D5300 vs D90

Vincent1551

Jan 14, 2014
Singapore
Hi all. I've just started photography again (big jump from film to digital format).

Could someone advise me in terms of image quality, aside from other tech advantages like built-in GPS & wifi, will the D5300 produce better images as compared to the D90? Assuming we are comparing at the same image resolution and mega pixel.

Hope I'm making sense here :D

Thanks

Cameras do not make images, photographers do.

Hi all. I've just started photography again (big jump from film to digital format).

Could someone advise me in terms of image quality, aside from other tech advantages like built-in GPS & wifi, will the D5300 produce better images as compared to the D90? Assuming we are comparing at the same image resolution and mega pixel.

Hope I'm making sense here :D

Thanks

Technically speaking D5300 utilized a newer and better sensor as compared to the old D90.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D90-versus-Nikon-D5300___439_919

Falling back on the DXOmark test (although a camera doesn't just comprise of sensor only), it is clear that the new sensor is better than the old one in D90.

However, like what daredevil123 had pointed out, it is the person behind the camera that matters...

and again with the old example - I have seen professional photographer with a Canon 350D capturing extremely good photos that can be sold for lots of money and of better quality as compared to many using FF cameras.

Technically it is a resounding yes.

Even more so when the image from the D5300 is down sampled to match the D90 resolution.

There isn't much going for the D90 nowadays. It was great & it still produces good quality pictures. Technology changes fast. The latest sensor is always the better in terms of image quality.

Here is a link for you to compare.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D90-versus-Nikon-D5300___439_919

Here is a link for D5300 review

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5300

Thank you very much Light. I need to get my ahead around digital photography.

Gone are the days where the lens matter much more then the camera :D

Thank you very much Light. I need to get my ahead around digital photography.

Gone are the days where the lens matter much more then the camera :D

I'm still a believer in the point that the lens matters more than the camera.
I would guess that the exact same photograph taken with D90 and D5300 would not be easily distinguishable when viewed from typical distance on a PC screen.

Hey Zero. I was thinking more of how it looks on a 42-60 inch TV monitor (or high res projector) and seated about 4 meters away. :)

Hey Zero. I was thinking more of how it looks on a 42-60 inch TV monitor (or high res projector) and seated about 4 meters away. :)

I guess can't be absolutely certain unless you try :)
Bear in mind that most monitors are about 2MP resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080). Full HD TVs are about there as well.
Even the latest 4K resolution TVs are still lower than D90's 12MP ;)
So my guess is that when viewed from 'normal' distance, the differences, if any, should be minor.

Where the D5300's newer sensor will probably outshine the D90 is in greater dynamic range and better details at high ISO. That alone is enough to swing the decision! ;)

Thanks Zero I didn't know about the resolution of the TVs. It was great to know. Thanks :D

You missed dd123 point... iPhone can indicate take Good pictures too..
It's the man behind the machine that controls everything...

The point is in the question he asked. A better camera does not give you better images. If sharper lens and higher resolution is used to shoot a bad picture, all you get is a sharper and bigger bad picture.

will the D5300 produce better images as compared to the D90?

Anyway, TS cannot respond to you. He has been suspended for trolling.

Last edited: