon' D70... I dun think 'Nokia' do DSLR leh... :bsmilie:

Pablo said:
Good camera though.

Erm.. i think u mean Nikon D70 not Nokia D70...

In anycase, I handled all 3 cameras before making a decision, in the end I decided to get the D70 simply because it just felt right and looked right... Well for me at least...

For some reason the minute I peeked thru the E300 I gave up the idea of getting it... not to mention it's 4/3 lenses will be hard to come by.

As for the 300D, it's plastic body really put me off... D70 is plastic too but u see how it's finished and u'll know there's a difference.

But that aside all 3 cameras (and systems even) technically have advantages over one another.. in the end up to you which one to choose.

heard that Canon 300D is very slow. Is that ture?

deepblue said:
heard that Canon 300D is very slow. Is that ture?

yes quite slow in saving
for shooting it has 2.5fps compare to D70 3fps
but becos of the slow saving speed of 300D it only above to shoot 4 frame
D70 claim that it can shoot 144 frame but i have not try it at most i try is 40 frame without slowing down

Um, yes :embrass: Sorry Nikon folk.

The Canon 300D is slow compared which camera :dunno:

It is definately slower than the 20D by a long way, but is it that much slower than D70 ??? (I have not compared them speed wise)

The Nikon D70 does feel better made than the 300D I will say.

I also agree that the 4/3 is not supported enough yet and is probably an expensive way to go.

I like the 7D because of its functions and interface on the body. Their G lenses are very good as well, just a matter of time when they put 'Ultra sonic'-like motors into them, they will be perfect. Minolta's always been known to make great bodies. Pics straight out of the camera looks VERY GOOD.

The D70 I think is the best value DSLR on the market now. The body is good ( big buffer, fast, easy to use, LCD looks good, matrix metering-it sees the world in colour unlike other makes, very good flash system, 1/500 flash sync, etc. ) And lenses needless to say, very good, huge selection, even for third party ones the support very strong. Note: No batt/vertical grip as of now.

The 300D is cheap, more 'limited' in regards to functions on body. Noticeably slower than D70, both in writing speed and startup time-3 sec, the D70 almost immediate-0.2 sec? Rather go for a 10D if budget restricts. This is what I am using by the way.

Oly I don't really like. But I do like the E-1 body, the way it feels. You have to hold a E300 to see if you like it. I did, can't say I love it. Please go and think about what kind of lenses you are planning to get. Althought I agree that the 4/3 system is a GREAT IDEA, which make everything lighter BUT they actually charge around the price of the rival's 600mm lens for their 300mm f2.8 because effectively you do get 600mm on it. ( 2X multiply focal length ) My name is NOT ROBERT.

Going for N or C has another plus, as many owns them as well. Buying second hand, selling stuff or even borrowing stuff from friends is much easier.

Just my thoughts ;)

my personal summary:

between 300D and D70 ==> D70 has an edge

between 20D and D100 ==> 20D considerably ahead (till D200 comes along)

personal opinion only :)

FiveIronFrenzy said:
I like the 7D because of its functions and interface on the body. Their G lenses are very good as well, just a matter of time when they put 'Ultra sonic'-like motors into them, they will be perfect. Minolta's always been known to make great bodies. Pics straight out of the camera looks VERY GOOD.

The D70 I think is the best value DSLR on the market now. The body is good ( big buffer, fast, easy to use, LCD looks good, matrix metering-it sees the world in colour unlike other makes, very good flash system, 1/500 flash sync, etc. ) And lenses needless to say, very good, huge selection, even for third party ones the support very strong. Note: No batt/vertical grip as of now.

The 300D is cheap, more 'limited' in regards to functions on body. Noticeably slower than D70, both in writing speed and startup time-3 sec, the D70 almost immediate-0.2 sec? Rather go for a 10D if budget restricts. This is what I am using by the way.

Oly I don't really like. But I do like the E-1 body, the way it feels. You have to hold a E300 to see if you like it. I did, can't say I love it. Please go and think about what kind of lenses you are planning to get. Althought I agree that the 4/3 system is a GREAT IDEA, which make everything lighter BUT they actually charge around the price of the rival's 600mm lens for their 300mm f2.8 because effectively you do get 600mm on it. ( 2X multiply focal length ) My name is NOT ROBERT.

Going for N or C has another plus, as many owns them as well. Buying second hand, selling stuff or even borrowing stuff from friends is much easier.

Just my thoughts ;)

Well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dynax 7D has advantage of Anti-Shake. No need image stabilization on lens. See Minolta subforum. You'll get tons of info about this cam.

Oh, a couple more things to add. When I was playing with IS and AFS, I can't really feel that they help in a great way though a little noticable from just some shots. But the stabilization from the 7D really works better. Can tell straight from the first shot I took with it, deliberatly set to a slow shutter speed I normally would not handhold.
Plus, there always had been ( from the looks of it, will always be ) a very loyal group of people who insist on using nothing but Minolta. The number is growing, I believe esp with the introduction of the 7D. So in the future we may be able to get their stuff very easily as well.
By the way, their flash system is TOP notch as well, PLUS they have CICULAR Diaphams in their lenses. BEAUTIFUL bokeh!!! But I'm still alright with my little Ls :sweatsm:

Hey I am a canon person, but to compare D70, 300D and E300. D70 get my vote for a well build, good spec. and a x syrco of 1/500 :bigeyes: That the reason why I have both nikon and canon. But any thing higher, 20D rocks. Errr fuji S3pro also. Man now I am all confused :confused: :bsmilie:

definitely something borther u.. $$??? think which lens u wanna buy, pricelist..
think wiLL u ever lend a lens to ur friends? or borrow their.....??

Status
Not open for further replies.