D3100

rljh91

Dec 13, 2010
IS D3100 a good enough DSLR for a beginner?

definitely. some more cheaper

Yes. Good enough :)

Get the D90 if you have the budget.

You ought to explain to TS why you recommended the D90 instead of the D3100. Throwing up a model name alone doesn't really help.

If he's smart enough he will research on his own. Can't always depend on others to give information.

:thumbsup: for Nikon D3100 with DX 16-85 VR lens and SB400 :)

I am using D3100. Yes it's a good camera for a beginner. It is light and easy to use. But I would recommend you to get D90 if you have the budget because D3100 can only AF with AFS lens and D90 can AF on both AFS and AFD lens, that means you got more choice of usable lens. IMHO.

Other than able to auto-focus motor driven lenses, ergonomics is much better on a D90.
Price is also quite good now.
D3100 is equally capable to produce nice images at a lower budget.
However, the grip maybe too small for some with bigger hands and it could be strenuous holding it for long hrs if u r mounting on a flash SB600 and above.
U can try out the handling of the 2 cameras and assess them according to your budget.

My recommendation for first time DSLR user:
D3100 is a good start for beginners in photography who do not wish to carry a heavy setup anywhere in the near future and don't wish to get too serious into photography within 3 yrs timespan (2 minimum).
D90 or D7000 are for serious beginners who wish to get into photography with a head start due to it's convenient and useful features such as bracketing and easy to reach settings on camera instead of in-menu.

I would recommend D3100 to ladies who wants to try DSLR to replace their point and shoot. If you have prior photography experience and understand the basic 3 elements (Aperture, Shutter speed & ISO), go straight for D7000.
For guys, I would recommend getting a 2nd hand D90 or a new local set D7000. D3100 is simply too small for guy's hand grip, imho...

My recommendation for first time DSLR user:
D3100 is a good start for beginners in photography who do not wish to carry a heavy setup anywhere in the near future and don't wish to get too serious into photography within 3 yrs timespan (2 minimum).
D90 or D7000 are for serious beginners who wish to get into photography with a head start due to it's convenient and useful features such as bracketing and easy to reach settings on camera instead of in-menu.

I would recommend D3100 to ladies who wants to try DSLR to replace their point and shoot. If you have prior photography experience and understand the basic 3 elements (Aperture, Shutter speed & ISO), go straight for D7000.
For guys, I would recommend getting a 2nd hand D90 or a new local set D7000. D3100 is simply too small for guy's hand grip, imho...

I have to concurr with what Cowseye said. I have been using the D3100 for over a month now and the grip really needs some time to getting used to it.

The D3100 however, in my IMHO, is a great beginner DSLR in terms of it's capabilities, weight and affordability. The only downside i can think of the D3100 is it's inability to do bracketing shots, other than that it is great. I am not sure if all the other Nikon DSLRs are like that but i felt that the D3100 is particularly energy saving as well, i covered a Malay wedding yesterday and my battery did not even reduce a bar :)

And well.. you shouldn't be comparing the D3100 to the D7000.. you have to compare apple to apple in order to be neutral and rationale in your decision :)

I wouldn't agree with the battery lifespan though. My gf had used the camera a few days already and it mostly drains up the entire battery by the end of the day if she kept snapping. The specification state that the battery (nikon original enel-14) allows about 550 shots, and actual test (by my gf with a Tamron 18-270 VC and no flash) is about 1150 shots before it drains out. My D90 (enel-3e) can much longer than that. I assumed D7000's battery should perform similar or better than the one in D90.

Cowseye said:
I wouldn't agree with the battery lifespan though. My gf had used the camera a few days already and it mostly drains up the entire battery by the end of the day if she kept snapping. The specification state that the battery (nikon original enel-14) allows about 550 shots, and actual test (by my gf with a Tamron 18-270 VC and no flash) is about 1150 shots before it drains out. My D90 (enel-3e) can much longer than that. I assumed D7000's battery should perform similar or better than the one in D90.

Looks like the VC is consuming the battery faster... D90's battery is bigger and higher capacity then D3100, right?

yeah definitely bigger capacity than the D3100 battery. It takes 2 times more than nikon's specification though, so i wouldn't say VC eat too much of juice from the battery.