d40x and my next lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytbryan

Oct 9, 2008
Hi all,

update: title should be d40x and the next lenses

I am helping a friend to ask a question regarding his next buy.
He has a d40x with a kit lenses 18 -55mm.

He's considering to get a second lenses 50 - 200mm tamron or just go for a 18 - 200mm( which is alot more expensive).

I guess the question is a matter of the price vs the trouble of switching lense?

or is there more insights that somebody can share?

thank you!

u got the question right... ans urself ba...got money get it...dun have...do with 2 lens

Trouble of switching? Then DSLR is wrong camera. It's also a matter of shooting preferences. The kit lens covers the most useful range for beginners. If you friend needs longer lenses only occasionally then the 50-200 is more suitable.

thanks guys for the advices :)

i would say AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX!!!

u can consider the nikon afs 55-200 vr len or the newer 18-200vr2 len...

there r other options like the tamron 18-270 len....

For the price of N 18-200VR, I would rather get the both 17-50/2.8 (non-VC) tamron and the 55-200VR. Around the same price. But then again, this is me not him. Everyone has different preferences.

If he needs longer reach, get the Nikon 55-200 VR. Cheap and good.

If want to upgrade the lens on the current focal length, get the 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron (VC or non-VC up to his budget).

Last edited:
I agree with the 55-200 VR.

May i know what is the different 18-200mm & 55-200mm?
Is it 55-200mm is a wide angle & what is VR & Non VR?

Last edited:

Please read up on the photography basics for newbies. You need to focus on "focal length" to understand your question.

Google for "what is VR" and you will learn. Or try to look on the Nikon website, or any lens review site, to educate yourself.

1) difference grammar is an awesome thing buddy.

2) 18-200 is a general walkabout lens, goes from wide angle to mild telephoto. a 55-200 goes from sort of portrait format to mild telephoto

Is it 55-200mm is a wide angle

no.

what is VR & Non VR?

VR = IS = SR = STABILISES THE LENS YO.

:cheers:

I got a 2nd hand 1 year old 18-200mm VR lens from a "Clubsnapper", almost 25% cheaper than a new one.

Reason for spending more rather than getting 55-200mm is because of trekking through terrains (Nepal Annapurna Range) for long distance and days of travelling - 16 days

No.1 - More lens = more weight -> You are already very tired
No.2 - Hassle of lens changing on the way, dust WILL get in
No.3 - Its suits all the range I need using just a lens - I only brought one lens there (in fact this is my only extra lens at that time - just started then)

If you are on budget yet wanted the telephoto works, getting another 55-200mm shouldn't be much to spend on. :sticktong

Last edited:
Please read up on the photography basics for newbies. You need to focus on "focal length" to understand your question.

Google for "what is VR" and you will learn. Or try to look on the Nikon website, or any lens review site, to educate yourself.

Thanks for the advices. I really should have search more in the forum before asking questions..

1) difference grammar is an awesome thing buddy.

2) 18-200 is a general walkabout lens, goes from wide angle to mild telephoto. a 55-200 goes from sort of portrait format to mild telephoto

no.

VR = IS = SR = STABILISES THE LENS YO.

thanks for the advices & grammatical mistakes

:cheers:[/QUOTE]

I got a 2nd hand 1 year old 18-200mm VR lens from a "Clubsnapper", almost 25% cheaper than a new one.

Reason for spending more rather than getting 55-200mm is because of trekking through terrains (Nepal Annapurna Range) for long distance and days of travelling - 16 days

No.1 - More lens = more weight -> You are already very tired
No.2 - Hassle of lens changing on the way, dust WILL get in
No.3 - Its suits all the range I need using just a lens - I only brought one lens there (in fact this is my only extra lens at that time - just started then)

If you are on budget yet wanted the telephoto works, getting another 55-200mm shouldn't be much to spend on. :sticktong

thanks for the advices

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.