D5000 2nd lens help

glgl96

Apr 16, 2010
Singapore, Singapore
newbie over here. got my camera from the last IT fair not long ago. nid some help now.
my 1st DSLR. or shld i sae its my first camera other than the camera on my phone.

been intro by my other friends to cs.
Hi all!

i have a nikon D5000. currently i only have a kit lens.
tinkin to get a new one.

was tinkin to get 55-200mm nikkor f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR
as i realise my current lens couldnt zoom enough when i try to take photos of insects/animals.

im not too sure wat type of photos i like to take for now. been tryin out landscape and macro.
found out i prefer macro more. enjoy taking photos of flowers, insects, animals, nature.
but i also like nite landscape shots. but will definitely wanna try candid and street shots as well soon but for now still no chance yet.

is 55-200mm a versatile lens?
i will prefer to get a lens that could be used for macro, landscape and streets.

when i try to take photos of animals and insects, i cant get realli close so i was tinkin to get the extra zoom.

but cant really get to focus when i put my kit lens near to flowers for close up.
if i stay to far off n the flower will seem too small.

what accessories shld i get to pair up this lens if i realli wan to go into macro photography.

personally i have went down to try this lens. i like the feel. zoom is good enuff. compact and isnt veri bulky or heavy. wanted to try the 70-300mm but didnt get to cuz was in a rush.

or shld i get a raynox250 to pair up wif my kit lens? was thinkin of this as i still cant take veri good shots for now. =(

my budget is abt $400 for lens and accessories. dun mind to top it up a bit more. mayb lets sae $500.

any advice? i have read quite a lot. but still couldnt make any decision.

1) get this lens? or other recommendations?
2) get wat accessories to pair up for macro? close up filter?
3) can it be used for landscape? accessories?

Thanks!

For landscape ur kit lens is still reliable. The 18mm wide end is useful. Since u're into macro why not get the 50mm 1.8D, it won't AF on your body but you will be more successful using manual focus anyway, attach the raynox and you are set for macro.

As for the 55-200, u said u're not really ready for candids and street photography and more into macro, so I suggest you get your macro set 1st and delay the purchase of 55-200 for the time being.

Go for 55-200mm as you have 18-55mm that can cover landscape too.
If you getting raynox250, you must know how many times you will be using on macro.
I dont suggest 50mm because i got one myself. I have some problem with it to do manual focus.

Welcome to CS:)

if you wana take macro but ensure if it's advisable to get new equipment...I think a macro lens/raynox250 is a "must"...(not always..haha)...raynox250 is ok for the price....can try...if u reli wana cut ur risk to lowest then go get a closeup filter for your kit lens then...but inevitably, manual foucs is very much a must to prevent urself becoming a frustrated hunter when doing macro....
*PS: manual focusing involves much practice...

Last edited:
Hi all. Thanks for reading.
I have read through all the comments and still unable to make a decision.
Anyway, I won't be able to get my next lens till i get my next pay.
So i still have quite some time to think about it.

A prime lens will be good, but its definitely not ideal for me as I would prefer the lens to be as versatile as possible. Manual Focus is still a problem for me and I'm still trying to grasp the skill.

If i get a prime lens, it will be difficult for me to use in other situations, such as friends' parties, as i will need the zoom.

So i was thinking to get a 55-200mm, and get a close up filter first. As raynox250 is more expensive.

Hi, welcome to CS :)
I suggest that you go for the AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX. Together with your 18-55mm, this is a good pair up. As for the AF-S 70-300mm is a good range to have but its way off you budget & I don't think the AF 70-300mm can focus on your D5K.
As for macro, use close up flilters. I use the 55-200mm lens for my macro shots. You can get your close up filters here ;)

Last edited:
thanks. was almost settled on getting 55-200mm and close up filters.
but still i will still go try the 70-300mm as well.

as for the close up filters, what should i get? the whole package of +1 to +4? or should i just get individual pieces.

thanks. was almost settled on getting 55-200mm and close up filters.
but still i will still go try the 70-300mm as well.

as for the close up filters, what should i get? the whole package of +1 to +4? or should i just get individual pieces.
For the close-up filters, get the whole set so that you can stack them, if you have budget constrain. If not go for the DCR250 raynox ;)

For $500, topping up a little more can get you a true macro lens, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro :)

hello all, me newbie here too :). sorry if i crash your thread

i also own a d5000 bought last march IT fair, got together with the 55-200mm vr, so far been using it to take sports and some wildlife pics. I intend to get the 35mm f1.8 prime lens for a department dept function next wednesday,read its good with low and available light for indoor shoots

So from my very short experience, i think the 55-200mm will increase your range a bit if you intend to get closer.It really depend what kind of pics you want to take.

Hi, welcome to CS :)
I suggest that you go for the AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX. Together with your 18-55mm, this is a good pair up. As for the AF-S 70-300mm is a good range to have but its way off you budget & I don't think the AF 70-300mm can focus on your D5K.
As for macro, use close up flilters. I use the 55-200mm lens for my macro shots. You can get your close up filters here ;)

Serious?? You do all those Kitties and Martian bugs with the 55-200mm?? Then I so want that lens liao! CONFIRM! :bsmilie:

Serious?? You do all those Kitties and Martian bugs with the 55-200mm?? Then I so want that lens liao! CONFIRM! :bsmilie:

wow, maybe i should start taking macro with my 55-200mm and i thought my kit 18-55mm was good enough ;)

Yup, that's right. With the raynox on the 55-200mm when I shoot bugs.
I used the 50mm 1.8 on the kitties too ;p

how about the 35mm? can it do decent macro shots? intend to buy one this weekend

LOL, you fooled me, I thought you used Made-in-Mars lens! So I didn't bother to ask...

50mm 1.8 eh?? Good prime!! Considering that but I might be swayed towards getting the 60mm Micro first as I really need that for other purposes.

how about the 35mm? can it do decent macro shots? intend to buy one this weekend
35mm? You'll need a close-up filter.
LOL, you fooled me, I thought you used Made-in-Mars lens! So I didn't bother to ask...

50mm 1.8 eh?? Good prime!! Considering that but I might be swayed towards getting the 60mm Micro first as I really need that for other purposes.
Get one that is to your needs & purpose ;)