D600 or Canon 6D

swift323

Dec 16, 2009
Hi, I am very new to DSLR and keen to learn more. First to start off, I have two Nikkor AF lens (28-85mm and 70-200mm). Practically after trawling the forum this should work with a D600 body. I foresee that I may take photos of children, stage photo (only stage light ambience), other day landscape as well.

My choice of camera body may look fixed on Nikon since I have two existing lens. I really cannot gauge if D600 is suited or not. Read that a 6D performs better in low light that win over D600.

Also all the hype about dust and oil on D600, will this happen on those on the market now?
Appreciate all if can share some pointers with me before I make a final decision. Thanks.

Hi, I am very new to DSLR and keen to learn more. First to start off, I have two Nikkor AF lens (28-85mm and 70-200mm). Practically after trawling the forum this should work with a D600 body. I foresee that I may take photos of children, stage photo (only stage light ambience), other day landscape as well.

My choice of camera body may look fixed on Nikon since I have two existing lens. I really cannot gauge if D600 is suited or not. Read that a 6D performs better in low light that win over D600.

Also all the hype about dust and oil on D600, will this happen on those on the market now?
Appreciate all if can share some pointers with me before I make a final decision. Thanks.

Have you read reviews? Actually done side-by-side comparison instead of only "what you heard"? Read the dozens of similar threads all over the web?

Working at this level of cameras, the difference in low light performance is negligible for most photographers. It will depend on the user more than anything. Personally if I own no lenses at all, I will still probably get the D600 over the 6D.

Working at this level of cameras, the difference in low light performance is negligible for most photographers. It will depend on the user more than anything. Personally if I own no lenses at all, I will still probably get the D600 over the 6D.

Why prefer D600 over 6D? Just curious about your opinion. Care to share?

Get the Nikon, since you have the Nikon lenses and I assume you have used Nikon bodies before, so you should be familiar with the D600. No point jump ship to a new system and had to relearn everything again... plus the menu interface, ergonomic, etc might not be to your liking. As for the better noise performance in low light is something that is pretty negligible since both 6D and D600 should be pretty much equal and the difference should not be too much.

Also note that D600's AF system would be better than the Canon's 6D (according to reviews) and that is very important if you are trying to lock on to your subject quickly.

However, if I was to get a FF and Canon's 5DmkIII is way out of reach for me, I will probably get the 6D because had lots of lenses for Canon instead of Nikon.

Reverse psychology: the fact that you are thinking of smth else other than a nikon ff when u have two gd nikkor ff glass just means that you would not settle for nikon at the end of the day. .

Canon can mount N lenses via adapter. sweet

Suggest u get d600 since u are already on a nikon setup and the 2 lenses u got are pretty good.

As for the dust/oil issue, if u are concerned, get a local set which is covered under warranty.

i'd get the D600, if i were you, since you have Nikon lenses to begin with. actually, even if you're starting a new kit from scratch, i'd still think you should get the D600. from what i've researched, the D600 seems a better camera than the 6D. for my use, at least.. and that maybe the difference. but since you already have a set of Nikon lenses, i think the D600 is a great choice

Better build, built in pop up flash with wireless CLS built in so you can use flashes from Sb600 to Sb910 wirelessly, dual memory card slots, much better and more sophisticated auto iso implementation, ability to use the cheap wifi adapter (negating 6d's wifi). More af points and much more superior movement tracking on continuous af.

Only thing 6d has over the d600 is the built in gps. And that single cross af center point. But heard its ai servo af is quite weak.

And not forgetting the standard things nikon offers that most canons do not: spot metering at selected af point, much more control in wb where you can dial in bias to any wb preset.

Last edited:
rhino123 said:
Get the Nikon, since you have the Nikon lenses and I assume you have used Nikon bodies before, so you should be familiar with the D600. No point jump ship to a new system and had to relearn everything again... plus the menu interface, ergonomic, etc might not be to your liking. As for the better noise performance in low light is something that is pretty negligible since both 6D and D600 should be pretty much equal and the difference should not be too much..

I have that same feeling of staying with a Nikon setup. Since I am totally new to DSLR and have lens given to me.

Last edited:

it's so obvious, in terms of specs, 6D is way behind D600. If i'm a canon user going to upgrade, i will get the 5dmk3.

it's so obvious, in terms of specs, 6D is way behind D600. If i'm a canon user going to upgrade, i will get the 5dmk3.

to be honest, i feel that the 6D and D600 are good in their own ways.

depending on what you expect from the camera, you will not go wrong with either one.

