D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got a very quiet room with very quiet crowd?

no idea about whether your AF confirmation beep is on... last time when i was in a workshop... quite quiet environment... that photographer keeps on "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 1 second "flap flap"...

this continuous pattern really irritates me... if want to beep then just beep and shoot... keep beeping but not shooting why AF then???? :confused:

Go get the D300s - got quiet mode you know? :devil: :sweatsm:

And quiet AF with AF-S or HSM....:think:

no idea about whether your AF confirmation beep is on... last time when i was in a workshop... quite quiet environment... that photographer keeps on "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 1 second "flap flap"...

this continuous pattern really irritates me... if want to beep then just beep and shoot... keep beeping but not shooting why AF then???? :confused:
Got beep meh? Think mine off long long time ago! or spoilt liao :bsmilie:

You've got a very quiet room with very quiet crowd?
Yes........ only speaker speaking niah... and piak piak piak..... piak piak...... piak piak! :cry:

Go get the D300s - got quiet mode you know?

And quiet AF with AF-S or HSM....
AF no issue but piak piak piak very very distinct sound. D300s...... think full frame is my next upgrade.

My take on this......

I've seen my fair share of "irritating" photographers at seminars and really, its not the sound of the mirror but the photographers' lack of sensitivity towards the situation that pissed off the speakers and participants alike.

In general, the photographers haven't got the slightest clue when to take a photo and when not to, they just fire off as and when hoping to land a useable few shots. Why take 200 photos of the same speaker as he/she talks in a time frame of say...... 45 mins? Of course he/she would get irritated.

Some understanding of the seminar's content and the style of the speakers is essential. Observe your subjects, time your shots. Take a photo when he/she pauses, etc. Be considerate.

I'm not insinuating that TS is guilty but that's certainly something photographers have to reflect on. I'm saying this in the capacity of a seminar participant and photographer. If you were paid to be there, a few clicks isn't going to make you stand out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the camera.

Last edited:
The mirror slap is a mechanical movement, and no way of cutting that off altogether. Even with the D5k or D300s, the quiet mode basically lifts the mirror, and delays the return action.

In this kind of situation, a PnS or mirrorless camera, like EP1 will not "annoy" the speakers.

Help!!!! Freaking noisy! any way to dampen the noise from the mirror slaps?

The speakers and the facilitators seems damn cheesed! :cry:

My take on this......

I've seen my fair share of "irritating" photographers at seminars and really, its not the sound of the mirror but the photographers' lack of sensitivity towards the situation that pissed off the speakers and participants alike.

In general, the photographers haven't got the slightest clue when to take a photo and when not to, they just fire off as and when hoping to land a useable few shots. Why take 200 photos of the same speaker as he/she talks in a time frame of say...... 45 mins? Of course he/she would get irritated.

Some understanding of the seminar's content and the style of the speakers is essential. Observe your subjects, time your shots. Take a photo when he/she pauses, etc. Be considerate.

Fully agreed. Same observation over here.

My take on this......

I'm not insinuating that TS is guilty but that's certainly something photographers have to reflect on. I'm saying this in the capacity of a seminar participant and photographer. If you were paid to be there, a few clicks isn't going to make you stand out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the camera.

Thanks! i think i am very sensitive and not very insinuating. D300 and most other loud cameras would have problems handling situations in which the audience is just less than 1m away. That is why i am asking for methods to quieten the camera if someone who is genius enough might have figured out something.

What makes you think bigger mirrors will be quieter?
? Since when did i mention i will be getting bigger mirrors to be quieter? :nono:I am just saying next upgrade for me is a full frame!

The mirror slap is a mechanical movement, and no way of cutting that off altogether. Even with the D5k or D300s, the quiet mode basically lifts the mirror, and delays the return action.

In this kind of situation, a PnS or mirrorless camera, like EP1 will not "annoy" the speakers.
use PNS lor~ Haha!

Delay return action means slowing reaction time? i am a little backdated on camera technology.

PNS..... has very horrible ISO performance. and i must remember to off the beep beep sounds.:bsmilie:

AF no issue but piak piak piak very very distinct sound. D300s...... think full frame is my next upgrade.

Since when did i mention i will be getting bigger mirrors to be quieter? :nono:I am just saying next upgrade for me is a full frame!

Its apparent that you think the mirror slap is a problem for you then you went on about upgrading to FF......

Have you handled a D3 or D700? Heard the mirror slap before?

Are you using aperture ring or command dial for your aperture control ?

Go get the D300s - got quiet mode you know? :devil: :sweatsm:

And quiet AF with AF-S or HSM....:think:

What makes you think bigger mirrors will be quieter?

Its apparent that you think the mirror slap is a problem for you then you went on about upgrading to FF......

Have you handled a D3 or D700? Heard the mirror slap before?

i think, what TS meant, upgrade to full frame and the mirror slap noise are 2 different things, someone suggested that D300s got this quiet mode, but TS said he will not "upgrade" to a D300s just because of the quiet mode, even if he wants to upgrade, he will consider a full frame body (nothing to do with the mirror slap noise). ;)

I remember a story about a conductor (orchestra, not bus) who frowned on any photographers with SLRs (this was back in the 80s), but approved of Leicas. The main culprit was the mirror of course (a motordrive would probably see the photographer banned).

I was just wondering if in Live View, it's possible to shoot with the mirror 'locked up'. Granted, you'd have to use contrast detect AF, which is supposed to be slower, and ignore the viewfinder (blasphemy to many DSLR users, but if it works...). Is that even possible?

In effect, you'd be simulating the whole micro 4/3 / rangefinder idea - no mirror slap.

auto focus sound can switch off...d300s got Q mode. ..but still with little "clap" sound.. :)

I was just wondering if in Live View, it's possible to shoot with the mirror 'locked up'. Granted, you'd have to use contrast detect AF, which is supposed to be slower, and ignore the viewfinder (blasphemy to many DSLR users, but if it works...). Is that even possible?

Works for Canon doesn't work for Nikon :sweat:

When you fire a shot in LV, the mirror slaps down and performs a conventional shutter cycle (pretty stupid, imho)

To TS:
Get/Rent a Leica. Problem solved ;)

to solve the problem:

1) make the shots count. how many photos are used at the end? how many are you taking? if you are taking 200 and the result is that only 2 need to be used, then you should have only taken 8 maximum.

2) be sensitive, if the speaker is speaking and he wants to be heard, you have the choice to choose not to take.

TThat is why i am asking for methods to quieten the camera if someone who is genius enough might have figured out something.

Cover your camera with THICK towel lor :D

Am i genius??:sticktong

D70 shutter very quiet ... but hor... you know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.