D5D + 5600HSD + built-in diffuser = overexposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
With the Dimage A2, I could point the 5600HSD to the ceiling, and use the built-in diffuser to spread the light to the ceiling. I could even pop it out partially to make it like a mini-bounce card (a technique also mentioned in the D5D/7D e-book by Gary Friedman). P-mode on camera, TTL-mode on flash.

But when I try the same thing with the D5D, it just results in severe over-exposure. (Straight-on ADI/TTL HSS on or off, no problems).

What's the deal with that, eh? Characteristic or flaw?

synapseman said:
With the Dimage A2, I could point the 5600HSD to the ceiling, and use the built-in diffuser to spread the light to the ceiling. I could even pop it out partially to make it like a mini-bounce card (a technique also mentioned in the D5D/7D e-book by Gary Friedman). P-mode on camera, TTL-mode on flash.

But when I try the same thing with the D5D, it just results in severe over-exposure. (Straight-on ADI/TTL HSS on or off, no problems).

What's the deal with that, eh? Characteristic or flaw?

characteristic... try flash compensation +1... happens to the best of us.. (aka 7D)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
characteristic... try flash compensation +1... happens to the best of us.. (aka 7D)
Hi Bro....you mean -1......i suppose...sice his images are already over.

BTW...i would recomment to check the camera + flash function first:
- Camera(P Mode) - Flash (Pre-Flash TTL) head on - Check if okay
-Camera(P Mode) - Flash (Pre-Flash TTL) head up to ceiling bounce + EV +1 - check if okay.

The above is to check if the flash is okay in full program mode..

rgds,
Sulhan

Thanks guys.

Dang, that's a bit troublesome, made even more so since the D5D doesn't have the ability to store user-settings. It's yet another bug that I hope they can find a fix for.

think that is an inherent problem with the D5D and D7D, flash inconsistencies...

wondering if it is the problem with the body or the flash?

on the A1, A2, A200, the HS5600 seems to work perfectly.

I usually trial & error by decreasing the level of power to 1/2, or 1/4, or 1/8, depending on the height of the ceiling & the length of the room (am using D5D with 5600HSD too)... Alot of guesswork, especially under tricky lighting... :sweat:

Get the camera and flash calibrated if the problem of over or under exposure is reproducible.

Status
Not open for further replies.