D300 / D300s / D90 / 50D

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanonFanz

Apr 6, 2009
Hi all,

I wanted to buy a dslr with choices listed above...between Nikon D300 / D300s / D90 / Canon 50D..

I wanted a camera with good high iso but low noise image.....

what kind of set up can i get???

can someone advice me....i want to get a body + walk around lens (sharp one and fast) + 1 prime lens + flash.....

Thanks.....please advice...urgently needed...

PS : Should i wait for comex instead??? but still i need the advice on the model and set up :D

Have you read the reviews and compared the sample images side by side? Have you held them in your hands to see which feels the most comfortable for your hands? Have you set your budget correctly, since you included a low-end D90 with a high-end midrange DSLR, the D300S?

Hey man, you can give the D300s a try. Its one hell of a cam. I got mine with a 50 F1.4 (AFS) and its really the best thing ive had since popcorn :D . Noise handling is really great even up to 1600. I tend to leave it on a lot at 1600 without worry of noise. If you wanna give it a try you can text me up or something. ~Cheers.

P.s. Apparently the D300s has a new processor over the D300 and in a way has slightly faster processing and better noise handling. (Source: PopPhoto.com)

Hi all,

I wanted to buy a dslr with choices listed above...between Nikon D300 / D300s / D90 / Canon 50D..

can someone advice me....i want to get a body + walk around lens (sharp one and fast) + 1 prime lens + flash.....

PS : Should i wait for comex instead??? but still i need the advice on the model and set up :D

Wah wah wah. Seems like you still never do enough homework.
I think you should luh, study the specs and stuff first? (or you already did :x)
Just play with a high end-old model one? With kit-lens, then play around.
Before you get more lenses. If not you don't really know what you like to shoot then what you need to get yea?
Listen to Rashkae gor gor ba.

Cheers, good luck! :thumbsup: ;)

Edit: I think D300s is good. D3k also. Aha

Last edited:
u are Canon fanz why only 1 option is Canon?? :bsmilie:

If you're considering the Nikon D300S, then you left out the Canon 7D. I'd say these 2 cameras are closer rivals than Canon's other offering, the 50D.

d300s.

if u wan to blow ur budget further, consider d700...it's a FF :)

Do your homework, make your own decision. Because it's finally your money and you are going to use the camera, not us. But since you are not comparing cameras at same level it's time for homework. You may wish you start at dpreview to get detailed reviews for each camera, including comparisons with rivals at the same level.
Comex is .. a computer fair (hence the name). Why do you want to get a camera there? Do you see a gardener for haircut? Both have scissors...:bsmilie: - there are Price guides here in the forum (*hint* Marketplace) which also include lists of camera shops. Chances of good deals are much better there.

Why 3 models from N and 1 from C? You decide which brand first and do a search.

Hi all,

i think u need to narrow down ur options further...

first decide between the D300 vs D300s
then maybe out of the 2 Nikons pick one D90 or D300/s

then between canon n nikon take ur pick... based on lens range, features, pros n cons, build

for me it was a choice between D90 vs 50D. n i'm decided (well 99%) on the D90.

its not very fair comparing a D300 to a 50D...
in that case of course the d300 will win... you should be comparing it with a 5D or something that has equivalent specs... in this case probs being the full frame sensor and good noise control...
those 2 cameras are virtually the same spec then its really up to you which one feels better for you to use..

The D300 isn't a full frame camera

THanks for all the advices...:)

Okay...now i have narrow down my choice to D300 (as i dont need the video function on D300s) or D90....in fact considering D700 (but unable to buy lens after buying the body ;p)....

Eliminate canon as i am aware from friends that the high iso is not that good....

Given above two (D300 / D90 ), which one is better at their high iso yet lower noise????

pls also advice 1 lens to accompany the body :) and 1 prime lens....:)

Thanks....any other suggestions are welcome ;)

PS : or is it better to get D90 and invest in better lens confused....

Last edited:
a review of d300s
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm

a review of d90
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

a comparsion between iso performance of d300 & d90(note no d300s)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/iso-3200.htm

i would not consider the d300,but consider the d300s or d90.

i dunno what type of pics u wan to take, but if it's 1 zoom n 1 prime, my suggestions are :

nikon 16-85VR : this is a veri sharp len and it's good for general photography.
it's very sharp throughout the whole range

prime : 50 f/1.8
either d300s or d90 can drive the auto-focus on this len.
it's dirt cheap and good.

do consider getting a flash...
sb600.
it helps.

i'm not sure abt the sb600, but i hv the sb900.
there's a function where it can do correction for the white balance if u are on auto WB.
i find it useful if i'm shootin indoor and not sufficient light.
also...if u r a jpeg shooter,this function is veri useful.
if RAW shooter, then no need.
jus get the sb600

Last edited:
Eliminate canon as i am aware from friends that the high iso is not that good....

hmm, i dun use Canon but i dun think that's totally true. Canon was caught up by Nikon in this area, but never really lose it in my opinion.

also dun feel that my D90's high iso performance is that superb.

a review of d300s
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm

a review of d90
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

a comparsion between iso performance of d300 & d90(note no d300s)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/iso-3200.htm

i would not consider the d300,but consider the d300s or d90.

i dunno what type of pics u wan to take, but if it's 1 zoom n 1 prime, my suggestions are :

nikon 16-85VR : this is a veri sharp len and it's good for general photography.
it's very sharp throughout the whole range

prime : 50 f/1.8
either d300s or d90 can drive the auto-focus on this len.
it's dirt cheap and good.

do consider getting a flash...
sb600.
it helps.

i'm not sure abt the sb600, but i hv the sb900.
there's a function where it can do correction for the white balance if u are on auto WB.
i find it useful if i'm shootin indoor and not sufficient light.
also...if u r a jpeg shooter,this function is veri useful.
if RAW shooter, then no need.
jus get the sb600

Hi Ijnek, thanks for your advices....

I thought D300s image quality is not much difference from D90??? especially high iso and low noise part?
Can D90 / D300s users outthere help me on this?

So its either D90 / D300s with a 16-85 + 50mm prime lens + SB900...

Help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.