D5100 or D7000?

dougs

Jun 7, 2010
I understand that both use same sensor, so which one should I get? Also understand the movie recording for D5100 is better.

What are the main differences to get D7000 over D5100?

As i remember D7000 is higher end camera compared to D3000, D3100, D5000 and D5100. This body is of Magnesium alloy and has a AF motor is in the body (means, you can use the lenses without the motor and auto focus). D5100 and D7000 shares the same sensor. hence, same resolution.
Hope this helps.

Review on DPR is here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/
There you can compare the images shot by both cameras.
To me the D5100 strikes a better balance between NR/detail retention.

D7K has a much better body for fast access to functions.
Backwards compatibility to legacy lenses
Ability to use screw drive lenses.

I understand that both use same sensor, so which one should I get? Also understand the movie recording for D5100 is better.

better build, more shortcut buttons, bigger in size for better grip, more AF points + faster AF, higher FPS, dual card slots, can AF with AF-D lenses, n bigger n brighter viewfinder.

my understanding is D7000 is a semi-pro body and D5100 is entry level body :)

Take note that image quality is not everything.

It's also about how easy you can do achieve the effect you want. Imagine doing HDR one shot at a time in D3100 compare to D5100 with auto-bracket capability. Another example is the mirror up mode only available in D7000 and above camera.

It's also about how easy you can do achieve the effect you want. Imagine doing HDR one shot at a time in D3100 compare to D5100 with auto-bracket capability. Another example is the mirror up mode only available in D7000 and above camera.

Loving the HDR feature in my D5100 :)
by the way, what is the purpose of mirror up mode? I find it a bit uneasy because the viewfinder goes black for about 1 sec each time you take a photo (kind of slow down....)

ctm1968 said:
by the way, what is the purpose of mirror up mode? I find it a bit uneasy because the viewfinder goes black for about 1 sec each time you take a photo (kind of slow down....)

D5100 has mirror up? No right??

Anyway, this mode allows you to shoot with less camera shake by flipping the mirror first on one click on shutter release. Your second click will open the shutter for the actual shot. Usually used with support (e.g. tripod)

actually it all goes down to what fuctions you need it and what fuctions you don't. And what kind of photography are you going to be moving on. Some fuctions you won't be needed in D7000, then you can save more money and go ahead with D5100. You need to classify your personal needs and wants.

ctm1968 said:

That feature is not called mirror up mode. It is called exposure delay.

That feature is not called mirror up mode. It is called exposure delay.

Yeah, I thought so too. Just went to NSC to pick up the new D5100 and the Total Image System brochure.

BTW, thank you DD123. The exposure delay mode did work for my shots pretty well for Long Exposure.

At the end it still depend on your financial status. If you earn like 4-5k monthly then go for D7000. Else D5100 also not lousy until no people want.

Sometime we always wanna get the best device, but at the end we never use those feature. My friend purposely wanna get that Sony DSLR 10fps, then I ask her why.. She told me:"can do 10fps ler". Then I ask her again, how often you shoot more than 1fps with your old dslr? She said never unless try camera for fun...

I hope you could get my meaning through our conversation, get something you need but not you want. Unless your financial allow you to spend on what you want.

Both are outstanding cameras. Personally I would recommend D7000.

i second the D7000 recommendation

At the end it still depend on your financial status. If you earn like 4-5k monthly then go for D7000. Else D5100 also not lousy until no people want.

Sometime we always wanna get the best device, but at the end we never use those feature. My friend purposely wanna get that Sony DSLR 10fps, then I ask her why.. She told me:"can do 10fps ler". Then I ask her again, how often you shoot more than 1fps with your old dslr? She said never unless try camera for fun...

I hope you could get my meaning through our conversation, get something you need but not you want. Unless your financial allow you to spend on what you want.

i earn much more than that, but still feel too expensive to afford the D7000.

Monthly income has totally nothing to do with what camera body people should buy. To think that, is to be totally twisted.

that's some stereotype u got. based on this weird stereotype u got, now i wonder how much do those earn when they buy hasselblads n other medium format cameras for their own personal use...

to TS, it all depends how much r u willing to spend on the camera, n how much of ur savings u can afford to fork out for this hobby. just a note tho, if u get the d5100, u might crave for an upgrade alot earlier. i'm just speaking from my own personal experience tho

Last edited: