D50, D70s or EOS350D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurzsan_07

Nov 13, 2005
Hi guys....i'm new here! Cool forum!!
Anyway, i've decided to buy my very FIRST dslr camera. But now, I'm stuck between the three above mentioned ones....
i'm not planning to buy any lens first. Gonna use the kit lens for a couple months first while saving up for new lens and stuffs...
So which of the camera will u guys recommend?

Tanks in adv!!

What will you use the DSLR for? Landscape or Portait or Macro or Streets or Nature or?
Understand what you need or want it for will help you choose. For what you know, you might not even need a DSLR.

Just my 2 cents.;p

Anyone of them. All are capable cameras.
It is you who will be shooting. :bsmilie:

They're all great cameras so which one you end up buying doesn't really matter. I think the D50's metering system is easier to master for newbies. The 18-70 kit lens is probably the best but it can't go as closeup as the 18-55.

:) considering price, kit lens...D70s seems to be a bteer buy to me.But if you wanna come Canon lagi better.
anyway, if you decided to go for the D70s, tahan a while more and wait for the D200 to come out..coz the price of the D70s might drop.

JediForce4ever said:
:) considering price, kit lens...D70s seems to be a bteer buy to me.But if you wanna come Canon lagi better.
anyway, if you decided to go for the D70s, tahan a while more and wait for the D200 to come out..coz the price of the D70s might drop.
In what part is it "lagi better" ? :rolleyes:

And no, the price will not drop, not when the D70s is 1/2 the price of D200 expected price. They are in two separate market.

20D said:
What will you use the DSLR for? Landscape or Portait or Macro or Streets or Nature or?
Understand what you need or want it for will help you choose. For what you know, you might not even need a DSLR.

Just my 2 cents.;p

Also depends on your budget and needs. Can go for a comparison of the cameras at Dpreview.com for the capabilities and features. They have good review on the cameras. Everyone's needs & preference is different, Personally, I am using the D50 because I like the lighter weight and feel. Though I did not try the canon systems, cause I had been using Nikon and had lenses to go with the D50...But that's a personal preference....;)

based on the 3 i would say D70s. guys will probably find the 350D a little small to hold.

D50? :think: SD card leh... ;p

Watcher said:
In what part is it "lagi better" ? :rolleyes:

The part where it gets replaced in one year's time, so that you can 'upgrade' to a 'new' body every year? :bsmilie:

350 = too small to hold....:)
if its ur first dslr..., get d50...= )...it rocks..
d70...more for pros

This kind of post will trigger war . ;)

D70s - ergonomics and feel
D50 - entry level DSLR
350D - picture quality

it's an endless debate..

All 3 are great entry level DSLRs. I own a 350D and quite a few of my friends use the D70(which I have tried).

Faced the same dilemma as you, the D70/D70s has great feel (feel great holding it in one hand), but is heavier and bulkier, D70/D70s has lesser pixels (impotant if you are a megapixel freak), the list goes one. There will be endless comparisons on which is better(D50 or D70 or 350D), they are both very close with each having certain things that the other one does not.

Don't worry about the size of the 350D, I'm a huge guy with large hands and I DO appreciate the small size and weight of the body especially when walking about.

If size(lack of) is the issue, the good thing about the 350D is you can always get the battery grip for $169 (when you buy together with the camera). Some people swear by it. I own one and I use it about 50% of the time. It's great. Love the vertical controls, the great grip it provides for vertical shooting, the ability to add an extra battery and oh yeah, a space to rest your pinky on. :D (It does add considerable weight though - not surprising since the body is so light to start with).

They are very close, and ultimately, the choice is yours. Tough huh! As some others have mentioned, dpreview is a good resource to go to for information on the cameras.

Good luck!

If (small) size is an issue, do factor in the vertical grip for the price of 350D. It'll resolve the issue. I have large hands, and absolutely no problems with 350D with grip. In fact, I appreciate a grip for most cameras, apart from those which have built in portrait grips. So if size is an issue, perhaps availability of grips should be considered as well.

i already own from my previous canon SLR camera 2 lenses
28-80 mm and 75-300 mm both are EF lenses both can be used on 350D :)

i would like to buy D70 but my old lenses will go waste, or should i forget abt the D70 and get
350D?

thanks

It's funny how a camera body can determine which camp you go to. :)

Look at the entire glass collection, flash system and the expandibility of the system you're buying, camera body is only so that important, the entire system is more crucial.

xpgel said:
i already own from my previous canon SLR camera 500QDN 2 lenses
28-80 mm
75-300 mm both are EF lenses both can be used on 350D :)

i would like to buy D70 but my old lenses will go waste, or should i forget abt the D70 and get
350D?

thanks

If you are really bent on getting the D70, yes, sell them, but if you can't bear the costs and would like to save some money on lenses, you can get the 350D instead.

I wanna ask u guys, after buying a DSLR, wat are the other essentials accessories? Dry box etc? Also, is lens hood a must as i'll be taking pics outdoors on a sunny day?

Lurzsan_07 said:
I wanna ask u guys, after buying a DSLR, wat are the other essentials accessories? Dry box etc? Also, is lens hood a must as i'll be taking pics outdoors on a sunny day?
Cabinets/dry boxes are a must for cameras... get one.

Every glass has it's own hood... get it if you can, it doesn't hurt to use one.

Lurzsan_07 said:

be ready to bleed real badly after the "injury"... n trust me. the bleeding DUN STOP! lol! every other thing in the shop just turns instantenously ESSENTIAL... :p

lenses( prices ranging from $100++ to $ a few thousand.. depends on what u intend to shoot...), memory cards (the worse thing to happen to u during a shoot is to run out of memory... :p), like espn said, dry cabinet... maintenance tools like air brush, camera bag, tripods (i suggest something between $150 - $250++ if you are serious about 1. dun bother grinning over the cheap ones because they're just not sturdy enuff for a DSLR...then again, only if u need ONE..), maybe extra batteries? then again, its what you really need. gotta ask yourself where, what & when you will be shooting.

for the hood is good. just put it on. it blocks off the sun rays & offers good protection for your lens itself...

just my 5 cents after disappearing from this forum for 2 months! :D

btw, hi espn. good to see u again. ;)

cheeRs!

espn said:
It's funny how a camera body can determine which camp you go to. :)

Look at the entire glass collection, flash system and the expandibility of the system you're buying, camera body is only so that important, the entire system is more crucial.

Well, as with other things in life, it does seem that size does matter here as well.

It's not what's in the package, but the size of the package. Haha! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.