D60 discontinued... time to upgrade soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wah lau!!! just bought leh!!

Guys, it doesn't matter. Just keep shooting. Unless of coz you're upgrading to a 1D/1Ds....

I am still using a 3 year old Coolpix 950. 2 megapixel only. :)

Regards
CK

At this point in time, the D60 discontinuance is still an unconfirmed rumor, although DPReview has put it up on ther Front Page News item, and quote text here:-

From DPReview
We have received several emails from concerned readers who were interested in buying an EOS-D60 have been told by their dealer that the D60 has been discontinued. This information is coming out of Canada and has apparently been (accidentally) confirmed by Canon Canada. This is indeed interesting news especially with PMA 2003 just around the corner. That said you would think that Canon could sell plenty more D60's even in the time between now and any future model hitting the streets. UPDATE: As of yet this has NOT been confirmed to us directly by Canon, some other sites have reported it as fact, we wouldn't go that far.

UPDATE2: This from an Australian distributor:

(5th January 2002)
"According to the information we received from Canon Australia there will be no more D60's coming to Australia. Since, we have no more stock left either we had to take the camera off the site. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we still could get some stock in the future. (Canon's information is not always that accurate) In case this happens we will put the camera back in the listing."

My personal take - if DPReview can put it up on their Front Page, it usually is plausible enough and there is enough evidence to convince him to put it up.

Obviously with PMA just round the corner, rumors will start flying fast, and a quick check in DPReview's Canon forum backs that up with several HOT! threads discussing this "discontinuance" and speculations on replacements.

Originally posted by eadwine
wah lau!!! just bought leh!!

:bsmilie:

Buy PS2. :p Dont' see it being dis-continued anytime soon and my S602 works just fine. :D

But seriously, just stick with what you are using. You don't really need the top of the range to get the pictures you want, yes? :)

Besides, your shots have always been creative irregardless of the camera you used, so hey, just keep shooting! :)

heard of the rumor too..
But when is it coming ?? :dunno:

Originally posted by megaweb
just hope Canon will upgrade existing D60 with faster AF ...

If I am a Canon user, I'd like a full frame D60 @ D60 price. No need for 11 megapixels. No need 8fps. Or give me a 1D with 1.5x FLM at D60 price.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If I am a Canon user, I'd like a full frame D60 @ D60 price. No need for 11 megapixels. No need 8fps. Or give me a 1D with 1.5x FLM at D60 price.

Regards
CK

I will choose the latter ;)

Originally posted by ckiang

Regards
CK

I believe that it's 11.1 megapixels because it is full frame. No matter what, like that you're saying, if you want a D60 full frame, you'd get high pixel count. That's because the CMOS sensor is close to 35mm.

My $0.02 worth... :)

1) Canon could just delay the launch of a D40/80/90 etc..
2) Demand for the D60 will force prices to rise
3) Canon could then release additional D60s in small amounts thus preserving their profit margins.

For who knows, they could be losing money for every D60 that they sell (like Microsoft is losing money for every XBox that they sell).

Conspiracy Theory?

So fast!!! Anyway I have been shooting with D60 for more than 9 months, not bad huh? For me there will be no upgrading till 2 years later. Yes I need full frame and I need speed as well, in my widest dream, my future cameras will be 1Ds + 1D or their successors. :D

btw, I would suggest anyone need a camera to buy one NOW, not wait another xx months. It's the man behind the camera makes the difference. The earlier u get it, the ealier u enjoy it. u may wait till another new model coming out, but u cannot wait your life repeat again.

Saw this user posting over at DPReview

Yes...D3...Thats what I was told by my dealer here. He has a better record in the rumor mill than others. He got the D60 specs right as well as the 1DS. He blew it on the 1D speculation when it first came out though. According to him Canon will introduce 2 new SLR's at PMA. A EOS-D3 which is basically a D60/D30 body with a 9 megapixel sensor, 1.3 FOV crop and a 9 zone autofocus. The downside is according to him this is going to be more expensive than the D60 when it came out-around $3,000. Also according to his rumor mill Canon will be putting out a new version of the 1D called the 1DL which will have a 8.2 megapixel sensor in a 1D body with the same specs and autofocus and same 1.3 FOV crop-retail near $7,000.

Which one will you choose? D3, 1DL or go with the current 1D/D60? :D

This is great. Maybe one day I will get my hands on a D60 for <$1000 ! When the D120 has come out.

Originally posted by Jason Ho
Saw this user posting over at DPReview

Which one will you choose? D3, 1DL or go with the current 1D/D60? :D
If dun have a DSLR now, for my amateur shoot, I will choose D3. If budget is tight, then D60. 1D/1DL/1Ds is only needed when I can sell my photos, otherwise must be damn rich or crazy:D

Status
Not open for further replies.