D40x or D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumpyme

Deregistered
Mar 9, 2007
anyone? which one shd i get... i dun own any lens so the AF-S/I lens on d40x isnt a prob. I know the d40's have more limitations than the d70s but its 10mps!

figured the 10mp will last longer, and its new! d70s been ard for what 2 yrs now..

d40x, the controls external buttons are much more limited than d7os. but the noise control and all these are better.

for me i prefer the d7os

any more opnions? i know its hard to say as d40x isnt out but wanna hear some opinions

I prefer the D70s over the D40x. Go for the D80 if you want a 10MP.

Yeah, go for the D80 .......... if I were you :)

I dun think the 10mp will make a lot of difference unless you are printing poster sized pics out of it. I would prefer to take pics in 6mp cuz file size are smaller and my computer is pretty old, so it takes a long time to process big files... :)

What I think I would like of the D40x over D70s is the better LCD screen. As for drawbacks of the D40x, 3 focussing point (I'm finding 5 foccusing point on my D70 too little liao), can only use AFS lenses (you might not have Nikon lenses now, but it's gonna limit what lenses you can use in the future), small grip (personal preference).

d80 no money ler, very ex. if i buy liao i pok kai...

any ya d70s the lcd 2" not as bright as the d40s 2.5" furthermore with the d80 user interface, nice la the ang kong of the apeture hahaha...

umm... i heard nikon gonna switch to af-s/i lens in future.

i only got money to buy d40x or d70s. anyway i ar ga d40x now 800USD so i suppose in sg it will be bout 1.2k... correct/wrong?

Go for the D70s. Use the money you saved on good lenses. Digital bodies are like disposable cameras in the DSLR world.

wa extreme! :eek:

hi.... i just got myself a D70 and very satisfy with it. I am not sure... but i think D70 worth everycent to learn about photography. Somehow I believe with functions it give, I will stick with it for long time till better stage :cool:

Actually, i feel that 6mp is enough, and many have the impression that the higher the MP guarantees better image.Wrong! Anyway, here's a link to an explanation of 'megapixel myth' ;)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Actually, i feel that 6mp is enough, and many have the impression that the higher the MP guarantees better image.Wrong! Anyway, here's a link to an explanation of 'megapixel myth' ;)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
not better image, but more details when viewing at pixel level or poster print size, provided everything else are constant and not a bottleneck (ie, weak resolution lenses). :sweatsm:

In the US, the D40 has been getting rave reviews.

In fact to quote Ken Rockwell:
"My D40 is too much fun. I own all sorts of serious cameras like the Canon 5D, Nikon D200, D80 and D70, but my D40, with its weightless 18-55mm lens and SB-400 flash, is what I grab most of the time as of February 2007 when I just want to make good photos easily. It works great with my other lenses like the Nikon 18-200mm VR.

I got it for fun, and since have fallen in love with how fast and easy it is to use. The great images just keep pouring out of it. Its so light weight I carry it everywhere instead of my Canon SD700 pocket camera.

I don't use my D80 anymore. When I want a fun, light camera, I grab my D40. I only grab my big D200 when I've got something more serious to photograph."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

I'd go for the D40x rather than the D70s

Patrick

ok heres my prob.

1) i prefer the d40x lcd which is brighter and bigger and has the newer user interface.
2) its much smaller and egonomical.
3) its 10mp, which i figured will last me longer.
4) i think nikon will switch to solely af-s/i lenses in future.
5) d70s is 2 yrs old, d40x has a newer sensor and processor.
6) good batt lifespan.

Bad:
1) have to jump thru a few menus to adjust iso, apetrure, shutter.
2) no depth of field preview.

as for the more detail specs im nt too sure what it means to be honest... if the diff means alot.

I am new to photography and need help deciding!

ok heres my prob.

1) i prefer the d40x lcd which is brighter and bigger and has the newer user interface.
6) good batt lifespan.

Bad:

as for the more detail specs im nt too sure what it means to be honest... if the diff means alot.

until u mixed with fellow nikonians and diff models...u won't knw what u had missed by opting out D70/s D80.

ok heres my prob.

6) good batt lifespan.

Bad:

Do you want the camera to learn more about the DSLR features and functions or are you after a easy to use fun camera??

If it's the former, then go with a D70s, D50 or D80...

If you're looking for a small fun and light camera, then get the D40X. The differences are all in the user interface. If you can't get at them easily, chances are, you won't bother with them when you have the camera.

You need to play around with the Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO to have a better idea on how they correlate to help you get the desired picture. Else you may just end up with the Green button mode most of the time and frankly, it's gonna be a larger sized PnS.... :sweat:

ok heres my prob.

6) good batt lifespan.

Bad:

Aiyah lumpyme if I were you don't be fussy la. FYI, I just fixed my D70 which I bought in 2004 when it was first launched! I could have sold when it went kaput but instead I chose to fix and keep it! Seriously you ought to put technical superiority aside in the name of taking good pics. As for camera ergonomics, there's bound to be certain stuff you don't like but trust me, you'll soon get over it.

haha sounds like a lecturing... but thanks alot for the input... hope u understand im caught in between!

Status
Not open for further replies.