D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

going to cambodia in dec..thinking should I buy tokina 11-16mm for this and future trip? Currently have kit lens and 35mm, not sure whether the kit lens can cover the landscape? Anyone tried before is it allowed if I put my naked tripod into the backpack on budget airline carry on luggage?

going to cambodia in dec..thinking should I buy tokina 11-16mm for this and future trip? Currently have kit lens and 35mm, not sure whether the kit lens can cover the landscape? Anyone tried before is it allowed if I put my naked tripod into the backpack on budget airline carry on luggage?

Really depends on what you will be shooting. If you intend to shoot temples, landscapes and other buildings then the 11-16mm will be very useful. Most importantly enjoy your trip :)

You do get some significant improvements over the D5100. Noteworthy improvements include the 39 AF-points, 2,016 RGB sensor, the 24MP sensor...

Yes.... D5200 does look more attractive than D5100. However, its still boils down what you want the camera for? If you are a casual shooter, I believe D5100 will be able to fulfill all your needs. Instead of upgrading to D5200, why not use the money for a good holiday or get a better lens.

If you are into sports, sorry, I think you will need better camera and lens.

Hi, just got a D5100...just a quick question, at the bottom right of the viewfinder, I always see a symbol "r27" when I half press the shutter release button....what does this symbol represents?

kurby said:
Hi, just got a D5100...just a quick question, at the bottom right of the viewfinder, I always see a symbol "r27" when I half press the shutter release button....what does this symbol represents?

It means your camera can take 27 pictures before your buffer is full.

Has anyone taken a picture with the camera flash, with a lens hood on? Did the flash cast a shadow on the lower portion of the picture? I did and the shadow appeared.....maybe I am being dumb in shooting with flash and lens hood.....for convenience I just left the lens hood on all the time....

kurby said:
Has anyone taken a picture with the camera flash, with a lens hood on? Did the flash cast a shadow on the lower portion of the picture? I did and the shadow appeared.....maybe I am being dumb in shooting with flash and lens hood.....for convenience I just left the lens hood on all the time....

You can solve your own mystery by:

1. Setting up your camera (preferably on a tripod or something stable)
2. Pop up your flash
3. Set your lens to the widest focal length
4. Take a photo with the lens hood on
5. Take a photo with the lens hood off
6. Compare the results

Hi guys I bought my D5100 in October last year. On the first charge I was able to get about 900+ frames. However, subsequent charge, I got about 300+ frames. Video is worst, after 20 minutes(combined) of videos, the battery indicator will turn red. Is this normal?

Hi guys I bought my D5100 in October last year. On the first charge I was able to get about 900+ frames. However, subsequent charge, I got about 300+ frames. Video is worst, after 20 minutes(combined) of videos, the battery indicator will turn red. Is this normal?

Seems on the manual stated that a fully charged battery can last approx 660 shots. However there are things you need to take note.

Battery juice will drain faster if:
1. Constant viewing of images after shots.
2. LiveView usage
3. Using of AF-C mode during shoot.
4. Capturing of videos..

These are some i can think of at the moment. If battery can last you around 400 shots, i think it is still okay. For your 300+ shots, you might want to test it again.

Depending on my usage I can usually get around 400-500 shots on a fully charged battery. My usage is still shots only, no video and very little use of live view.

Seems on the manual stated that a fully charged battery can last approx 660 shots. However there are things you need to take note.

Battery juice will drain faster if:
1. Constant viewing of images after shots.
2. LiveView usage
3. Using of AF-C mode during shoot.
4. Capturing of videos..

These are some i can think of at the moment. If battery can last you around 400 shots, i think it is still okay. For your 300+ shots, you might want to test it again.

Hi Bro, I did none of that and still get the 300++ frames. I have to record a video interview in a few days time and the 20 minutes is quite... Bad. I thought of buying another battery(probably second hand, any recommendation?) but the original battery is still a problem. Is it covered under warranty?

Guys another question, I am interested to do some videos with the d5100, mixture of interviews with some clips.i was wondering if I should get the tamron 17-50mm BIM non-vc or 35mm/50mmg lense for video? Does the tamron AF for video taking?

Hi Bro, I did none of that and still get the 300++ frames. I have to record a video interview in a few days time and the 20 minutes is quite... Bad. I thought of buying another battery(probably second hand, any recommendation?) but the original battery is still a problem. Is it covered under warranty?

You can approach nikon service center for help if you suspect it is a battery problem. As for buying a spare battery, i would recommend to get the original battery.

Hi not sure this is the right thread to ask, but is anyone have trouble auto focusing with this camera paired with Nikon 35mm f1.8G when shooting wide open?

I'm not very sure. The camera is having problem focusing when my 35mm lens is set at f1.8 when using the viewfinder. I tried focusing with the center focusing point and the other focusing point in AF-S,AF-A and AF-C mode.