D40x vs 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz123

Jun 4, 2007
Hi,

I've seen a lot of comparisons for D40 vs D80, D40 vs 400D, 400D vs D80, etc. Havent seen one between D40x and 400D...

Comments please?

I'm thinking of getting my first dSLR... buget less than SGD2k with lens kits.
noticed that D40x uses a bigger ccd sensor, while the 400d uses a cmos one.

Thanks.:think:

Go try them out...

Bottom line - 400D takes all EF and EFs lenses while D40x only AF with AFS Nikkors and HSM Sigmas.

for me i would go for 400D, rent a few cams and you will see the diff.. Cheers !!
btw if u happened to go for nikon, might as well save up for the D80 which is a few hundred dollars more.. D80 has better high iso noise control then the D70/D40..

IMO, 400D should be compare with D80 not D40x, the D40x is an ultra entry level DSLR.

after reading so much... i feel if wanna buy d40x, as well i save up & wait abit longer to get d80.. noobie is correct shld compare 400d & d80, not d40x... if wanna buy d40x, i perfer get d40 is better.. save some $$ for AF-S lens :)

it juz my view... :) pls correct me if i say anything wrong...

yeagh go for the 400D man
i have played with the D40 did not quite like it, the controls are not really dedicated to quick changing of aperuture or shutter speed, gotta click from the lcd screen.

yeagh go for the 400D man
i have played with the D40 did not quite like it, the controls are not really dedicated to quick changing of aperuture or shutter speed, gotta click from the lcd screen.

really? in A mode for example, just turn the dial and the aperture changes instantly. same for S mode. look through the viewfinder and u see the A and S info changing accordingly. not sure what u mean by "dedicated controls for changing of aperture or shutter speed."

D40x is better for "kit and be there", the kit lens can be any of the four - 18-55,70,135,200, or perhaps 18-55+55-200. But for that, D40 looks even more attractive.

D40(x) may require a few more clicks when changing some settings but I don't see it as a problem, given the proven AE performance. The link quoted by zaren seems fair, perhaps except for the color rendition part, which is partly due to the difference in default settings.

One thing I like about 400D though is the 9-point AF system. It performs pretty well picking up the nearest subject and does help when shooting action and candid, where focus-recompose is impossible.

I've seen a lot of comparisons for D40 vs D80, D40 vs 400D, 400D vs D80, etc. Havent seen one between D40x and 400D...

D40x = D40 with more MP.

D40x vs 400D
D80 vs 30D
D200 vs 5D

D40x vs 400D
D80 vs 30D
D200 vs 5D

I beg to differ totally! More like D80 and D200 compare to 30D. The 5D is a APS (full frame) DSLR. The D40x has no comparible Canon equivalent, it is a DSLR that does not fully support all Nikkor lenses. Meaning you'll not get AF on all Nikkor lenses, however I don't know if it is compatible with Sigma/Tamron/3rd party lenses, maybe D40x user can chip in. :) The 400D can take and support fully all EF lenses and all 3rd party Canon munt lenses.

thanks for all the advices and comments! really appreciate that!
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I think you've got your arrows the wrong way around...

I thought the symbol he uses here meant to be "arrow" symbol (pointing) not as in mathematical term "greater/smaller than" ???

to me you shld get D80...its much better than 400D

to me you shld get D80...its much better than 400D

I wouldn't say much better... slightly better since you get spot metering with d80...

I wouldn't say much better... slightly better since you get spot metering with d80...

u also get spot metering with the D40x and D40.

Status
Not open for further replies.