Coming from using both Canon and Nikon, there is something i have to point out other than the above mentioned, that is the controls of the camera.

Some people may find that it's a matter of learning and getting used to it. But for me, i find that there are certain controls(personal preference) i prefer on the Canon over the Nikon, eg. changing of modes

I also find that its easier to learn a Canon system than Nikon. If i were you, i would borrow if i can, if not, rent the 6D for a few days to try it out.

if we are talking about 2 systems (canon and nikon), even thought i'm a nikon user, there are really a few things that i really like on the canon's. but if we are talking purely on the camera model, i really have no clue why they come out such a model (6D). At such a price point, there's way better option. But yes, canon will sell it like hot cakes as always. I don't buy that, D600 seems to be a better choice, or even 5dmk3/D800. some will say camera is just a tool, so specs are not important, but we have to remember we are paying for that.

Coming from using both Canon and Nikon, there is something i have to point out other than the above mentioned, that is the controls of the camera.

Some people may find that it's a matter of learning and getting used to it. But for me, i find that there are certain controls(personal preference) i prefer on the Canon over the Nikon, eg. changing of modes

I also find that its easier to learn a Canon system than Nikon. If i were you, i would borrow if i can, if not, rent the 6D for a few days to try it out.

Last edited:
if we are talking about 2 systems (canon and nikon), even thought i'm a nikon user, there are really a few things that i really like on the canon's. but if we are talking purely on the camera model, i really have no clue why they come out such a model (6D). At such a price point, there's way better option. But yes, canon will sell it like hot cakes as always. I don't buy that, D600 seems to be a better choice, or even 5dmk3/D800. some will say camera is just a tool, so specs are not important, but we have to remember we are paying for that.

Agree with u here.

I am a Canon user, but had used Nikon cameras too (D90, D7000 and D800), I like Nikon alot, but prefer my Canon's ergonomic and control (personally, and not that Nikon is no good, it was just a personal feels). However, looking at how many people jumped into 6D when it was released, really had me thinking... I mean, other than a FF sensor, I am better off with a 60D or a 7D which is around 1k+ nowadays... but I guess it is all up to oneself. However, like I mentioned before, if I was to upgrade to a FF sensor camera, I would still go to 6D, because 5DmkIII is way beyond my budget... and 6D is the only FF I can afford right now without needing to sell off my Canon's gears.

I am now eagerly waiting for the 7DmkII and see how that performed, and as claimed by Canonrumor (CR2), the noise performance of a 7DmkII is close to 5DmkIII, had a framerate of 10fps, 2 card slots, built like 5DmkIII, etc... if that is true, then that camera is a great toy. It is sure going to be an interesting year for Canon fans this year.

I've used both Canon and Nikon and I would agree with tecnica on 6D and D600.

It all depends on individual preference, really.

For me, a 100% VF and dual card slot is a top consideration and thus the D600 automatically wins for me. Other bonus points is that the D600 had more AF points albeit cramped, but because it's cramped in a rectangular shape, the selectable AF points can be pushed more towards the 4 corners compared to the diamond shaped AF array of the 6D.

If 100% VF and dual card slot is not a need, and if you're an avid traveler, then 6D really makes a top choice. It's extremely light and silent, my brief hands on experience finds it impressive. Center point AF is really very responsive and accurate and I can feel that it's more responsive than the D600. The cleaner high ISO of the 6D also makes it useful to get handheld shots when in dim lighting conditions. A lot of people have said that the D600 had some good high ISO capability but personally I don't think so. There's quite a lot of noise past ISO3200. Although the D600 retains more detail past ISO3200 compared to the Canon (Canon's NR is more aggressive), but when you reduce the noise during post processing, it gets lots of details lost too. Maybe it's my poor NR technique in post but generally I would say that the 6D is better at noise management in that aspect. The built in GPS is definitely a welcome - saves you the trouble from buying an external GPS unit.

If you're looking at these 2 models and their price point is where your budget stops, I don't think anyone can go wrong with them. Next you'll also need to consider the focal range you'll need. Buying a DSLR is actually buying into a system. Both Canon and Nikon got their advantages in certain focal range and also advantages in the price point.

It's a very personal thing. Me, I cannot tahan the ergonomics of the 6D, nor the lack of AF points - even the 2009-era A850 (same price, also FF) had better AF and controls.

The D600 is a far more complete camera.

Or skip both and get an A99. ;)