D50

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
newbie here, would like to asksomething about Nikon D50... often heard the pros here say D50 has a factor of 1.5.... what actually is the factor ? and what does the factor do?

Cheem is b'cos you wanna understand it in a cheem way.

Basically all your lens mm x 1.5 = answer le.
OK?

Not cheem anymore right.

Can or not? Cannot post here again, and we will get cheem-er. ;p

:bsmilie: Let's not scare him...

yumyum, you are free to post... I'm learning too.

No lah, not scare-ing lah.

Just need to do this one step at a time. That link is too heavy mah. :)

yumyum said:
sob sob, where does the 1.5 comes from???

It crops the factor of view. So you wide angle, say maybe 103 degree hor becomes 68 degree... or other words 17mm becomes 25.5mm. (Just imagine that you have a 1.5 telecon in the front lor)

Where it comes from? It comes from the cause that your sensor is smaller than the usual 35mm FF requirement.

yumyum said:
so i guess the crop factor is actually the film/dslr of FOV= 1.5
The crop factor is more of a convenient multiplication factor for previous owners of 35mm SLRs, such that when you use a certain focal length on the reduced size sensor, the FOV is equivalent to using a lens which has a focal length which is multiplied by the crop factor.

Physically, there is no change in the actual focal length of the lens.

Alternatively, if you have not been familiar with the focal length of 35mm film cameras, it should not matter to you as you just need to remember a new set of numbers for Normal, Wide and Tele lenses.

For example, in 35mm photography as generally accepted, 50mm is normal, <35mm is wide and >85mm is tele.

For DX/APS format, you probably just need to remember that 35mm would be normal, 24mm would be wide and 50mm would be tele.

If you also noticed, those digital compact cameras has lenses like 4.5mm-13.5mm and the equivalent 35mm focal length would be rated as 35mm-105mm. This is due to the sensor size of these digital compacts being very small.

Am beginning to missed my T7's wide angle.

... But what the hack! SONY's noises sucks.

Once I've switched to NIKON, NEVER LOOKED BACK! :)

Andy Ang said:

It seems not many other manufacturers dare to say they make cameras for photographer and care for their reputation. Can you imagine the photographer's reputation when he is using a Sony DSLR in a professional assignment?

But it would be otherwise if he is using a Sony BetaCam for his filming endeavour. It's still far away for Sony to be able to catch up and announce that they too design cameras for serious photographers. Forgive me if I am wrong.

For marketing purpose, Sony incorporate the Carl Zeiss lens into all of their latest digital cameras. However the latest ultra compact T9 has yet to prove its worth.

I used to be super pro-Sony. But when it comes to photography, sorry loor... :confused:

Andy Ang said:
I used to be super pro-Sony. But when it comes to photography, sorry loor... :confused:

When it comes to optics development, Sony has a long way to go.
However I think it will match up with Canon and Nikon in terms of DSLR technical specs in no time. (Considering that it is the world largest sensor manufacturer, just look at how they affected global recalls for the other brands :bsmilie: )

I remember that there's one time whereby Sony (Clie) makes palmtop much sellable and powerful than the Palm. Even the Sony Ericsson has powerful functions, but the sales.... :nono:

Hoky said:
When it comes to optics development, Sony has a long way to go.
However I think it will match up with Canon and Nikon in terms of DSLR technical specs in no time. (Considering that it is the world largest sensor manufacturer, just look at how they affected global recalls for the other brands :bsmilie: )

Maybe they don't have to make their own optics. They can always use a 1/2" or 2/3" lens mount and use Fujinon video lenses? ;)

Andy Ang said:

can't compare the noise between a consumer P&S to DSLR, their are different class, the sensor size also very different :sweat:

forward said:
It seems not many other manufacturers dare to say they make cameras for photographer and care for their reputation. Can you imagine the photographer's reputation when he is using a Sony DSLR in a professional assignment?

But it would be otherwise if he is using a Sony BetaCam for his filming endeavour. It's still far away for Sony to be able to catch up and announce that they too design cameras for serious photographers. Forgive me if I am wrong.

For marketing purpose, Sony incorporate the Carl Zeiss lens into all of their latest digital cameras. However the latest ultra compact T9 has yet to prove its worth.
'
Sony has acquired Konica Minolta photography department. So, it should have good enough technology for their DSLR for serious photographer in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.