D60 as the 1st DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishakh1301

Sep 8, 2009
East side of Singapore
I need your opinions here.
I am getting my first DSLR. Is Nikon D60 good to be the 1st DSLR?
What I am looking for is the image quality and able to take good night shots.
Previously, my PnS camera can't do that.

Also, due to budget constraint, I don't know which model is good for me.
Advice please!

Hi there, maybe you may want to consider the Nikon D3000, it has 11 AF points compared to the D60s 3 points, allowing your more flexibility of selecting your AF points. Pricing should be about the same as the D60, coupled with the kit lens.

Take note that the D60 will not be able to AF with older lens though.

I would advise you to read the dozens of "What DSLR to start with" threads on here.

And then go to the shops and figure out which camera fits your hand best. Try the Nikons, the Canons, the Sonys, etc etc.

Personally, many people like the D60, but I would avoid it as it has no in-body AF motor and only 3 AF points. I would rather get a Sony, Canon or Pentax for the same money.

I would advise you to read the dozens of "What DSLR to start with" threads on here.

And then go to the shops and figure out which camera fits your hand best. Try the Nikons, the Canons, the Sonys, etc etc.

Personally, many people like the D60, but I would avoid it as it has no in-body AF motor and only 3 AF points. I would rather get a Sony, Canon or Pentax for the same money.

I read about the AF points too. Then, what about Canon 450D?

Cut and paste from my other reply, since same type of question.

For begineer DSLRs, i'll recommand a sony A330 or A300.

The A330 is cheap, light and specially catered to beginners as the LCD will give some explanation on what the various buttons do, so this is a good way for beginners to learn.

There are some bad reviews on the A330, saying the camera hides alot of functions inside the menus instead, but do note that these are the comments by more seasoned DSLR users. The A330 is targeted for beginners, thats why Sony hides most of the uncommonly used functions into the menu instead of having the physical buttons. The ones outside are those that as a beginner, u will often use it.

What sets A330 apart from the other brands is the Image Stabiliser function, which is only found in high end DSLRs of other brand. The IS will be extremely useful for beginners.

The A300 is exactly same specs as the A330, but its more catered for users which knows how to use a DSLR (more buttons, no guiding mode). Its cheaper too! So it depends on whether the help function and the easy mode keys are useful to u anot, then choose between those 2 cams.

head down to the shop with your budget and try out the different cams and see which suits you well and get that one you like.

every cam has it's pros and cons, you have to know what you want or we can only do as much as tell you.

good or bad, you decide.

Perhaps you might want to describe what kind of night shots you intend to take and whether is it with or without flash? The lens is another important component.

Hi there, maybe you may want to consider the Nikon D3000, it has 11 AF points compared to the D60s 3 points, allowing your more flexibility of selecting your AF points. Pricing should be about the same as the D60, coupled with the kit lens.

Take note that the D60 will not be able to AF with older lens though.

I heard the D3000 has poor ISO peformance compared to the D60....

I have been working with the D60 for 8 months now,no problems with the AF points most of the times as the points are huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.