D50 or D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiv

Mar 20, 2005
i dont see any threads on this subject. Maybe its because these 2 cameras are in 2 different classes. well the dilemma is this, i am upgrading from a panasonic fz-5 to a dslr but i am torn between these 2 cameras.

what i have gathered is that D70s has better functions, better lens than D50. However D50 has less noise at high ISO than D70s. But D50 doesnt have DOF preview, lcd lamp, lcd cover. D70s is more expensive. D50 has slower shooting speed.

I could go on forever, but i need a new camera soon and i dont want to wait till D50s and D70x comes out.

Can someone help me to make a decision?

You can do a comparison at dpreview.

Personally, I chose the D50 cause it's lighter than the D70. But that's a personal preference. I don't find that D50 is slow in focusing or shotting, just that in continuous mode, its 2.5fps, which is good enough for me. Of course, the D50 uses SD card, which means I had to change my cards, but nowadays the cards are more affordable. Why don't you go down to CP or the other camera shop and ask to try out both, see which one you prefer. Usually, its more of a personal choice.

Both D70s and D50 uses Nikon lenses, so are compatible and exchangeable. Unless you are just talking about the kit lenses. I find the 17-55mm lenses kit lens for the D50 good enough for my use in travel, child photography.

Have not used the D70s, so can't compare.

Afterall, the camera is but a tool for the photographer.

Just moho...;p

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah i have tried both cameras, personally i find the D50 nicer to hold. But i have heard that it tends to overexpose. Have u experienced any problems regarding that? The main selling point for me is that its cheaper and the noise at 1600 is almost non existant. But i heard from my pro friend that the lens is crap, and i dont think i can buy the body alone. SD card is a plus for me as i already have one.

D70s has more functions but im not sure if i'll be using them at all. I'm not sure if the extra $400 is worth it. I'm not sure how useful DOF preview and mirror lockup is.

Each has its pros and cons, and it's all up to the buyer to decide which one to get.
If I haven't already own a D70S I would still choose the D70S kit over the the D50 kit.
My main reasons:
1. Better kit lens. Has a higher resale value too if you plan to sell it later.
2. I like having 2 command dials to control aperture and shutter speed.
3. Size, as I have long fingers.
4. LCD protector.
5. The 3 CF cards that I already have will be fully utilized.
6. The option to use a remote cord.
7. Viewfinder gridlines.
8. Backlit LCD.

The others are not that important to me.
I don't use the DOF preview as it's really hard to see through that small and dim viewfinder.
At least to me it is.

for me.. d70s and d50, i would go for d70s, coz of the functions... and erm.. d50. waaay too small and light for me, may ended up throwing the cam at my sofa and didnt even realise it.. :bsmilie: *psst. i was exergerating... spelling wrong i know!!!!*

yeah the extra functions of the D70s are great.. but how is the noise level at ISO 1600? One of the main reasons why im getting a dslr is because of the sensitivity.. i have seen samples and D50 wins the D70s in that aspect.

btw how impt is mirror lockup? will the mirror really slap so violently?

reiv said:
i dont see any threads on this subject. Maybe its because these 2 cameras are in 2 different classes. well the dilemma is this, i am upgrading from a panasonic fz-5 to a dslr but i am torn between these 2 cameras.

what i have gathered is that D70s has better functions, better lens than D50. However D50 has less noise at high ISO than D70s. But D50 doesnt have DOF preview, lcd lamp, lcd cover. D70s is more expensive. D50 has slower shooting speed.

I could go on forever, but i need a new camera soon and i dont want to wait till D50s and D70x comes out.

What will you shoot? If its just family shots, D50 is more than enough.

Kit lens not good? Sell it off and get the D70's kit lens. With the extra $$ you saved, can get an external flash. Maybe the SB-600 would do nicely. And still got enough to get extra SD cards...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

reiv said:

Yeah i have tried both cameras, personally i find the D50 nicer to hold. But i have heard that it tends to overexpose. Have u experienced any problems regarding that? The main selling point for me is that its cheaper and the noise at 1600 is almost non existant. But i heard from my pro friend that the lens is crap, and i dont think i can buy the body alone. SD card is a plus for me as i already have one.

D70s has more functions but im not sure if i'll be using them at all. I'm not sure if the extra $400 is worth it. I'm not sure how useful DOF preview and mirror lockup is.

Buy D50 w/o kit len and save the $400 to buy 18-70 kit len and SB600 flash.

