D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

You need to rotate the CPL clockwise or counter-clockwise to get a different amount of polarization?

Polarizing filters work by blocking certain light waves from entering the lens. Rotating the polarizer allows certain types of light waves to pass through, while blocking other ranges of light waves.

i recall that the 18-55 rotates as it focus, using a CPL means you need to lock focus and reset the CPL setting?

How come your kit lens so special doesn't rotate? Mine rotates when it focuses :dunno:

Alamak. Apologies. :embrass::embrass: Too long didn't use this lens. Just checked. Yes, it rotates. :kok:

Luminare: yup, I have to turn the CPL everytime I re-focus.

lol thanks for clearing up :). Btw which CPL are you using? I'm using a Tianya CPL mounted on a square filter holder and I find it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of colour on my photos no matter how I turn it. Seems like a waste of my $30 :confused:

lol thanks for clearing up :). Btw which CPL are you using? I'm using a Tianya CPL mounted on a square filter holder and I find it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of colour on my photos no matter how I turn it. Seems like a waste of my $30 :confused:

Using a Tokina one. Colors do make a difference. Easiest to see if you aim at the sky / sea and turn the filter.
Can make the sky more blue and turn the clouds grey too.

See filter here

Last edited:

I used a Kenko Pro 1D. not bad, takes away the glare when photographing snow covered moutains and the glare from the summer sun

873.JPG

Hello bro ahockz,

I got similiar package from the recent IT show at the price $1199. I had dry cabinet and IR remote but without the Rain Proof Bag (just a small Nikon bag). I love this camera so far...

42 page too long for me to read from 1 page to end i just random skipping a few pages.

Got read about dry box/cabinet etc. Len need to be kept in a cabinet or dry box?
Think i got more to read up, just found a link about this in snap.

Mainly I just like to take photos. Been using point and shoot type. But when go in event like NDP, friend wedding, site seeing some pictures taken always not clear and small. Think should at least get a DSLR for better image.

Saw the current offer is $1199 with Card Reader, 8GB SD Card, Rain Proof Bag, Tripod & Nikon Supreme Cleaning Kit worth more than $200.*
+ AF-S 55-200mm VR lens at $199 (Should i get this too)

T K Foto (May) - $909, (Cash only) FOC : 8GB Class 4 SDHC Card, Nikon Bag, Nikon D5100 Leather Hand Grip Strap, Nikon Cleaning Kit and Nikon Tripod, Screen Protector

Need to scout around to see any better deal.. ;p

^_^

The D5100 should be a great camera.

I loved my D5000 which i had for 3 years.

Look forward to the photos that you all take if you all would care to share.

Cheers

Oooo. think i will just get a filter just in case . . . .

Anyway i got my body with kit from SLRR.

nikon 5100, $931(16GB Class 4 SDHC Card, Nikon Bag, Nikon D5100 Leather Hand Grip Strap, Nikon Cleaning Kit and Nikon Tripod) + $188 (55-200 Len offer price when buy with kit).

just get a normal kenko UV filter to protect the front element of the kit lens would do. For me it is to prevent any accidental scratches to the front element of the lens, 52mm is pretty common and somehow i feel you will be able to use it on other lens. Cost wise is around $22...

Hi i'm a young photography enthusiast and i'm interested in knowing where can i get the cheapest Meike D5100 Battery Grip? Please help me out here folks~

Hi i'm a young photography enthusiast and i'm interested in knowing where can i get the cheapest Meike D5100 Battery Grip? Please help me out here folks~

Why Meike? All the third party grips are more or less the same. You can check ebay or dealextreme or any camera accessories store such as artworkfoto, sgcamerastore or reddotphoto.

Oh wow! thanks for the recommendations. I know several stores like TK Foto , Alan ... yeah i asked them whether they sell it but haven't yet gotten a reply.
Why i wanted meike was the fact that i read reviews that says it is somewhat the "best" grip for D5100 considering the contours and colors of it matching the actual D5100 Body, as compared to other 3rd parties. But well, i was hoping i could get a 2nd hand from people here... but i guess its really an unpopular product and i have to resort to buying it online uh! Thanks for the reply anyway.

Cheers!

Oh wow! thanks for the recommendations. I know several stores like TK Foto , Alan ... yeah i asked them whether they sell it but haven't yet gotten a reply.
Why i wanted meike was the fact that i read reviews that says it is somewhat the "best" grip for D5100 considering the contours and colors of it matching the actual D5100 Body, as compared to other 3rd parties. But well, i was hoping i could get a 2nd hand from people here... but i guess its really an unpopular product and i have to resort to buying it online uh! Thanks for the reply anyway.

Cheers!

No problem :) As far as I know, the grips all come from the same factory, and then they just brand it under different names.

welcome to 5100!

Kit is enough for u to practice.
Later on you may want to upgrade lens, but can do it slowly.
Some newbie for a start would try 50/1.8 because it is bright, can shoot shallow DOF, yet cheap ($180?).
However, the old type 50/1.8 cannot auto focus on 5100.

Hi Sin

Talking about manual lens on D5100, do u know where can I get split screen for the camera? At what price and how to change? Would the shop change it for you?

Also, does the metering work with manual lens on as I have a hard time deciding the shutter speed? Thanks.

Kelv

Hi Sin

Talking about manual lens on D5100, do u know where can I get split screen for the camera? At what price and how to change? Would the shop change it for you?

Also, does the metering work with manual lens on as I have a hard time deciding the shutter speed? Thanks.

Kelv

why need split screen? so small.

manual focusing can rely on the green focus indicator and focusing scale.

for metering, it just work independently.

Hi, newbie reporting..

I just bought my first DSLR D5100 yesterday together with the 50mm f1.8D. Love this camera. :D

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Saw an article in today newspaper mentioning about instant $$$ rebate for SIGMA

Anyone saw that?

I m a newbie in photography n currently holding to a Nikon D5100. Looking for a 50 mm lens and flash.

Anyone knows how much is it based on the promotion?

How good is sigma compared to original Nikon lens n flash?

Please advise!

U might want to check out the bns section for a 2nd hand sb600, still relevant and not too exp, my guess is 200 or less for a decent condn one? Af- s 50mm u might want to reconsider unless u do alot of portraits or am prepared to walk back alot due to crop factor.
Alt, u can think abt the sigma 30mm f1.4 or nikon 35mm 1.8.