D40 support prime lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkSide

Dec 7, 2007
As stated above. THX!!

If by support, you mean mounting, then the answer is yes. It can mount alot of prime lenses, all the way up to non-AI lenses.

If by support, you mean other things, then the answer will be different.

I suggest you refine your question, or go google and do a search :)

full support with auto focus with the following lenses

Nikon
AFS 60mm )
AFS 105mm VR ) both micro lens

Sigma
30mm f1.4
50mm f1.4

Tamron
90mm f2.8 latest macro lens

The release from Nikon : ( functions supported )

1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported;
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor : All functions supported except autofocus;
3) The newer tilt shift PC lenses: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus;
4) Other AF Nikkor*1/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II;
5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; ( of course if u managed to put a chip into the lens, it can meter )
6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used

Ryan

you forgot to add the

AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
AF-S VR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED
AF-S 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II
AF-S 500mm f/4D IF-ED II
AF-S 600mm f/4D IF-ED II
AF-S 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED II
AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
AF-S 600mm f/4D IF-ED

thank you for all your comments!
Intend to get AF 28mm f/2.8D. Wonder how to get tis mounted.

It mounts the same way as other lenses.
But it will be manual focusing

Ryan

It will mount perfectly fine without having to do anything else. However, it will not have autofocus.

you
just
put
it
on
the
camera
any
other
Nikkor

Have you done any research on Nikkor lenses before you started in your Nikon system?

you forgot to add the

AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
AF-S VR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED
AF-S 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II
AF-S 500mm f/4D IF-ED II
AF-S 600mm f/4D IF-ED II
AF-S 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED II
AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
AF-S 600mm f/4D IF-ED

lol! sure go broke one.. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

but TS, why d'ya want to get a solely MF lens for your D40? A Tamron 17-50 F2.8 would be a wiser choice imho :think:

Agree. Considering the Nikkor 28/2.8 has the same aperture size anyways, the 17-50 (with a built-in motor) will definitely be more versatile as well.

PS: If the 28mm was a f/1.8 or f/1.4, it may be a different story.

Agree. Considering the Nikkor 28/2.8 has the same aperture size anyways, the 17-50 (with a built-in motor) will definitely be more versatile as well.

PS: If the 28mm was a f/1.8 or f/1.4, it may be a different story.

Is it? I haven yet to do any research on Tamron. Is the mounting similar? How about the price? Plz shed some lights on me. Thank u!!!

It will mount perfectly fine without having to do anything else. However, it will not have autofocus.

you
just
put
it
on
the
camera
any
other
Nikkor

Have you done any research on Nikkor lenses before you started in your Nikon system?

You mean D40 system? Not really on the lenses. tts y i m in newbie corner. :bsmilie:

Is it? I haven yet to do any research on Tamron. Is the mounting similar? How about the price? Plz shed some lights on me. Thank u!!!

You mean D40 system? Not really on the lenses. tts y i m in newbie corner. :bsmilie:

well, I think you need to read up on mounting :)

and yes, a 'nikon-mount' tamron will fit but you need to buy the version with the built-in motor. don't forget! ;)

well, I think you need to read up on mounting :)

and yes, a 'nikon-mount' tamron will fit but you need to buy the version with the built-in motor. don't forget! ;)

Yes. Shd read up on tt! Is 'nikon-mount' tamron an extra equipment to have?

if you been looking through at the nikon section, you'll come across this.
lots of reading up to do for you...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380612

yea, came across tis but forget abt it till u mentioned. ThX!

Yes. Shd read up on tt! Is 'nikon-mount' tamron an extra equipment to have?

Its a lens. The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Its built by a 'third-party' company so it comes in many types of mounts..Canon...Nikon..etc. You'll be getting the Nikon-mount i presume :bsmilie:

As for whether its sth you want, I gave that recommendation based on the fact that you wanted a 28mm f2.8 prime(which can't AF on your D40) . The Tamron retains a constant F2.8 through all focal lengths and the latest model can AF on your D40, so it seems to be a gd choice :)

Last edited:
Its a lens. The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Its built by a 'third-party' company so it comes in many types of mounts..Canon...Nikon..etc. You'll be getting the Nikon-mount i presume :bsmilie:

As for whether its sth you want, I gave that recommendation based on the fact that you wanted a 28mm f2.8 prime(which can't AF on your D40) . The Tamron retains a constant F2.8 through all focal lengths and the latest model can AF on your D40, so it seems to be a gd choice :)

Thx alot bro.. however, i was wondering is the price still $610-$700? Got a bit of tight budget. 2nd hand wldn't b much different rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.