D610 User Thread

nitewalk

May 31, 2010
Singapore
With the new D610 out in stores now, wonder who has gotten it? Please share your experience! :)

TS... Thanks for starting the thread. After long wait, I finally bought Nikon D610 yesterday... Nice camera look solid. Jumped from legendary D90. Just played around a while. So I can only compared to D90.

First noticeable difference is white balance... compared auto to auto, D610 is close to natural color with slight warm tone, whereas D90 AWB is like white neutralized image. Sharpness is same but definition is slightly better in D610. Holding is ok, may be need to get used to the rubber grip vs smooth plastic on D90. Little heavy. Feel the D610 body gets warmer after 15min or using Liveview mode. I used SD card class 4, so the transfer file is bit slower. I need to get Class 10 or more. So far I am playing with JPEG and auto mode. ISO noise is considerably low but very little RGB color noise can be seen on the shadow area at over ISO 2000 at 100% view..
I find Q, Qc mode is boring to me and is not really quiet, its delayed shutter release. Yet to learn more, but this could be a good start to keep going...

below are some of the shots taken this morning... unedited, just crop only.
sharpness was set as 2 point in the 'standard' mode. I am using as it is.
normal to 100% crop shared for viewing pleasure...

Taken with nikon 55mm f3.5 macro, manual focus + in-build flash using live view handheld. slightly cropped.
10356924866_d2970c4bb4_b.jpg

here is the 100% crop
10356925146_6b4f84843a_o.jpg

Another un-cropped butterfly shot.
10356924715_5f5d258b62_b.jpg

100% crop
10357115473_0a6bc8d4a5_o.jpg

Here is the landscape - sky and tree taken with 50mm f1.8d lens at F7.1.
10357116973_179dc10b62_b.jpg

Last edited:
TS... Thanks for starting the thread. After long wait, I finally bought Nikon D610 yesterday... Nice camera look solid. Jumped from legendary D90. Just played around a while. So I can only compared to D90.

First noticeable difference is white balance... compared auto to auto, D610 is close to natural color with slight warm tone, whereas D90 AWB is like white neutralized image. Sharpness is same but definition is slightly better in D610. Holding is ok, may be need to get used to the rubber grip vs smooth plastic on D90. Little heavy. Feel the D610 body gets warmer after 15min or using Liveview mode. I used SD card class 4, so the transfer file is bit slower. I need to get Class 10 or more. So far I am playing with JPEG and auto mode. ISO noise is considerably low but very little RGB color noise can be seen on the shadow area at over ISO 2000 at 100% view..
I find Q, Qc mode is boring to me and is not really quiet, its delayed shutter release. Yet to learn more, but this could be a good start to keep going...

below are some of the shots taken this morning... unedited, just crop only.
sharpness was set as 2 point in the 'standard' mode. I am using as it is.
normal to 100% crop shared for viewing pleasure...

Taken with nikon 55mm f3.5 macro, manual focus + in-build flash using live view handheld. slightly cropped.

here is the 100% crop

Another un-cropped butterfly shot.

100% crop

Here is the landscape - sky and tree taken with 50mm f1.8d lens at F7.1.

Thanks for sharing. I guess like ageha many of us are waiting to pick one up either when the price drops slightly or see if there are QC issues. Without that, it must be rather anticipated by many who wants to take the step up from APSC cameras. Hope you'll have loads of fun and more users to come in and share! :)

Enjoy FF world.....

Yah v brave to buy so early without reviews or if shutter issue is fixed..:)

Do let us know if the dust issue still exist... Thanks!

Yah v brave to buy so early without reviews or if shutter issue is fixed..:)

yup, your thought is reasonable. But I personally feel that minor upgraded version usually more "refined" than new version. If you look back, It is the first time Nikon trying to release a low cost version of Full frame camera with excellent sensor IQ, light weight, affordable etc. Ofcourse, there could be some hiccups. Moreover, overhyped sensor issue can be solved a matter of more cleaning required than normal. somehow replacing new shutter into D600 did not seems to resolve 100%. Probably Nikon thought of upgrade would be help keep the market against canon 6D. If I thought of buying totally new cameras such as sony A7 or D400 (if announce) then i will probably wait for a month or two observe feedback then will buy. Anyway, its better to feel comfortable and then buy.

Just had a check with dxomark and turns out that D610 has the same DR as D800 which are jointly rated as having the best DR in the market at the moment!

I have always been a Canon APS-C user and with the D610, looks like i will jump camp soon.
Just got a question on whether is there an equivalent of 24-105L for nikon?

I have always been a Canon APS-C user and with the D610, looks like i will jump camp soon.
Just got a question on whether is there an equivalent of 24-105L for nikon?

Nikon 24-120 if I rem correctly.

Reactions: microcosm
I have always been a Canon APS-C user and with the D610, looks like i will jump camp soon. Just got a question on whether is there an equivalent of 24-105L for nikon?

Jump here and there will never end. Each brand will leapfrog the other over time. No love for the the 5D Mk III?

Yes, 24-120mm f/4 VR.

Don't intend to start a brand war here. But from several website reviews it seems that this 24120 is merely similar due to its range. Seems like built and IQ is no where near it's L counterpart?

Jump here and there will never end. Each brand will leapfrog the other over time. No love for the the 5D Mk III?

If 5d3 were to be sold at d610 price, I would have snatched it long ago haha. Sadly the 6d is just ain't up to match with even the d600.

If 5d3 were to be sold at d610 price, I would have snatched it long ago haha. Sadly the 6d is just ain't up to match with even the d600.

So back to my previous post....today it is Brand A, tomorrow Brand B. Then it will be Brand B, then Brand A. Just go with something that meet your needs and enjoy using it. All the best in your quest.

Maybe I'll skip the D610 and better jump onto the new Nikon full-frame hybrid F-mount camera... ;)

Maybe I'll skip the D610 and better jump onto the new Nikon full-frame hybrid F-mount camera... ;)

Yeah sounds interesting. If this hybrid camera is priced below d610 then i would take this camera.