D50 or D40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexking

Aug 12, 2005
Intend to get my first DSLR.. should I go for the D50 or D40 in term of function and image quality etc.. sorry if this thread had been discussed as I am a newbies in DSLR.:)

they are on par in terms of image quality if you shoot raw, if you shoot in jpg, d40 produce nicer jpg (d50 produce nice as well, but not as nice as d40). function wise, i think they are more or less the same, with newer in-camera processing for d40.

however, the d50 can support more lenses compared to a d40. if you have old nikon af lenses, go for the d50, if not go for d40, but manual mode for the lenses.

D50! :d

If budget constraint, can set a D70s (Still with warranty) from the B&S for about the same price of a new D40. Or is can squeeze abit more, do consider the D80 (New or 2nd hand)too. ;p

If budget constraint, can set a D70s (Still with warranty) from the B&S for about the same price of a new D40. Or is can squeeze abit more, do consider the D80 (New or 2nd hand)too. ;p

if can do cinsider d200 or d2xs...;p

There are several reviews that compares the features of D40 vs D50/D80. Take a look and then decide based on your needs. Only you know what is more important for you.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d40-review/index.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

Compared to the D50, D40 is stronger in some areas (larger higher-res LCD, customisable auto-ISO, ISO 3200, smaller/lighter, better JPG quality, better continuous mode, etc) but trade-off in others (No 2nd status LCD, AF only with AF-S/AF-I lens, no bracketing, 3-area AF, etc). The biggest difference to many people is support of AF for only the newer AF-S/AF-I lenses. If you have Nikkor old lenses you want to use in AF mode, or think you will build up a big lens collection, I'd say the D40 is not for you. If this is not the case, then D40 is a great choice.

BTW, I bought a D40 ;)

There are several reviews that compares the features of D40 vs D50/D80. Take a look and then decide based on your needs. Only you know what is more important for you.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d40-review/index.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

Compared to the D50, D40 is stronger in some areas (larger higher-res LCD, customisable auto-ISO, ISO 3200, smaller/lighter, better JPG quality, better continuous mode, etc) but trade-off in others (No 2nd status LCD, AF only with AF-S/AF-I lens, no bracketing, 3-area AF, etc). The biggest difference to many people is support of AF for only the newer AF-S/AF-I lenses. If you have Nikkor old lenses you want to use in AF mode, or think you will build up a big lens collection, I'd say the D40 is not for you. If this is not the case, then D40 is a great choice.

BTW, I bought a D40 ;)

this is well worth said .. summarise the d40 very well. i wanted to get the d40, but because of it only accepts newer AF lenses , i chose d50 instead as i have some old nikon lenses from my RIP s1pro

Thanks all for yr advise.. I think likely will go for D40 as I don't own any nikon lens and both are about the same spec. Just got some quota from MS colour & John3:16 for D40 .. SG950 with 1GB SD , carry bag and tripod. Is it a good deal ? Txs:D

Thanks all for yr advise.. I think likely will go for D40 as I don't own any nikon lens and both are about the same spec. Just got some quota from MS colour & John3:16 for D40 .. SG950 with 1GB SD , carry bag and tripod. Is it a good deal ? Txs:D

err many shops selling around this price ahaha and same combo deal. dont get from HN or Courts or BIG as their prices are higher a tad...

actually.. not much difference.. can try pm one of our forumers here, his nick something Oracle, has local warranty and way cheaper .. last i heard someone bought from him at 860 - 890 +++

Do you need all the other extras (i.e. 1GB SD , carry bag and tripod)?

rarely we need it :) but if u just really started, no bag, tripod, it'll be useful :)

btw, sd card 1gb so freaking cheap now.. $14 can get for 1gb ... 50X 1gb can get $18.. lolz

You should also give some thought to the kind of photos you like to shoot, whether you are likely to need to get a few more lenses. Like I said, if you end up needing to buy a few more lenses, then D40 may not be a good choice because you end up having fewer (and more costly) compatible lenses. If you think the 18-55mm kit lens plus maybe just one more like the 55-200mm is all you need, then the D40 suits you.

Have fun!

How much is it for a new D70s with kit lens from B&S? btw, B&S stands for?

How much is it for a new D70s with kit lens from B&S? btw, B&S stands for?

Nikon D70s (body only) package - ($930~$1370), latest $930 (TK, Feb07 - STTNP) free 1G CF card *Updated 03/02*
Nikon D70s kit (18-70mm) package - ($1330~$1610), latest $1330 (TK, Feb07, STTNP) 2GB CF card *Updated 03/02*

You can call the following shops to check pricings and availability :

AP - Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6336 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-F - Alan Photo, #05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6883 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
CP - Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M - Cathay Photo, #02-215/216 Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Tel: 6339 6188, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
John - John 3:16, #05-46 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: richardgan@pacific.net.sg
Lord's - Lord's Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6235 4605, e-mail: lordscom@singnet.com.sg
MS - MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg, web e-quote
TCW - The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street, #01-31, Tel: 6336 1956 / 6336 7808, e-mail: tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK - T K Foto Technic, 100 Beach Rd, #02-45 Shaw Towers, Tel: 6292 4533, e-mail: sales@tkfoto.com.sg

Info can be found and have been obtained from here.

Heard recently from another thread that only TK has stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.