D3200 is out !!

it is a couple of mm larger than the D3100

D3200 125 x 96 x 77 mm / 505 g (including battery)
D3100 124 x 96 x 75 mm / 505 g (including battery)

same battery as D3100

Wow they bumped up the megapixel count quite a lot...

Think it is a move to try to attract normal users :bsmilie:

Still no autofocus motor?

kaixax555 said:

I think it from D40, D60 until now for entry level is not need built-in AF motor :)

i believe you can stop waiting for AF motor on the entry level cameras
cut cost, size and weight

ortega said:

Actually in entry level got built-in aperture dial is more prefect than built-in motor.

Cause that time in AF 50mm f1.8D is the most value lens & now already replace with AFS 50mm f1.8G it is more improved and cheaper also.

Ha ha in future have AFS 28-1.8, 35-1.8DX, 50-1.8G, 40-2.8Micro & 85-1.8G there is all match in DX body.

Last edited:
rain5533 said:
Now look like entry level also enjoy the high performance IQ and MP with ISO.

So how to decide?

800E

????

I think within the DX range, it's down to what one can afford.

Beyond that, it's what one need it for.

kaixax555 said:

Plenty of AF-S lenses, from basic zooms, primes to top end lenses.

This may seem like a bold statement, but I really think most beginners can live with only having AF-S lenses.

Here are my reasons:
I personally think the older 50mm lenses are inferior to the newer AF-S and exclusively avoid them. Same reasoning for the older 85mm.

The older wide angle primes are really not that good anyway.

Same reasoning with the older zoom lenses (18-35mm, 24-85mm, 70-300mm non-VR, 70-180 micro, 70-210mm, 80-200mm)

I fact, I think you are left with the 105mm and the 135mm, 80-400mm, 200mm macro. Maybe the 60mm micro - the newer one is just that little bit better. Which I think a D3200 or D5100 series user won't usually consider.

Brilliant.
Looks like it could be possibly the same 24MP APS-C sensor as the Sony A77 & Nex 7.

Was going to pull the trigger on a D5100.
But looks like the D3200 might be the better choice for me, with its continuous autofocus.

ortega said:

Agreed. Most entry-level users don't even have any other lens than the kit (AFS and DX naturally).

And even if they wanted to explore, there's a wealth of 'budget' AFS lenses which may be even better than their AFD counterparts. The 35/1.8 comes to mind immediately.

Agreed. Most entry-level users don't even have any other lens than the kit (AFS and DX naturally).

And even if they wanted to explore, there's a wealth of 'budget' AFS lenses which may be even better than their AFD counterparts. The 35/1.8 comes to mind immediately.

the 35mm 1.8 is a gem.

niteblu said:
Brilliant.
Looks like it could be possibly the same 24MP APS-C sensor as the Sony A77 & Nex 7.

Was going to pull the trigger on a D5100.
But looks like the D3200 might be the better choice for me, with its continuous autofocus.

Sorry not reply your question here.

Regarding the D3200 & D5100 and just depend what you need.
Actually this both are not much difference of performance.

1st you like the D3200 in lightweight or high MP?
2nd do you like the D5100 variable view angle LCD?

But for me if consider of entry level, I should buy the latest model and I know this cam and hander me up to which level..

Last edited:
Cause in market they won't just target on male user, most of lady also needed Entry level DSLR but for them only know how to point and shoot.

If put in AF motor the Nikon pro user still stick on entry level for 2nd body.

That is my reason.

erm were you replying to my post? it wasn't directed at you.
i don't quite see the connection.

niteblu said:
erm were you replying to my post? it wasn't directed at you.
i don't quite see the connection.

Oops.

One more thing I have to mention nowadays the MP has improved more largest then must be buy more high speed SD card to suit all the new cam.

Last edited:
This is really Nikon's 回马枪!
To revolutionise and lead the whole entry level Dslr market...

This is really Nikon's 回马枪!
To revolutionise and lead the whole entry level Dslr market...

yep. at est. retail price for the kit w/ 18-55.
699usd = 870sgd retail.
Nikon def has a killer app on their hands.

was just about to pull the trigger on a d5100.
now shelved it completely.

ortega said:
24.2 MP with EXPEED 3 image-processing

When the D800 with its 36MP was announced, there was hot debate on the web whether the current slew of lenses can resolve for the loads of megapixels. Now 24MP on a DX... Will the 18-55mm kit lens be able to cut it?

Where is the D400???????
Y are they coming up with a D3200 first?????? Are they thinking that olympic participant or spectators will use a D3200???
Where is the D400???????

Hitokiri84 said:
Where is the D400???????
Y are they coming up with a D3200 first?????? Are they thinking that olympic participant or spectators will use a D3200???
Where is the D400???????

Got ah.. They release the 2 pro body an so far got many problem in short period.

So they mind be release the entry level to suit all needed in bigger MP.

Nikon is extremely smart. They realized that most entry level buyer do not have a photography background and will only look at the MP when they buy. So the new buyers will be like "woah, 24MP!! My old PnS is only 10MP. Definitely will
take better pictures"