D300 shutter sounds different between 12 and 14 bit NEF

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyboy

Oct 15, 2007
Anyone else noticed?

I tried googling but the only promising link was for the nikonians forum, that required me to register. No thanks. CS search function turned up much irrelevance for me, so please pardon me if this is a repeat qn.

The story is that the shutter sounds the same on 14 bit NEF across a wide range of shutter speeds. anything from abt 1/30 and faster sounds like it is at 1/30. even at 1/8000, the shutter sounds like it's very slow

switch to JPEG only, and the shutter sounds back to normal. it sounds faster at higher shutter speeds, and slower at slower speeds.

then i realised tt I had switched to 14 bit NEF. switched back to 12 bit, and the shutter sounds back to normal again.

I did a comparison between 14 bit NEF and jpg. same shutter speeds (fixed aperture/ISO) give the same exposure. so somehow, the shutter is working the same, but sounds different. It could be the mirror slap which actually produces a different noise

it was quite disturbing though. i thought my shutter up lorry liao :embrass:

anyone has an explanation?

does ur pictures still come out looking as how it shld be?

Anyone else noticed?

I tried googling but the only promising link was for the nikonians forum, that required me to register. No thanks. CS search function turned up much irrelevance for me, so please pardon me if this is a repeat qn.

The story is that the shutter sounds the same on 14 bit NEF across a wide range of shutter speeds. anything from abt 1/30 and faster sounds like it is at 1/30. even at 1/8000, the shutter sounds like it's very slow

switch to JPEG only, and the shutter sounds back to normal. it sounds faster at higher shutter speeds, and slower at slower speeds.

then i realised tt I had switched to 14 bit NEF. switched back to 12 bit, and the shutter sounds back to normal again.

I did a comparison between 14 bit NEF and jpg. same shutter speeds (fixed aperture/ISO) give the same exposure. so somehow, the shutter is working the same, but sounds different. It could be the mirror slap which actually produces a different noise

it was quite disturbing though. i thought my shutter up lorry liao :embrass:

anyone has an explanation?

I'm using a D300 as well..
If you can feel the mirror slap/shutter snap pretty much very strongly like I did for mine..
You might have to service your camera.
My camera's now at Nikon Service Centre as they said that I've a loose shutter.
Didn't know about it till my friends said that they can feel recoil on my camera..

does ur pictures still come out looking as how it shld be?

yes. just the shutter sounds slower in 14 bit nef

I'm using a D300 as well..
If you can feel the mirror slap/shutter snap pretty much very strongly like I did for mine..
You might have to service your camera.
My camera's now at Nikon Service Centre as they said that I've a loose shutter.
Didn't know about it till my friends said that they can feel recoil on my camera..

not sure if mine is normal, but it feels ok to me. doesn't affect my shooting. the clack sound is nice (maybe too loud in some situations) but i dun feel the "recoil" :bigeyes:

yes. just the shutter sounds slower in 14 bit nef

not sure if mine is normal, but it feels ok to me. doesn't affect my shooting. the clack sound is nice (maybe too loud in some situations) but i dun feel the "recoil" :bigeyes:

Used D300, never heard of or experience different bit rate will results in shutter or mirror movement differences.

The bitrate is just an internal chipset change, shouldn't have anything to do with shutter speed or mirror movement, or else you will be experiencing optical changes already like in 14 bit ,needs more light to maintain the same shutter speed, or at 14bits you get more motion blur etc...

Nevertheless, if you feel better with a check, go to the NSC then :)

there is a slight delay in the shutter when using 14bit, it is normal
it appears that in 14bit there is a 40-45msec shutter lag compared to 12bit...

appreciate the replies. but there is no additional motion blur tt i could see.

shutter lag, yes. but it should cause the shutter to fire later, sound shd still be the same.

unless the mirror has no lag but the shutter has lag :think:

wun be going to NSC unless there's a problem. i still view this as an interesting observation. i decided to stick to 12 bit RAW/ JPG and shoot as per normal

The continuous speed when you shoot in 14-bit raw will drop to 2.5fps. can check with dpreview or the user manual.

It does change from "click" to "click click" when we shoot in different encoding though for what i remember :sweatsm:

The continuous speed when you shoot in 14-bit raw will drop to 2.5fps. can check with dpreview or the user manual.

It does change from "click" to "click click" when we shoot in different encoding though for what i remember :sweatsm:

yeah i saw this too. only shot singles for 14 bit. decided to stick to 12 bit due to reduced shutter lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.