D50 dull pictures question


Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

New Member
Jun 23, 2003
332
0
0
Visit site
#1
Hi, I just bought a D50 not long and I got a question about the dull colours of the camera. I took a picture of the sky outside my flat this morning, and on the camera LCD the colors look nice. brilliant blue sky. But when I view it on my PC monitor, it looks very dull.



My first thought was that maybe my monitor wasn't color calibrated so I used adobe gamma to calibrate. It still looked dull. Anyone can help? Why does it look ok on the camera monitor but not the PC monitor?
 

n0d3

New Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
0
#4
Extracted from the image:

f/14
1/2000 sec
Spot metering
Exposure Compensation: None

I think its the metering that caused your photo to be underexposed, spot metering is used in very special circumstances. It would be better if you switched it to evaluative/matrix or something like that.
 

red_ryder

New Member
Jun 23, 2003
332
0
0
Visit site
#5
File: - C:\Documents and Settings\Alfred\My Documents\My Pictures\t\DSC_3496.JPG

Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D50
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Ver.1.00
DateTime - 2005:09:17 12:20:52
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 216
ExposureTime - 1/2000 seconds
FNumber - 14.00
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2005:09:17 12:20:52
DateTimeDigitized - 2005:09:17 12:20:52
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 4 (bits/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 4.00
MeteringMode - Spot
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 31.00 mm
UserComment -
SubsecTime - 0
SubsecTimeOriginal - 0
SubsecTimeDigitized - 0
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3008
ExifImageHeight - 2000
InteroperabilityOffset - 27778
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 46 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - Low gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Data version - 0210 (808595760)
ISO Setting - 800
Image Quality - FINE
White Balance - AUTO
Image Sharpening - AUTO
Focus Mode - AF-A
Flash Setting - NORMAL
Flash Mode -
White Balance Adjustment -
Exposure Adjustment - 
Flash Compensation - 
ISO 2 - 
Tone Compensation - AUTO
Lens type - AF
Lens - ~
Flash Used - Not fired
AF Focus Position - Center
Bracketing -
Color Mode - MODE1a
Light Type - NATURAL
Hue Adjustment -
Noise Reduction - OFF
Total pictures - î
Optimization - CUSTOM
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#6
n0d3 said:
Extracted from the image:

f/14
1/2000 sec
Spot metering
Exposure Compensation: None

I think its the metering that caused your photo to be underexposed, spot metering is used in very special circumstances. It would be better if you switched it to evaluative/matrix or something like that.
In this case the white cloud be came 18% gray, so that how it is underexpose.
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#7
catchlights said:
Do not rely on LCD preview, learn to judge the exposure by reading the histogram.
that's right, and different situations will give different histograms, one that peaks in the middle isn't always the 'right' exposure :)
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#8
red_ryder said:
File: - C:\Documents and Settings\Alfred\My Documents\My Pictures\t\DSC_3496.JPG

Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D50
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Ver.1.00
DateTime - 2005:09:17 12:20:52
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 216
ExposureTime - 1/2000 seconds
FNumber - 14.00
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2005:09:17 12:20:52
DateTimeDigitized - 2005:09:17 12:20:52
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 4 (bits/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 4.00
MeteringMode - Spot
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 31.00 mm
UserComment -
SubsecTime - 0
SubsecTimeOriginal - 0
SubsecTimeDigitized - 0
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3008
ExifImageHeight - 2000
InteroperabilityOffset - 27778
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 46 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - Low gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Data version - 0210 (808595760)
ISO Setting - 800
Image Quality - FINE
White Balance - AUTO
Image Sharpening - AUTO
Focus Mode - AF-A
Flash Setting - NORMAL
Flash Mode -
White Balance Adjustment -
Exposure Adjustment - 
Flash Compensation - 
ISO 2 - 
Tone Compensation - AUTO
Lens type - AF
Lens - ~
Flash Used - Not fired
AF Focus Position - Center
Bracketing -
Color Mode - MODE1a
Light Type - NATURAL
Hue Adjustment -
Noise Reduction - OFF
Total pictures - î
Optimization - CUSTOM

wow ... can just post the key info next time :sweat:
 

n0d3

New Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
0
#9
catchlights said:
In this case the white cloud be came 18% gray, so that how it is underexpose.
Ahhh... :think:
 

red_ryder

New Member
Jun 23, 2003
332
0
0
Visit site
#10
eikin said:
wow ... can just post the key info next time :sweat:
oops sorry, didn't which was key info. ;p

So the problem is spot metering? Thanks guys!
 

red_ryder

New Member
Jun 23, 2003
332
0
0
Visit site
#13
catchlights said:
No, the problem is not spot metering, the problem is you don't know how to take mater reading.

In a simple term: you can find a place that you want to expose as 18% (mid tone gray) take the reading of that place and make an expose.

for this case, how about taking a spot metering off the red roof of the terrace house?

The problem is that I didn't know spot metering was on. Thoguht it was matrix or centre weighted. Didn't check before shooting. I know how to use spot metering, but thanks for the advice anyway. :)
 

ben77

New Member
Sep 14, 2005
59
0
0
#14
hm.. any site to teach how to read histogram ??
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom