D50 users: Change your kit lens to AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi to all D50 users.... well, all Nikon user lah....

How many of you will buy a AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G to replace AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED ?

If yes, why?
If No, why?
Other comments?

hey... are u the one?

at one stage u're asking members of the forum to gif u job lobang, right?
now u got a job and got $$ to spend on cameras? :bsmilie:

good for u la!! glad u got a job...

is the AFS18-55 that limiting, that lousy? a AFS18-70 will improve ur photography?
if so, u should jus jump straight down to AFS17-55 f2.8! BUY BUY BUY!!!

espn said:
Just do it :thumbsup:

:eek: Why? Cannot every time BBB lah...... $$$:bheart:

Cheesecake said:
hey... are u the one?

at one stage u're asking members of the forum to gif u job lobang, right?
now u got a job and got $$ to spend on cameras? :bsmilie:

good for u la!! glad u got a job...

is the AFS18-55 that limiting, that lousy? a AFS18-70 will improve ur photography?
if so, u should jus jump straight down to AFS17-55 f2.8! BUY BUY BUY!!!

:sweat: heh heh.... I'm the one....

Yeah... found a job.... no lah.... the 18-55mm is not limiting me.... was just wondering who will/has change it and why lor?

I was surfing the forum, saw people selling their kit lens, buying 18-70mm... wondering why...

kevyan said:
:sweat: heh heh.... I'm the one....

Yeah... found a job.... no lah.... the 18-55mm is not limiting me.... was just wondering who will/has change it and why lor?

I was surfing the forum, saw people selling their kit lens, buying 18-70mm... wondering why...

if got $$, save up. then get the really good lens! hehehe

good to know u've landed a job now. keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

kevyan said:

*couldn't resist...*

why dun u flip the question ard and ask why are there people selling the 18-70? :think:

nightwolf75 said:
*couldn't resist...*

why dun u flip the question ard and ask why are there people selling the 18-70? :think:

:think: you got a point there..... wise.....

Haha... maybe I should start another thread asking that question.... :sweat:

kevyan said:

How many of you will buy a AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G to replace AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED ?

If yes, why?
If No, why?
Other comments?

If you have not already done so, and assuming you still need a budget walkaround lens, get the new 18-200mm VR (DX). Off course, there're many lenses that top that but so is the price and in the real world, we all have a budget. So...

Enjoy your new DSLR.

kevyan said:

If yes, why?
If No, why?
Other comments?

I will buy the 18-70 if i am a D50 user.

It has longer tele end and has a larger maximum aperture (70mm vs 55mm and f4.5 vs f5.6)
I am very sure 18-70 is sharper than 18-55 :thumbsup:

I personally think there is very little downside in getting a 2nd hand 18-70mm to go with your D50. It is reasonable cheap for a good quality kit lens plus it's popular enough for you to offload if you so decide to "upgrade" later

nightwolf75 said:
*couldn't resist...*

Because these people bought D70S with this kit lense and BBB better lenses like 15-55mm F2.8, 28-75mm F2.8, especially at the released of 18-200VR, I saw a rush of selling the 18-70mm.

There is new lense market and it stir up the B&S market loh.

poh6702 said:
Because these people bought D70S with this kit lense and BBB better lenses like 15-55mm F2.8, 28-75mm F2.8, especially at the released of 18-200VR, I saw a rush of selling the 18-70mm.

There is new lense market and it stir up the B&S market loh.

sigh... dats not my point of my musing...

so, if someone comes out with the 10-300mm/f1.0 VR IS ED IF, will we see another round of mass selling of the 18-200 VR?

the point of my musing (and to repeat wat a wise CSer once posted many moons ago) - most, if not all lenses, have capabilities exceeding dat of the user. to put it even plainer, will changing the kit lens of the d50 to the kit lens of d70/70s make one a better photographer? think abt this, and mebbe it will put a pause to all madness/rush of upgrading lenses and BBB...

