D50 vs D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmk

Nov 8, 2005
flickr.com
Has anyone tested these cameras side by side

1) as far as the bodies themselves go are there any significant differences (DOF preview, SD cards, commander mode flash and second wheel not withstanding. Is there a difference in image quality? Metering and AF performance?)

2) Can anyone post pics of taken with the 2 cameras using the same lens and similar settings?

3) How does the D50 perform in actual shooting conditions (as opposed to studio tests). How is its low light / flash assisted performance?

4) Why do both lack an ISO 100 setting?

Can anyone recommend one over the other (easy to say go for D70s, question is is it worth the extra $400 or would that money be better spent towards offsetting part of the cost of a good lens).

Thank you. This question has been bugging me for a couple of months now and most of the reviews on the net are completely useless in this regards.

nmk said:

1) as far as the bodies themselves go are there any significant differences (DOF preview, SD cards, commander mode flash and second wheel not withstanding. Is there a difference in image quality? Metering and AF performance?)

2) Can anyone post pics of taken with the 2 cameras using the same lens and similar settings?

3) How does the D50 perform in actual shooting conditions (as opposed to studio tests). How is its low light / flash assisted performance?

Can anyone recommend one over the other (easy to say go for D70s, question is is it worth the extra $400 or would that money be better spent towards offsetting part of the cost of a good lens).

Thank you. This question has been bugging me for a couple of months now and most of the reviews on the net are completely useless in this regards.

The present promo on the D50 may swing your decision... :devil:

nmk said:

1. Both D70s and D70 use CAM900 AF module, but I notice D50 is slightly faster than D70s, when tested with the same lens.

2. -

3. -

4. Why no ISO 100? I don't know. But there are alternative software to denoise the pic, so not a big issue to me.

5. Is it worth the extra $400? Well, what are your needs? Are those extra features in D70s critical to you? if not, else get D50.

BTW, I'm a D70 user and happy with it.

nmk said:
I've owned a D70 before and had 2 D50s.

nmk said:
The bodies' design differences you've already listed it out.

Image quality, yes, I can see noticeable differences in the NEF (raw) files when I opened a D50 and D70 file. Metering is the same, if you know how to meter, it works perfectly. AF performance is dependant on the Cam module. I don't see much difference between the two.

nmk said:
Posted up the shots here - http://forum.nikonuser.org/showthread.php?t=398 quite long ago, I've already removed the sample pics as it takes up a lot of space on my webserver.

nmk said:
Same as D70, both are on the same Cam900 module.

nmk said:
Long long time ago when the sensor was designed and used, the engineers did the calculations backwards and concluded that the sensor was capable with a base ISO of 200. The calculations are accurate thus the base value starts at 200 instead of 100. Seriously with that 1 stop however, useful or not, has been debated to death, if it bothers you that much (which I don't) then it's not for you.

nmk said:
If you have that $400 to spend, the D70S is a slightly more capable camera with the extra functions that are lacking on the D50 that I would find useful (since I use them often). As for image quality, I note that D70S gives me more pleasing images.

nmk said:
Don't you see the trend?

Last time people used to ASA100 Film. When the technology allowed for better grain in ASA200, they introduce ASA200 Film for better indoor picture. Afterthat ASA400 Film come out.

This also true for sensor technology (CCD or CMOS) for digital camera.
Don't be surprise if in the few years later there are ASA400-ASA6400 dSLR :) .

Regards,
Arto.

espn said:
Image quality, yes, I can see noticeable differences in the NEF (raw) files when I opened a D50 and D70 file. Metering is the same, if you know how to meter, it works perfectly. AF performance is dependant on the Cam module. I don't see much difference between the two.
'noticeable difference' meaning?? D70s NEF shows better?? or the other way round??

runes said:
'noticeable difference' meaning?? D70s NEF shows better?? or the other way round??
Colours, sharpness, dynamic range also quite different. The D70 also has a larger DR than the D50.

