D5100 or D7000?

irvind said:
At the end it still depend on your financial status. If you earn like 4-5k monthly then go for D7000. Else D5100 also not lousy until no people want.

Never heard of saving up for what you want to get? So a person earning who is earning a five figure monthly salary has no choice but to buy a D3s? Haha this is quite a joke man.

Just Buy D7000

Yes d7k is a semi pro. In fact the buttons are well place and customized better than d700

You can consider D7000 a semi-pro body

sumsum80 said:
Yes d7k is a semi pro. In fact the buttons are well place and customized better than d700

It is a semi-pro body, its only one level down from the D300s, which is considered a pro DX body.

according to cameralabs, d7000 is a mid-range camera like the d90, while d300s is considered semi-pro.

cameralabs said:
In theory this makes the D7000 one of the most powerful mid-range DSLRs on the market, and one which in some respects even treads on the toes of semi-pro models, including Nikon's own D300s.

even dpreview classifies d7000 as mid-range

dpreview said:
Ultimately, the D7000's specification is hard to argue with. A newly developed, 16.3 MP resolution sensor, 6 frames per second continuous shooting, 1080p full HD video and an abundance of customization options place this camera firmly into the upper regions of the mid-range market segment.

d300s and d700 are then considered semi-pro bodies, while d3 series are considered pro bodies.

Last edited:
Never heard of saving up for what you want to get? So a person earning who is earning a five figure monthly salary has no choice but to buy a D3s? Haha this is quite a joke man.

What I mean is you earn more than you willing to spend more on hobby etc. Because budget normally is the main concern when purchase something new. But I'm not mean that earning 10k per month must buy D3s, vice versa earning 1k per month must buy D40. Cheers~

While the D7000 is a great camera it is also heavier and larger than the D5100.

Is size and weight an issue for you? If it is the D5100 might be a better choice.

While I really like my D5000, I on occasion feel the camera is a little too big.

Why bother with what label anybody gives a camera body. Personally any body that makes money for its user is more "pro" than any d3s owned by a hobbyist once a week.

Is it that important to know whether the camera body you are using is a semi pro or a mid range??

Is it that important to know whether the camera body you are using is a semi pro or a mid range??

Only important when boasting to friends and family about how "pro" one's camera is.

wuminlee said:
in this case, best body is D3s or D3X .. one look already know its pro body

Can buy used d2 or d2h or d2x also mah. One look also pro. And very cheap too. LOL.

irvind said:
What I mean is you earn more than you willing to spend more on hobby etc. Because budget normally is the main concern when purchase something new. But I'm not mean that earning 10k per month must buy D3s, vice versa earning 1k per month must buy D40. Cheers~

Don't make sense la. Budget is not only about how much one makes.

What if a guy makes 1k a month. But have inheritance of 5 million?

In the end, people have to make their own decisions in purchases. Because in the end, they are accountable for it and have to bear the consequences for their decisions.

Last edited:
I understand that both use same sensor, so which one should I get? Also understand the movie recording for D5100 is better.

What are the main differences to get D7000 over D5100?

overlooking all features between these 2 bodies, first thing you gonna ask, how much you gonna spend.... or how much you are willing to spend...

ps. of course, this is regardless how much you are earning.

Last edited:
Don't make sense la. Budget is not only about how much one makes.

What if a guy makes 1k a month. But have inheritance of 5 million?

In the end, people have to make their own decisions in purchases. Because in the end, they are accountable for it and have to bear the consequences for their decisions.

@daredevil123 you got my support.

All the rest of us can do is just give advice.
In the end of the day, you are using your own money to buy your own.
No point we tell you that this is good, that is good, but after you buy it, it doesn't suit you. That's still wasting your own money.
And Buying a body and buying a lens are 2 different things.

(Just some examples)
Before you buy a body, ask yourself :
What functions do I need?
Is it use for extreme climates?
Am I going to crop pictures?
More of low lighting?
Are the buttons suit my convenient when shooting?
Do I have a big or small hand? Since d5100 is smaller than d7000.
Do I really need the HD video function? Or just pure shooting?

Before you buy a lens, you might want to ask yourself :
What occasions do i mainly use for? Portraits? Wildlife? Sports? Streets? Buildings? Landscape?
Do I need DX or FX lens?

I might be wrong though, but...
THE BEST OPTION is that you go down to any recommended shops, try it out yourself and ask for opinions from experienced people.
And opinions can be good or bad, but in the end, you are the one who make the decision.

Last edited:
Buy what your pocket say. :cheers:

I bought the D5100 to cure my itch into DSLR, was using the F801S & F90X. I would consider myself a newbie.

Went to a party and my newbie friend using D7000. My photos won many praises while my friend with D7000 has not so good shots.

I would vote for the D5100 anytime till the D700 replacement comes in and still will use the D5100 as a back-up.

I have both the kit lens (18-55) & 35 1.8. Will get the 55-200 and thereafter rest my case. cheers!