D60 high ISOs are more usable than A200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlw8888

Aug 16, 2007
Somewhere in heartland
indeed D60 high iso performance is very good,
the reviewer probably never intend for these two models to vie for high iso test therefore did not conduct a same iso test for both under the same condition.
However having with it vr enable body and high iso performance and superb affordable price and compatibility with all af-s and swm lenses i strongly believe D60 will and can easily creamed all it competitor in the same category:thumbsup:

However having with it vr enable body and high iso performance and superb affordable price and compatibility with all af-s and swm lenses i strongly believe D60 will and can easily creamed all it competitor in the same category:thumbsup:

"VR enable body"? You mean VR lenses, right? As compared to the A200, which is in-body. And the limited compatibility of the D60 (no AF motor) is not a plus point...

The D60 and the A200 basically use the same sensor. It's a pity that the reviewer did not use the same test images, so using those 2 rather amateur reviews is not a good indicator. For the D60 he tested high ISO in a bright condition, and for the A200 he tested it in the dark. Of course there will be more noise!

If you're deciding between these 2, the ISO noise levels will actually be fairly similar. Best to consider that with the A200 you get AF and VR (SSS) with ALL lenses, while the D60 won't give you AF for a lot of great lenses.

indeed D60 high iso performance is very good,
the reviewer probably never intend for these two models to vie for high iso test therefore did not conduct a same iso test for both under the same condition.

:bigeyes::bigeyes:

what do you consider to be its competitors, i don't see any significant improvement from d40x to d60 on paper actually.

in any case, test results are only fair and valid to make comparison when all factors are kept equal as far as possible.

If TS is considering cameras in this range, I suggest you also look at Pentax K200D, which is quite impressive in performance. (While K20D is really haveing lots of thoughts and features in it).

I don't really buy the results from so called ISO test normally,
as in camera settings and exposure really affect the output a lot. My D300 shows me heaven and earth's ISO performance with different picture control settings.
Unless you do noise comparison with RAW files... but still, I don't really trust them. :)

any idea how much D60 is priced?
or is it not out in sg?

or is it not out in sg?

please call alan photo, cathay photo, ms color, orient photo and ask for quote

this is definitely not the place to be asking for such information, don't ot. :nono: and donch be lazy, do your own homework. people here can anyhow tell you also you know, why be so trusting?

or is it not out in sg?

Check Nikon subforum for Nikon related topics.. There are tons of threads there.. ;p

Hmmm, some things that bug me there:

- For the weight test, they weighed the A200 WITH lens, the D60 WITHOUT lens.
- For the studio shot, they did not use the same focal length or aperture. They used the Sony lens at 70mm f/7.1 and the Nikkor at 55mm f/5.6.

I'd have loved to have seen a studio setup where both are using equivalent 50mm primes.

The D60 and the A200 basically use the same sensor. It's a pity that the reviewer did not use the same test images, so using those 2 rather amateur reviews is not a good indicator. For the D60 he tested high ISO in a bright condition, and for the A200 he tested it in the dark. Of course there will be more noise!

If you're deciding between these 2, the ISO noise levels will actually be fairly similar. Best to consider that with the A200 you get AF and VR (SSS) with ALL lenses, while the D60 won't give you AF for a lot of great lenses.

doesn't nikon cams use sony's sensor? but somehow or rather, sony's own dslr don't have lower noise than nikon's cams. Meaning nikon engineers are better in extracting the best out of sony's sensors, rather than sony's own engineers...

anyway the ability to AF (or lack of it) for the D60 is a moot point, same goes to VR on lens or body because TS is not asking about those things. He's only asking about ISO comparison between the 2 cams.

doesn't nikon cams use sony's sensor? but somehow or rather, sony's own dslr don't have lower noise than nikon's cams.

They actually have the same amount of noise, but the Sony processing turns it into more of chroma noise.

They actually have the same amount of noise, but the Sony processing turns it into more of chroma noise.

interesting.. so why turn it into chroma noise? got other side benefit of this?

interesting.. so why turn it into chroma noise? got other side benefit of this?

depends really, on smaller printouts it can make the noise less visible and pleasing to non-pro consumers (90% of the market). Many photographers prefer a more film-like grain, which is what Nikon went for.

All depends on your preferences.

had a look at the iso 1600 for both D60 and A200, the noise differences is actually quite minimal.
and in poor lighting when used at high iso without flash..both are equally bad.
talking abt ease of usage.A200 is should be better with it built in AS,very customizable wb that allow u to tweak with K temperture and custom wb set up that are almost idiot proof that beat the other dslr when need to correct a tricky lighting condition...among the entry level except for the olympus and pentax that offer such feature...none of any canon and nikon entry level i know of provide such useful features.
In term of usage
Af speed wise a200 with sony 75-300 f4.5-5.6 af acquisition is faster than a D200 with a AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED,
coming to noise , it only in the last yr that nikon had only recently improve the high iso capability..back then the noise level for D200 and D2* series isn't really much to boast of....either...the D40 beat them both.....now the D300 and D3.

my opinion... dun compare just the noise......with the advancement of technology u never knw when yr competitor will catch up with u

Not to mention that the A200 has more focus points as compared to the D60 (correct me if i am wrong)

I feel it's a matter of personal preference as well. :)

My 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.