D3100 or D5000

nukem257

Oct 29, 2010
Hi All !! I am new to the forum and to the hobby.
Now really wish to take up this hobby seriously.
I used to share canon 450d with my brother but now i wish to get one for myself.
I am thinking of getting nikon D3100 or D5000?
or should I wait for Nikon D7000?
I have seen great pictures taken from D5000 but yet to see the performance of D3100 and D7000. Does the body really plays an important role or the quality of the lens is the one that realy matters?

My budget is around 2K with lens.
Anyone care to advise or is there any Nikon expert/shifus out there to give me an advise or two?

I am thinking of getting nikon D3100 or D5000?
Why are you thinking about them? What makes you thinking that you should get one of these models? Share your thoughts please.
or should I wait for Nikon D7000?
Which functions of the D7k do you need that it makes it worth waiting for?
I have seen great pictures taken from D5000 but yet to see the performance of D3100 and D7000. Does the body really plays an important role or the quality of the lens is the one that realy matters?
Very blunt: you will not notice the difference. And I bet most other photographers won't notice either. Yes, lenses play a more important role.
Help yourself: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393

I just wondering, why would you want to go to Nikon if your brother is using Canon? dont you guys willing to share your lens?

I just wondering, why would you want to go to Nikon if your brother is using Canon? dont you guys willing to share your lens?

If you only have the kit lenses, it doesn't matter. Maybe he prefers Nikon. Let him make his own choices.

when the d7000 is available, you should compare how it feels in your hands with the d3100 and d5000. there is a noticeable difference in size and weight. if full-HD video is important to you, d7000 has that. while lenses are obviously important in the image quality, the body has a role to play too in other aspects of the image...

I believe you have read and thought through it and narrow down your preference to these two cameras.

If you want a second opinion, I say go for D5000.

Reasons -

1. D5000 has a tiled screen. It is convenient when you need to shoot at certain angle.
2. D5000 has better sensor rating according to DXOmark.
3. D5000 has exposure bracketing.

Sensor rating - Overall Score, Color Depth, Dynamic Range and Low-Light ISO

D5000 - 72, 22.7 bits, 12.5 EV, 868 ISO
D3100 - 67, 22.5 bits, 11.3 EV, 919 ISO

D5000 is 1.2 stop more than D3100 in dynamic range. You will appreciate this when you shoot landscape.

If you think D5000 give you good picture then you should get it and save the $ for some good lenses depending on the type of photography you like. However, bear in mind that it is the older of the 3 models you like and it and D3100 has some compatibility issues with older lenses so requires G lenses which can cost $$. Check the compatibilities here

D3100 and D7000 are new generation models with impressive specs but the ranking of them currently still follows in this order from entry level up D3100, D5000, D90, D7000 D300s, so you decide which one suits you better:devil:

Last edited:
Dear guys thks for the info and tips... However after much considerations, I maybe thinking of getting D5000 because the price is only a hundred difference and correct me if i'm wrong.. I guess the shutter speed is faster. Will go down to Nikon this weekend to test it out.... Thanks again guys..

Dear guys thks for the info and tips... However after much considerations, I maybe thinking of getting D5000 because the price is only a hundred difference and correct me if i'm wrong.. I guess the shutter speed is faster. Will go down to Nikon this weekend to test it out.... Thanks again guys..

Shutter Speed is faster? I don't get you. :dunno:
Feeling the camera in your hands is one thing.
Knowing your needs and which camera can provide you is another.
Good luck.

DI guess the shutter speed is faster.
Replace guessing by reading and knowing. Makes life easier. Take your time, the camera doesn't run away if you buy it 2 weeks later but based on sound knowledge.

That is a VERY good idea.
make an informed decision.

pssst. after that, don't forget to go down to Canon showroom, then Sony showroom, then Pentax, then Olympus., then..... (not necessarily in that order) ;)

Spec to spec comparison is one thing, but these are just numbers and for a newbie, do they have relevance and meaning when one can't differentiate shutter speed to FPS?

Let the images tell the story ;)
Imaging resource comparometer :
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

(BTW, D7K samples are in there as well)

Also look at DPreview, look at the sample as compared to the other camera you want to check against. Let the photos tell more than the comments (sometimes biased) will.

It'll be best to test out other brands too, could be easily as good as Nikon or even better.

NSC allow testing? I am asking because I do not know the answer.
I have been to NSC twice. I see the body there, and the lens kept in glass cabinet for display. You mean they can be used for testing?

NSC allow testing? I am asking because I do not know the answer.
I have been to NSC twice. I see the body there, and the lens kept in glass cabinet for display. You mean they can be used for testing?
If the guy is free and you smile at him and ask nicely, and he's willing to help you... :)

It helps if you have that "look of lust" when you stare at the stuff inside the cabinets :bsmilie:

If the guy is free and you smile at him and ask nicely, and he's willing to help you... :)

It helps if you have that "look of lust" when you stare at the stuff inside the cabinets :bsmilie:

Or if you are female. ;)