D5100 and what Lens to Singapore Formula1 Grand Prix?

tskeng

Jul 16, 2009
Hi,

I have a Nikkon D5100 and I was wondering what Lens I should accompany it with during the Singapore GP this September?

As I will be sitting at the front row of the Grand Stand near where the Start and End point of the race, I hope to capture the following:

1) The drivers before the start of the race when they prepare for the race (hopefully can see their faces through their clear helmet visors)
2) The line-up of at least the first 4 cars
3) The winning vehicle at the last lap.
4) And probably some general walkabout snapping.

During the race, the main track will have no corners from where I am sitting, therefore I believe the cars will be at almost full speed.
But the pit stops are possible to be seen but usually the cars don't stay more than 5 seconds at standstill.

So I was wondering what Lens I should be getting so that I can have some practise and get to know the Lens better before the actual event itself?

Thanks!

Apologies if the idea of mine is too far-fetch or ridiculous. :embrass:

tskeng said:
Hi,

I have a Nikkon D5100 and I was wondering what Lens I should accompany it with during the Singapore GP this September?

As I will be sitting at the front row of the Grand Stand near where the Start and End point of the race, I hope to capture the following:

1) The drivers before the start of the race when they prepare for the race (hopefully can see their faces through their clear helmet visors)
2) The line-up of at least the first 4 cars
3) The winning vehicle at the last lap.
4) And probably some general walkabout snapping.

During the race, the main track will have no corners from where I am sitting, therefore I believe the cars will be at almost full speed.
But the pit stops are possible to be seen but usually the cars don't stay more than 5 seconds at standstill.

So I was wondering what Lens I should be getting so that I can have some practise and get to know the Lens better before the actual event itself?

Thanks!

Apologies if the idea of mine is too far-fetch or ridiculous. :embrass:

You want to shoot their faces through the visors from the grandstand?! You definitely can't walk about with that lens :bsmilie:

You want to shoot their faces through the visors from the grandstand?! You definitely can't walk about with that lens :bsmilie:

hmm i guess i know what r u referring too....

i think.

55-200mm

70-200mm

70-300mm

all nikon af-s

luckyorange said:

i think.

55-200mm

70-200mm

70-300mm

all nikon af-s

Nope, not those lenses. 300mm is barely enough to take the cars, can forget about shooting through the visors

One thing you can say is I have no idea how far I will be from the drivers.

BTW how come 300mm barely enough?

tskeng said:
One thing you can say is I have no idea how far I will be from the drivers.

BTW how come 300mm barely enough?

If you shoot from the grandstand, 300mm definitely cannot let you shoot at the eyes through the visor. In fact, I'm not even sure 500mm is enough

luckyorange said:

i think.

55-200mm

70-200mm

70-300mm

all nikon af-s

spree86 said:
Nope, not those lenses. 300mm is barely enough to take the cars, can forget about shooting through the visors

luckyorange said:
eh.. those lens are for ts =x

spree86 said:

Lol epic.

If you shoot from the grandstand, 300mm definitely cannot let you shoot at the eyes through the visor. In fact, I'm not even sure 500mm is enough

At first I was thinking of 70-300mm, with the D5100 it will be multiplied 1.5 crop factor.

So how far can I go?

Or what the general idea I should stick to now that there're so many limitations.

tskeng said:
At first I was thinking of 70-300mm, with the D5100 it will be multiplied 1.5 crop factor.

So how far can I go?

Or what the general idea I should stick to now that there're so many limitations.

It depends on how near you can get to the cars at the starting line. If you can get very close then 300mm is enough, just not from the seats at the grandstand. When you shoot the cars just take note of your shutter speed, if not u will go home with unusable pictures

spree86 said:
It depends on how near you can get to the cars at the starting line. If you can get very close then 300mm is enough, just not from the seats at the grandstand. When you shoot the cars just take note of your shutter speed, if not u will go home with unusable pictures

Okies. So 55-300mm, 70-300mm or maybe the tamron 18-270 PZD will suffice?

Hehehe

tskeng said:

Hehehe

Have you went and see where will you be situated at? From there gauge the distance after that decide on what you want to shoot than decide on the lens.

Hehehe

All of those lenses are rather slow, depending on your position and the lighting conditions, it might or might not be enough

crystal1993 said:
Have you went and see where will you be situated at? From there gauge the distance after that decide on what you want to shoot than decide on the lens.

Hmmm... Maybe go to the place itself and take a look first. I presume it should be roughly the same as the chingay progression situation.

But I can't wait till the event itself. Need to practice and learn the characteristics of the Lens first. :D

spree86 said:
All of those lenses are rather slow, depending on your position and the lighting conditions, it might or might not be enough

Hmmm.. The track should be brightly lit. Not sure about the pit stop area though.

try getting a 80-400 with a TC2.0?