D4 or D800 , which one to buy ?

alanng

Sep 17, 2007
Both look good : currently I am using D3s , fantastic for event coverage photography for high ISO shooting , not sure is D800 can do well as a pro camera for event ? If can will de wonderful , I gain light weight n more pixel count , and also much cheaper price as compare to D4 : my dream camera actually ! Edison at Sim Lim have both on their fb on sale now !

alanng said:
Both look good : currently I am using D3s , fantastic for event coverage photography for high ISO shooting , not sure is D800 can do well as a pro camera for event ? If can will de wonderful , I gain light weight n more pixel count , and also much cheaper price as compare to D4 : my dream camera actually ! Edison at Sim Lim have both on their fb on sale now !

Hi, look like you not using the cam for shots a photos an just wanted have a new technology in new born camera stuff.

Actually if you already have a D3s, that is good enough for you to shots until 300k shutter dead.

Even you need the new tech for D4 is just increase the MP for 16 and add video function.

If you really need like 36Mp for poster size then you should go for D800 and no regret.
But you don't regret about High ISO.

both are cameras meant for different purposes.

do u need so much MP for event?

think u dun need to upgrade since u're using D3S. if u die die want to buy, to upgrade, then get D4 since it is ur dream camera.

go and upgrade it and keep ur D3S as a backup or sell it here in CS.

as for Edison from Sim Lim? pls do ur own homework before you commit to buy from any shop.

I'd think you'd already know which camera works for you.

The D4 is, in my opinion, closest to the D3s. The D800 is really quite different from the D3s and may require a departure of your shooting style.

I am going for a D800. With the money saved, targeting the D400 (or whatever is the D300s successor) next :)

The D800 for details, the D400 (hopefully) for "good-enough" ISO performance with faster frame rate and a DX reach. This will complete my list - D800 for FX wide-angle, and fine details (possibly for macro); D400 for high frame rate and moderate reach (for birding, especially keen to do birds in flight); and finally my V1 for ultimate reach (for stationary objects such as birds in good light) and a light walk-about.

Then will retire my D7000 :)

Last edited:
I am going for a D800. With the money saved, targeting the D400 (or whatever is the D300s successor) next :)

The D800 for details, the D400 (hopefully) for "good-enough" ISO performance with faster frame rate and a DX reach. This will complete my list - D800 for FX wide-angle, and fine details (possibly for macro); D400 for high frame rate and moderate reach (for birding, especially keen to do birds in flight); and finally my V1 for ultimate reach (for stationary objects such as birds in good light) and a light walk-about.

Then will retire my D7000 :)

Cheer ! Nikon supporter..............................:)

alanng said:
not sure is D800 can do well as a pro camera for event ?

Some pro r still earning their bread and butter from d200/300 covering event and wedding.

If u think from a business point of view, a decent cam would get the job done. Decent mean any dslr etc d70 series onward , for flash photography .. d700 min. for no flash photography.

A amature or hobbist would worry about latest technology that they miss out, thus they buy and buy without thinking if its what they need. A pro would think about business cost and decide for themselve if the new technology is worth spending.

DSCF6525_01.jpg

Wow $$$ cool..

You see our brother got money then buy them all.

No matter how you compare here, money can buy them all :)

Nice to see all 3 cameras in your possession.

JacePhoto said:
woah! Cool. Now lets see your pictures :)

What for? I don't get it.

Excellent pictures!!

Thank you for helping me reaffirm that I do not need these cameras...