Haze said:
Buy D50 w/o kit len and save the $400 to buy 18-70 kit len and SB600 flash.

as of now, there's still no offering by nikon sg of a d50 body only set for sale. unless u're buying 2nd-hand, the d50 sold in singapore are packaged with the kit lens.

reiv said:

Yeah, i like the feel of the D50. I don't need super heavy equipment to take my photographs. I am quite big size and with long fingers too, but the D50 fits nicely. backlit LCDs, no need for that, as I have always carried a small torchlight since the first SLR I own. Quite useful for other uses too...;)

No, I don't find that the D50 overexpose. It's a DSLR, so you can adjust the settings and control your exposure. The 18-55 kit lens works fine for me at the equivalent of 28-82.5mm lens. I mainly use the D50 for my travel photography and family shots. I had used the Nikon F65 for quite some time now, and I find the range sufficient for my use. Have the 70-300mm lens (on the d50 is 105 - 450mm), but mostly I still use the 28-82.5mm range. Since my first SLR, I have learnt to take care of the equipment with careful handling. I think this still applies, even if you have plenty of gaffer tapes and protection covers.

Your pro friend could be more experienced and might need more sophisticated equipments for his professional work. It would still depend on what you want to shoot usually though, not your pro friend's needs.

DOF preview is quite useful, when I was using the SLR F65 to check Depth of field. However, for the D50, I can view my photos after shooting and adjust settings accordingly. So far, i am quite ok with not having it on the D50. Usually, I would think first, do my settings and compose then take the shot.

reiv said:

Welcome abroad the Vortex!

Since the lens is interchangable, honestly, why bother with what lens they are giving away? No manufacturer in their sane mind would price a camera so low and give away a top of the line ED + IF + VR + Constant Aperture lens. As Nightwolf told me "18-55 is good for starters" and it is, since with 1.5 FOV, u have more or less an effective range of 27-82.5mm, wide-angle to med-telephoto. The optics? Lets just say that there is no instant sharpness with SLRs even on fully automatic modes so, some post-processing would be needed. :D

The D70s gives u more leeway to learn, from the basics right up to post-processing. The D50 is similar, with a smaller body and slightly sharper pictures straight outta the cam. Both are almost similiar to each other in most aspect.

Now that's left is ur budget which means u have to factor in cost not only for the body but for stuff like lens, external flash, spare batteries & so on. :D

reiv said:

u can look for 2nd D70/D70s and wait for new 18-200VR lens...
should be a veri gd combo.

Thanks for all your replies..

The thing is, i have been doing all sorts of photography, ranging from events, street, sports and even macro. Check out my website, www.reivad.com to see my gallery. So i'm not sure if the inability to lock up the mirror will affect my long exposures or macro shots.

The 18-55mm lens will severely limit my shooting abilities for now. However i am either eyeing the 55-200mm or 70-300mm lens. And i know no one in their right mind would buy the D50 kit lens, so im pretty much stuck with it.

Btw, jamestan, i recognize you from my alma mater, St. Hilda's Sec. Heh are you still a teacher there?

reiv said:

The thing is, i have been doing all sorts of photography, ranging from events, street, sports and even macro. Check out my website, www.reivad.com to see my gallery. So i'm not sure if the inability to lock up the mirror will affect my long exposures or macro shots.

The 18-55mm lens will severely limit my shooting abilities for now. However i am either eyeing the 55-200mm or 70-300mm lens. And i know no one in their right mind would buy the D50 kit lens, so im pretty much stuck with it.

Btw, jamestan, i recognize you from my alma mater, St. Hilda's Sec. Heh are you still a teacher there?
wait for 18-200VR lens...

jnet6 said:
wait for 18-200VR lens...
haha im still army boy. already saved up damn hard for a new camera. dont think i can spend another 1000+ bucks so soon.

reiv said:
haha im still army boy. already saved up damn hard for a new camera. dont think i can spend another 1000+ bucks so soon.
one time hard pain no regret, better then 3 times...
*buy 3 type of lens(diff range)....

jnet6 said:
one time hard pain no regret, better then 3 times...
*buy 3 type of lens(diff range)....
good point, but i need to get the body first! and i cant decide!

reiv said:
good point, but i need to get the body first! and i cant decide!
i've got a set of D70 body to let go, if u dun mind to search for my thread in B/S...
OT here liao.

D70 will serve u better.

reiv said:

well, if u're not sure, chances are u're not using it at the moment - ie. even if the d50 has MLU, u won't be using it. so, no sweat.

hmm... i recalled similar arguments made abt the 18-70 kit lens too... ended up its one of the more popular purchases among the budget lenses on Buy/Sell. ;)

actually, u'll be surprised how many people will buy the 18-55. i mean how many AF-s ED lenses out there dat are going for under $200? while it might be limiting cos of ur shooting styles, there are others who likes a compact, light-weight and fast focusing lens for family/outing/travel shooting.

the thing is, im using a fz-5 now, so no mirror slapping about. so im not sure if i'll have to use it when i get a dslr.

D70s looks like a better buy.. but... noise..... i've seen the sample pics and the noise is abt the same as my fz-5 at iso 400. D50 looks like my fz-5's pictures at iso 200.

any more strong arguments?

Status
Not open for further replies.