D40 or 400D??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are for noobie. You won't go wrong with either of them, go to shop and try out which one you like! Anyway take note that D40/D40X only accept AF-S lens.

PS: Why not go for those compact with manual they are great too!

Personally I like the 400D, takes tack sharp pics, v capable cam. I just don't like the shutter sound.

Hmm.. For a newbie, concern is Mpixels rite? 400D got more mp, so get that! ;)

But really, for me, I took the 400D, not because of mp, but because I'm more comfortable with Canon. If you have a canon PnS, and find that it is good, reliable, den get the 400d. If you think Canon not reliable, dont get it. :D g luck.

Oh ya, as for lens prices, you can look at the forum price lists to compare the prices of the "same" lenses fromt he diff brands.

which will be the better camera for a noobie??

the one you feel more comfortable with

remember, you're buying into a SYSTEM, not a CAMERA

also, make sure you like the interface/handling of the camera, if you buy a camera which feels weird in your hands.. you won't use it.

tt what i am thinking of , the lens for nikon will be more x than cannon right?

roughly the same price for these two brands.

Yesterday I was reading on the spec of the canon 16-35L f2.8 II. The review gave it 5/5 rating. You can consider getting canon as I personally feel that their lens are better. A bit regret getting nikon.

MP not really important for me as i dun print anything. lol. i try out d40 dun really like the feel of it. no time to try out 400d yet. cannon one slightly more x

MP not really important for me as i dun print anything. lol. i try out d40 dun really like the feel of it. no time to try out 400d yet. cannon one slightly more x

Just remember that, which ever company you chose (Nikon or Canon)..... once you start buying a few more lens or parts, you are very much 'struck' with that company for good...... Goodluck on your choice..... ;)

i feel that the D40 is designed in such a way that its a simple to use camera, so if u dont have alot of interest in getting into more serious photography it'll be bloody good, while the another hand canon 400D is more like an entry level that allows u to get into the SLR world (the availability of lotsa lenses). However both are very nice choices, two highly competent companies and i'd say try them both, buy one that you like. Don't look at megapixels too much, its the lens and other factors that matter. No matter how good, if the camera doesnt feel good in ur hands you'll always be limited by that... hope that helps :)

I had that dilema 2 weeks ago but settled for Nikon D40X.

TK Foto. S$980 for the body and kit lens. $399 for the VR 55-200mm. $190 for SB-400. GST inclusive.

TK Foto. S$980 for the body and kit lens. $399 for the VR 55-200mm. $190 for SB-400. GST inclusive.

Your prices are ok, just a tad bit more expensive than outside. Still alright. Shoot your kids more ba.

Your prices are ok, just a tad bit more expensive than outside. Still alright. Shoot your kids more ba.

this combo can keep you happy for quite awhile! :D

but why not get d80 or a 2nd hand d70s. sure can keep you happy for a long while, and also if you get 50mm f1.8, can auto focus.. unlike d40/x, must manual :(

Nikon lenses are more ex..

D40X only uses the newer lenses meaning when u purchase lenses from the Buy/Sell forums need to take note of the lenses models.

400D is able to use all the canon lenses in the market

but personally i feel Nikon Flash are better.. but Canon ISO is better?
Take note: all this is i personally feel.. no War PEACE.

In terms of function, 400D don't have Spot Metering, which is quite important for portrait shoot.

Fully agreed that your are actually choosing a camera system, in which you are building up for the time to come. For me, I started off with D40 & is very comfortable with the Nikon's build & quality, both in camera body & lenses. Now I have upgraded to D80 & keeping some of the beloved lens.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.