Yep, I find the D70 outperforming the D50 in the output for NEF. D50's exposure seems to be more spot on however, the -0.3 standard for Nikon SLRs seem to have dissappeared in D50 without blowing the highlights.

espn said:
If you have that $400 to spend, the D70S is a slightly more capable camera with the extra functions that are lacking on the D50 that I would find useful (since I use them often). As for image quality, I note that D70S gives me more pleasing images.

You are right. The DOF might be useful to those who have worked with it previously and know how to use it properly. Most of my SLR work has been done on a FM10 and a pretty slow lens. When I have stepped down and used the DOF preview, the whole thing just goes dark and I am hardly able to see anything.

I dont know if I am doing something wrong or that I have not used the right cameras till now.

espn said:

Could you post any of the pics with these differences:
What are the differences (noise or sharpness issues)?
Is the D70s better or the other way round?

nmk said:
You are right. The DOF might be useful to those who have worked with it previously and know how to use it properly. Most of my SLR work has been done on a FM10 and a pretty slow lens. When I have stepped down and used the DOF preview, the whole thing just goes dark and I am hardly able to see anything.

I dont know if I am doing something wrong or that I have not used the right cameras till now.
When you release the DOF preview button according to a professional photographer (read: Ian) is that similar to all D/SLRs, the aperture switch will be allowed to spring to the set aperture and what you see is effectively the effect of the aperture.

Another reason might be the VF was not designed to be very bright so stepping down further made it darker and hard to see.

espn said:
When you release the DOF preview button according to a professional photographer (read: Ian) is that similar to all D/SLRs, the aperture switch will be allowed to spring to the set aperture and what you see is effectively the effect of the aperture.

Hi ESPN:

I am a little unclear, are you supposed to see the effect of the reduced aperture when you press the DOF button and then release or are you supposed to press and hold it down to see what happens.

I have tried both the FM10 and the Konica Minolta 5D, but all I see is a dark viewfinder with not much visible. Could the issue be that I tried both indoors. Are DOF previews more effective outdoors (more light?).

nmk said:
Hi ESPN:

I am a little unclear, are you supposed to see the effect of the reduced aperture when you press the DOF button and then release or are you supposed to press and hold it down to see what happens.

I have tried both the FM10 and the Konica Minolta 5D, but all I see is a dark viewfinder with not much visible. Could the issue be that I tried both indoors. Are DOF previews more effective outdoors (more light?).
My bad, yes, it reduces the aperture when you press and hold the DOF preview button.

When the aperture ring is stepped down on the DOF preview button's depression, the amount of light that actually enters the len is shown in the VF, if it's dark, this is how the image will turn out if you release the shutter.

i had a similar thread a few weeks ago. go look it up.
anyway visit www.imaging-resource.com
they have done up a pretty intensive report on the image quality of the D50 vs D70s.
both has its pros and cons. one is sharp and slightly noiser. the other is slightly less sharp but less noisy as well. Dynamic range is debatable. Almost no difference if u ask me. I have seen alot of sample pictures from dpreview.com. Please note although what many people say, D50 uses a slightly different CCD from D70s.

As you may have guessed, yes i bought the D50 in the end.

I bougght the D50 kit earlier today. Now trying to swap the lens with a 18-70 lens (with a top up from me).

I got a good offer and bought the kit at Cathay.

I am still wondering if I should buy the 55-200 lens for $200. Its supposed to be a pretty good lens and it is reasonably priced, but it cannot be used with any film bodies.

Any other telephoto lens recommendations? I am going through the other posts but if any of you come across anything, I would really appreciate the heads up.

Thank you so much.

Krishna

nmk said:
I bougght the D50 kit earlier today. Now trying to swap the lens with a 18-70 lens (with a top up from me).

I got a good offer and bought the kit at Cathay.

I am still wondering if I should buy the 55-200 lens for $200. Its supposed to be a pretty good lens and it is reasonably priced, but it cannot be used with any film bodies.

Any other telephoto lens recommendations? I am going through the other posts but if any of you come across anything, I would really appreciate the heads up.

Thank you so much.

Krishna

18-200mm VR :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.