D40 newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphicz

Oct 28, 2006
I just got my D40 this wk and how should i go about starting on photography..like what shots should i start with..or my preference?
would be pleased if some tips in using the D40 could be shared with me..:)

grab your camera and go out and shoot everything
or join photo outings

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yup, i will suggest you to go out and shoot everything, you might find some interst in that area like, Night photography, Macros, Landscape....etc. Well it all boils down to your perferences. :)

The term "trigger happy" is so great now that photography is digital (no need to worry how much the print out gona cost). Shoot till you or the battery drop (whichever comes first), recharge then repeat.

haha.. okay thanks for the replies..
btw i'm not that sure of how you change the settings when shooting..

I'm a newbie too ...using D40 since Dec 06...i find that the more you shoot the more you will understand those f numbers and shutter speeds better...

haha.. okay thanks for the replies..
btw i'm not that sure of how you change the settings when shooting..

Try them out...

use different ones and learn how they are used.
A mode - Aperture, you control the aperture and the camera will control the shutter speed
S mode - Shutter Speed, you control the shutter speed, the camera controls the aperture
M mode - Manual, you control both shutter and aperture according to the metering you choose.

There's lots more to pick up, like ISO speed control, etc..

Try them out...

use different ones and learn how they are used.
A mode - Aperture, you control the aperture and the camera will control the shutter speed
S mode - Shutter Speed, you control the shutter speed, the camera controls the aperture
M mode - Manual, you control both shutter and aperture according to the metering you choose.

There's lots more to pick up, like ISO speed control, etc..

thanks. btw you only can control many other things in these modes too right?
and there's a AFbutton there..what isit for

thanks. btw you only can control many other things in these modes too right?
and there's a AFbutton there..what isit for

Yes.

That's the beauty of a SLR, you can full control over the camera. Remeber it's only a tool, so you're the deciding factor if the pic comes out nice or not.

just keep snapping as though its a point and shoot, thats what i do. although its a little big, but its light and fun.

the d40's pretty easy to use although its only a 3pt AF. just play around, under Auto mode the focus's usually on the nearest object, you can set it to dynamic and bring different objects into focus.(the bug with this cam is that when you set it to dynamic, it will revert back to nearest object after you turn off and on again under Auto)

i use the p,s,a,m modes more often though..the settings do stay.

if you are on the road, i.e travelling at 65 miles/hr snapping at 1/1000 or 1/1250 at f3.5 gives you decent shots.. without motion blurness & under exposure..

if you are taking pictures of buildings, colorful stuff against a sky/sunny background, dropping the exp compensation by a step or two, you get better color and saturation on the d40. its wierd but i have to do that all the time..

just keep snapping as though its a point and shoot, thats what i do. although its a little big, but its light and fun.

the d40's pretty easy to use although its only a 3pt AF. just play around, under Auto mode the focus's usually on the nearest object, you can set it to dynamic and bring different objects into focus.(the bug with this cam is that when you set it to dynamic, it will revert back to nearest object after you turn off and on again under Auto)

i use the p,s,a,m modes more often though..the settings do stay.

if you are on the road, i.e travelling at 65 miles/hr snapping at 1/1000 or 1/1250 at f3.5 gives you decent shots.. without motion blurness & under exposure..

if you are taking pictures of buildings, colorful stuff against a sky/sunny background, dropping the exp compensation by a step or two, you get better color and saturation on the d40. its wierd but i have to do that all the time..

thanks all~

btw you also using D40?
i'm not sure how to switch the settings..
eg S mode only can change shutterspd or what else can i change..
dont know what to press..read manual alr still..weird.

thanks all~

btw you also using D40?

Here's a start for you, from our venerable ***:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

There should be tonnes of other material you should be able to find on the web. The manual will describe the intricacies and will be very useful after you've gotten the general idea about the camera.

HTH.

Here's a start for you, from our venerable ***:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

There should be tonnes of other material you should be able to find on the web. The manual will describe the intricacies and will be very useful after you've gotten the general idea about the camera.

