D60 vs D70 Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterfly

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
Need some advice from fellow CS members here.

I was planning to get a D70 in the very near future. But recently a relative of mine offered to sell me a used D60 for a $200 lesser than a brand new D70. Should I take up this offer?

Some additional info:

1) I do not have any system at the moment.
2) Vertical grip not important to me.
3) Planning to take more telephoto shots rather than wide.

All constructive advice/analysis are welcome.

If I were you, I would pay $200 more, get a new digital camera with a warrantry, and is state of the art (the D60 is 2 generations behind the current Canon 10D if I'm not wrong). In fact, I would just pay $200 more to get the warrantry alone.

if you have budget constraints and could bargain down some more, get the D60. btw, is the $200 below the price of D70 with kit or withou?

Either way, the price for the D60 is not worth it, not even if it comes with warranty. As for which one to choose, it's totally up to the buyer, but I'd say this again - the price is not worth it for the D60 at $200 less.

Mpenza: It is without the kit.

Espn: Any idea what is gd price then for a used D60? Thanks. :)

Actually it is more than $200. Offered price is $1400. D70 alone is ard $1650-$1700 rite? Not sure can negotiate further or not. A bit paiseh since it is relative.

justarius said:
If I were you, I would pay $200 more, get a new digital camera with a warrantry, and is state of the art (the D60 is 2 generations behind the current Canon 10D if I'm not wrong). In fact, I would just pay $200 more to get the warrantry alone.

I have thought of that as well. But it seems like D60 is a very durable camera. :)

The 2nd hand D60 market has been going at $1.2K+ IIRC. Save up a bit more and you can get a new camera with more features & warranty.

Especially since you don't own any now, endure and it will bring you greater joy.

There's is nothing pai seh even if it's relative, as long as it's right, and not ridiculous bargains, I would still do it. Relationships are relationships, $ is $, different matters. Your thinking will only cause you obligations and before you know it, you'd be holding the D60 at the price of $1400 just because you felt pai seh.

i recommend a 3rd way out: 70-60 =10

so maybe u can consider getting the EOS 10D ;-)

Clive :kok:

That's cheating :nono:

:bsmilie:

clive said:
i recommend a 3rd way out: 70-60 =10

so maybe u can consider getting the EOS 10D ;-)

Not interested. Too ex... :bsmilie:

before all the nikonians :flame: me, a canonite, here's my $0.02.

save ur money to get the D70. D60 is older, and having a brand new set with warranty saves u a lot of headaches later. unless u in a big hurry to get one, can always wait for the jun PC show to get a DSLR with some bundled freebies at a good price. :think:

$200 more for the D70 is worth it with its newer features. Also, consider which system you want to start. Cause it will be costly to switch.

d70 may be a newer camera but canon telephoto lenses might be better. so, let your eyes be the judge. do a test shoot with both cameras... and get the one that gives you better pics.

zaren said:
d70 may be a newer camera but canon telephoto lenses might be better. so, let your eyes be the judge. do a test shoot with both cameras... and get the one that gives you better pics.

It's true that Canon telephoto shooters have more choice, but I won't say that the individual lenses might be better per se than Nikon ones. :D

I'll go for D70 for many reasons like warranty, more & newer features etc. Just compare the features between the 2 and you'll find that D70 is much better, eg ISO.

go for D70 unless you could squeeze your relative to sell at $1000 or less ;p

This comment is made because it's your relative afterall ;p The D60 in the market will retail for more than that.

mpenza said:
go for D70 unless you could squeeze your relative to sell at $1000 or less ;p

Haha... If that is possible, it would not be a dilemma already. :p

just adding my view so that you will not make the mistake u will regret ;)

Go for D70
It's a wonderful cam with warranty
D60 is not worth it at $1400
Like what mpenza said, dun consider unless less $1000

Hi

My take D70.

With the good DX lens 18-70 f3.5-4.5 DX ED lens, you are getting a real bargain.

D60 low light focus is a real real big problem. Even the AF is slower than 10D. The D70 is on par if not faster than 10D.

Nikon lens are slightly more expensive for the pro series, but better as well..(personal opinion)

I came from Canon. A rare switch....but I prefer Nikon lens and system and would have wished I has started with my original plan of getting a D100 instead of a 10D due to circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.