D40 with 50mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillValentine

May 5, 2007
Kembangan
When I attached my D40 to the 50mm lens, it can only MF. I can't find any button to switch to AF.

My kit lens is able to AF when I attach it back. I didn't change any setting when I swop the 2 lenses...

D40 can only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

D40 can only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

Oh I see! I got a scare! I thought the connection to my camera is spoilt! :sweat: ..... or my 50mm is dead...

50mm, with its aperture ring, is G lens I assume. (I dunno where my box and user manual is!)

Oh I see! I got a scare! I thought the connection to my camera is spoilt! :sweat: ..... or my 50mm is dead...

50mm, with its aperture ring, is G lens I assume. (I dunno where my box and user manual is!)

I believe the focus confirmation dot is still operative. Turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus until the "dot" lights up in the viewfinder. It ain't too difficult.

Yet another D40 user who is not aware that only lenses with SWM or HSM can autofocus on the D40 series body.

G lenses don't have aperture rings.
D lenses do.

Nikkor AF lenses are screw-driven.
Nikkor AF-S lenses are SWM driven.

D40 does not have the screw...

I believe the focus confirmation dot is still operative. Turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus until the "dot" lights up in the viewfinder. It ain't too difficult.

VF a bit small!

Yet another D40 user who is not aware that only lenses with SWM or HSM can autofocus on the D40 series body.

G lenses don't have aperture rings.
D lenses do.

Nikkor AF lenses are screw-driven.
Nikkor AF-S lenses are SWM driven.

D40 does not have the screw...

OK, 50mm is a D lens then. I dun have the box with me so I kinda blur...

I dun understand what do u mean by screw-driven. But I think it's OK.

My bro recommended the camera to me as he thinks it is easy enough for beginner and not heavy for me, especially when we travel overseas. Well, it's OK. Thanks!

the dot works fine~ :) try to mf with the 50mm for some fun~

and when you are expert with it already.. you would be able to focus voigs.. zeiss and other ais lenses on your camera nxt time..

the dot works fine~ :) try to mf with the 50mm for some fun~

and when you are expert with it already.. you would be able to focus voigs.. zeiss and other ais lenses on your camera nxt time..

OK OK! :) ... that's provided I can stick to photography long enough to become expert before I gave up!

All Nikon AF body (except D40 & D40X) have AF motor that drives AF lenses (by a screwdriver like thingy). AF-S lenses have built-in AF motor and does not rely on the body's AF motor.

D40 & D40X can only perform AF with AF-S lenses since they lack AF motor in the body.

D & G lenses has nothing to do with AF. Both will work with you D40. G lenses lacks the aperture ring.

BC

Thanks for all the explanations. I will close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.