*just the musing of a very cranky old man...*

nightwolf75 said:
sigh... dats not my point of my musing...

so, if someone comes out with the 10-300mm/f1.0 VR IS ED IF, will we see another round of mass selling of the 18-200 VR?

the point of my musing (and to repeat wat a wise CSer once posted many moons ago) - most, if not all lenses, have capabilities exceeding dat of the user. to put it even plainer, will changing the kit lens of the d50 to the kit lens of d70/70s make one a better photographer? think abt this, and mebbe it will put a pause to all madness/rush of upgrading lenses and BBB...

*just the musing of a very cranky old man...*

There won't be such a lens, if there is its definitely not the 18-200 replacement.

To a certain extend better lens takes better pix (less the subject composition). We talk about hardware, we measure them with their output. I dunno why this kinda of thread tend attracts high sounding comments like its the photographer that counts etc and deemed as wise comment. I salute lor. A lens is less sharp, its less sharp. You can't make the lens takes sharper pix with any skill you have without post processing.

I hate to concur with espn but if it makes you happy, just buy lor.

litefoot said:
There won't be such a lens, if there is its definitely not the 18-200 replacement.

To a certain extend better lens takes better pix (less the subject composition). We talk about hardware, we measure them with their output. I dunno why this kinda of thread tend attracts high sounding comments like its the photographer that counts etc and deemed as wise comment. I salute lor. A lens is less sharp, its less sharp. You can't make the lens takes sharper pix with any skill you have without post processing.

I hate to concur with espn but if it makes you happy, just buy lor.

hey, to each his/her/its own. whichever gets one's mojo going, so be it.

just to clarify (for clarification's sake) - never did i say in any way the lens (and hence, equipment) supercedes the photographer (or cameraman, whichever way one likes to see himself/herself/itself). nor, "its the man/women/it behind the camera dat matters". my point is dat not all people who calls themselves photographers know why (if ever) they wanna upgrade everytime a new lens or body comes along. does buying dat next lens or body promises one photographic nirvana?

again, to repeat myself b4 this degenrates into another senseless flamewar - to each his/her/its own, whichever dat gets ur mojo flowing.

me? i'm going off to play with my baby now... :lovegrin:

nightwolf75 said:
hey, to each his/her/its own. whichever gets one's mojo going, so be it.

just to clarify (for clarification's sake) - never did i say in any way the lens (and hence, equipment) supercedes the photographer (or cameraman, whichever way one likes to see himself/herself/itself). nor, "its the man/women/it behind the camera dat matters". my point is dat not all people who calls themselves photographers know why (if ever) they wanna upgrade everytime a new lens or body comes along. does buying dat next lens or body promises one photographic nirvana?

again, to repeat myself b4 this degenrates into another senseless flamewar - to each his/her/its own, whichever dat gets ur mojo flowing.

me? i'm going off to play with my baby now... :lovegrin:
Cool down... smelling smoke...
and also there is rain now.

;p eh.... I merely just wanted to find out why would anyone want to change their D50 kit lens and buy a 18-70mm....

Don't fight....don't fight.... :sweat:

kevyan said:
;p eh.... I merely just wanted to find out why would anyone want to change their D50 kit lens and buy a 18-70mm....

Don't fight....don't fight.... :sweat:
a 18-200 option will be better.
to make it feels like yr canon S2 IS... :devil:

I posted an ad to sell off the D50 kit lens a couple of days before I even get my D50. At the same time reserved a D70 kit lens... Dun really have a chance to test out the D50 kit lens as a result, but the plasticky feel really turns me off...

Anyway, I switched mainly cos of the bigger range, low top-up price, tested and proven reviews and of cos a more solid feel.
Made the 'mistake' of getting the 24-120 vr just a couple of weeks after though (cos wanted a walkaround lens for honeymoon).

Still wondering if I should sell both of them off and get the new 18-200 or just save up for the 17-55. Whatsoever, I ain't much of a serious photographer, and so far the 24-120 is serving me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.