D60 vs D40 vs $900

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhadMV

Jun 3, 2009
Choa Chu Kang
The title probably explains itself ;p

So initially I settled on the D60,(kit costs about $840) but then realised I would have to buy a dry cabi as well, 30L costs around $100 i think. Total $~950

The D40 kit costs around $700-750 and that + the dry cabi would cost me $800-$850.

I need help on deciding, i've read reviews and other threads from forums and have found mixed views all over the place. Im highly confused about what to do, since my budget is $900 although $950 is acceptable but not desired.

Dun buy the dry cabinet. Get a giant plastic box plus sillica / thirsty hippo. works too. and save you money.

last year...i spent 8**and got a d80+ 18-55 vr.
i sold it at 8** somewhere this year too.
works fine...just that i upgrade to d90 =p.

so i would never spend 900 on a d60/d40!

So initially I settled on the D60,(kit costs about $840) but then realised I would have to buy a dry cabi as well, 30L costs around $100 i think. Total $~950

The D40 kit costs around $700-750 and that + the dry cabi would cost me $800-$850.

I need help on deciding, i've read reviews and other threads from forums and have found mixed views all over the place. Im highly confused about what to do, since my budget is $900 although $950 is acceptable but not desired.

a body and a lens dnt need any dry box to start with... if u budget is fixed at 900... then the D40 lor... put the money aside for the future lens upgrade or cabinet upgrade... if with a budget, just spend the lowest i guess.. cheers...

my friend got 3 lens and a body... oso never use electronic dry cabinet... he just dump everything into a bag... :p

:bsmilie:

Depends on how often you use it i guess. If you use your equipment often (few times a week) and put your equipment in an air-conditioned place, fungus probably shouldn't grow ;)

Have a D40 and strongly believe it is much more worth it than the D60.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Maybe u can consider 2nd hand..there are lots of good quality 2nd hand equipment out there.
Can save abit too.

I am considering buying 2nd hand, to save up for a future lens, but Im still new and am afraid that Ill get scammed or given a faulty camera.

Dun buy the dry cabinet. Get a giant plastic box plus sillica / thirsty hippo. works too. and save you money.

Thanks alot :)

last year...i spent 8**and got a d80+ 18-55 vr.
i sold it at 8** somewhere this year too.
works fine...just that i upgrade to d90 =p.

so i would never spend 900 on a d60/d40!

2nd hand right? And where did you buy it from?

:bsmilie:

Depends on how often you use it i guess. If you use your equipment often (few times a week) and put your equipment in an air-conditioned place, fungus probably shouldn't grow ;)

Thanks, then it shouldn't be a problem

Have a D40 and strongly believe it is much more worth it than the D60.

Any reasons?

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Why do you need to buy a dry cabinet?

I think a dry cabinet would really help in Singapore's humid weather, and a hundred dollar investment to protect your camera is really worth it in the long run. No point buying a camera, only to have fungus growing on the lens.

And I think starting off with a D40 is more worth it, coz you'll definitely wanna upgrade after awhile.:)

I think a dry cabinet would really help in Singapore's humid weather, and a hundred dollar investment to protect your camera is really worth it in the long run. No point buying a camera, only to have fungus growing on the lens.

And I think starting off with a D40 is more worth it, coz you'll definitely wanna upgrade after awhile.:)

it helps but never a must. Its only a must if you dont use your gears very often. Else, theres really no need for it.

Regards

it helps but never a must. Its only a must if you dont use your gears very often. Else, theres really no need for it.

Regards

Doubt that not using my gear often will be a problem. HOWEVER, I'm gonna have to think of what to do during the exam period :(

I hope the plastic box with thirsty hippo solution works well.

Doubt that not using my gear often will be a problem. HOWEVER, I'm gonna have to think of what to do during the exam period :(

I hope the plastic box with thirsty hippo solution works well.

Make sure there isn't any big holes in that plasic box :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.