HTH.

thanks. i shall try taking some shots in the next few days and maybe post here?

thanks. i shall try taking some shots in the next few days and maybe post here?

Post them in the correct sub-forums and there will be people who'd try to advise you on them.

thanks all~

btw you also using D40?

yup i use the d40..

its easy to switch the settings under S just rotate the wheel to adjust the shutter speed, and you can increase/decrease the exposure compensation

Under A, the wheel rotation changes the aperture

under manual, the wheel rotation changes the shutter speed, but holding down the +/- button, the right button behind the shutter button whilst rotating the wheel will change the aperture

if you want to take a bright picture, that is focused only in one spot, not too bothered abt the background, use a small F-value, i.e. F3, F4(big hole, aperture a lot of light come in), etc. the picture will be nice and bright, and background blur.. if you want to take a picture with background details and focus on one object at the same time, use a higher F-value, i.e. F10, 11(small hole/aperture..less light come in etc), etc but you have to increase the exposure a bit longer to compensate. i think there should be some better and clearer posts/explainations from the gurus in this forum..some of the basic photog concepts..

playing with these two alone on the d40 you can achieve different level of details, colors n stuff..

in the view finder you will see something like -........|.......+ its the camera's guide to whether your picture is over exposed or not.. or under exposed. based on your preference you can decide on the exposure you like your images to be in. for scenery etc i would prefer it to be slightly under exposed, i.e. -.....''''|.......+ but its a personal.. preference

snap a bit more and notice these features soon the d40 becomes much easier to use

yup i use the d40..

its easy to switch the settings under S just rotate the wheel to adjust the shutter speed, and you can increase/decrease the exposure compensation

Under A, the wheel rotation changes the aperture

under manual, the wheel rotation changes the shutter speed, but holding down the +/- button, the right button behind the shutter button whilst rotating the wheel will change the aperture

if you want to take a bright picture, that is focused only in one spot, not too bothered abt the background, use a small F-value, i.e. F3, F4(big hole, aperture a lot of light come in), etc. the picture will be nice and bright, and background blur.. if you want to take a picture with background details and focus on one object at the same time, use a higher F-value, i.e. F10, 11(small hole/aperture..less light come in etc), etc but you have to increase the exposure a bit longer to compensate. i think there should be some better and clearer posts/explainations from the gurus in this forum..some of the basic photog concepts..

playing with these two alone on the d40 you can achieve different level of details, colors n stuff..

in the view finder you will see something like -........|.......+ its the camera's guide to whether your picture is over exposed or not.. or under exposed. based on your preference you can decide on the exposure you like your images to be in. for scenery etc i would prefer it to be slightly under exposed, i.e. -.....''''|.......+ but its a personal.. preference

snap a bit more and notice these features soon the d40 becomes much easier to use

really great thanks there. :)

i change the exposure under the settings when i press menu isit..
then exposure and ISO are two different things..but i dont get ISO

I just got my D40 this wk and how should i go about starting on photography..like what shots should i start with..or my preference?

Heres a tip: start saving up for the AFS/HSM lens:)

Truez =)

And don't buy buy buy too much! Go and shot as much as you want with the kit lens before deciding on what you need.

I finally realise what I need after a month of heavy purchasing and selling....

Also, don't buy the prime lens as it does not Autofocus... unless you have great patience to MF all your shots =)

But of coz, if you want to train your patience, then it's a good thing too.. I grew more patience after using the 50mm 1.8f to MF all my shots.

But if you die die want a good prime lens, the only one available is the Sigma 30mm 1.4f HSM going for a cool price of 750 - 800 if i'm not wrong....

Expensive but good for taking nice pictures.

Makes you feel like upgrading to a D80 coz of ability to use good lenses that don't AF with the D40....

Lastly... Don't try any of the lengendary lenses unless you wanna kinda BBB virus... I tried the 17-55 and almost wanted to sink my entire pay cheque to buy it... =x

HSM is what...haha..i am really a newbie :X

different lenses are good for different types of photography right..

simple answer if you have zero knowledge.
Learn.....either thro reading book on basic photography or attend a course

Status
Not open for further replies.